Childhood Friends

Our Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Okay, now this really is the longest chapter I've ever written so far haha.

YamaRio and AmuDai shippers- please prepare yourselves! 3

 

--

 

"Both of you are still awake?" Chinen asked as soon as he entered his apartment unit with Yuto. It was now 2 in the morning and they would've gotten back a lot earlier if it weren't for their manager pulling the four aside to question their "improvised stunt". 

 

"Sleep hasn't really been our best friend lately." Rio explained, the televison still playing in the background. 

 

"Did you two um..." Yuto began, exchanging a quick glance with his childhood friend, "...watched the countdown?" 

 

Amu and Rio nodded and the two guys sighed in sync as they thought back to what unfolded a couple of hours ago. 

 

Earlier before, Ryosuke and Daiki made a regreftul announcement to the audience. 

 

"As of tonight, we have broken off our engagements with Yamada Rio and Kitagawa Amu. We will no longer be seeing them and will continue to dedicate our full efforts to continuing in Johnny's Entertainment with the rest of JUMP."

 

The entire dome fell into complete silence as the rest of the band returned to the stage in confusion of what Daiki and Ryosuke just announced.

 

"Maa, you two definitely know how to fool our fans!" Yuto chuckled into the microphone, placing an arm each over Ryosuke's and Daiki's shoulders. 

 

"We aren-" Daiki began but was immediately cut off by Chinen. "Calling off the engagement was what they would have been required to do if it weren't for all of your support. Thank you so much for making the dreams of JUMP come true." 

 

Before Ryosuke was able to protest, the audience erupted into cheers and many of them waved their uchiwas and lights in the colors of red and orange.

 

"There you have it." Yuto whispered, leaning into Ryosuke's ear. "You have the response from your fans."

 

Although Ryosuke was infuriated, he tried his best to pull off his signature smile and another wave of cheers erupted from the audience. "We can't thank you enough." He ended up saying, clutching his fingers tightly over his microphone before quickly glancing over to Daiki to follow along.

 

The latter smiled at the audience as well before bowing in turn. "We won't let this opportunity pass. We will work as hard as we can this year to put a smile on everyone's faces in return. Thank you!" 

 

Seeing how akward this situation turned out to be, Yuto and Chinen decided to bow as well. After finishing their bows, Chinen placed a hand on Daiki's shoulder and patted him to get his attention. He then quickly glanced towards backstage hoping that his friend would take the hint. Luckily, Daiki understood what the latter was hinting and decided to follow him back with Ryosuke and Yuto trailing them closely after. 

 

As if onstage wasn't crazy enough, the rest of JUMP rushed to their side with curiousity and confusion plastered on all of their faces. 

 

"What the heck was that?" Chinen asked, officially running out of patience for the night. "The next time you two think about pulling off a stunt, try to at least consult the rest of your team."

 

"Just letting you know, if something happens to the girls, it's on both of you." Ryosuke said, his eyes now pink from holding back his emotions for too long. He walked past the two, bumping into Yuto's arm before disappearing from the group. 

 

Daiki sighed in return and placed his microphone on the table before proceeding to check up on the latter. "Take good care of the girls." He said before dissappearing as well. 

 

The rest of JUMP stared cluelessly at Yuto and Chinen who already seemed defeated for the day. "it's a long story with an ending not written yet." Yuto told them. "We promise to tell you guys once it's over." 

 

Rio was now throwing her coat on. "Thanks for stopping them." she told the two while reaching for her hat. "Announcing something like this may actually put an end to their career. I personally don't mind their decision to announce it but I really think they should wait a bit given all of the recent events." 

 

"I think they may just be up to something..." Yuto mumbled. 

 

"What was that?" Rio asked and the latter immediately shook his head. "It's nothing. You ready?" 

 

Rio nodded and quickly ran to give Amu a quick hug before proceeding out the door with Yuto. "Chii, you better take care of Amu or else!" She said as Chinen playfully rolled his eyes. "When have I not?" he assured her as Amu felt her heart skip a beat. The younger girl gently wacked her childhood friend and smiled at his reaction. 

 

"Stay safe you two!" Amu added, bidding her farewells for the day to the other two. After Yuto and Rio had left Chinen's apartment. Amu and Chinen stood awkwardly next to each other The last time they've were alone together at his place was also the day they broke up. 

 

"I hope you didn't mind that I went ahead and used your shower to wash up!" Amu began. 

 

"Of course not." Chinen replied. "I should probably go wash up too. They kind of overdid it with the hairspray today." 

 

"Go ahead!" Amu assured him. "You don't have to worry about keeping me company."

 

"I know you're tired so feel free to sleep first. I already washed my bed sheets before we left for the vacation. I'll take the sofa."

 

"Chii, it's your place overall. I'm totally fine right here." She insisted, patting the sofa. 

 

The latter shook his head. "You know I would never let you sleep on the sofa. Like you said, it's my apartment so under my request- I want you to sleep on the bed okay?" 

 

"Fineee." Amu pouted, walking into his bedroom. "Now go shower so you can hurry and sleep. I know you're exhausted too."

 

Chinen smiled back at her before grabbing a quick change of clothes then disappearing off into the bathroom. 

 

As soon as Amu heard the water turn on, she turned to proceed back into the living room. However, it wasn't until her eyes landed on a small framed picture on his desk that made her stop to take a closer look- It was a picture that the two took together back in their highschool days. "You kept this picture the entire time?" she uttered quietly. After reminsicing the time they spent together years ago, she let out a heavy sigh before finally exiting his room. 

 

Amu grabbed a spare blanket from the closet and then proceeded back towards the sofa. Her mind was clouded with memories of the time she spent with Daiki in the past month. Not wanting to forget these treasured memories, she closed her eyes and tried her best to paint them in her mind. 

 

Eventually, she unconsciously drifted to sleep. It wasn't long before Chinen came out of the shower a little later to find her fast asleep on the sofa. "You're going to hurt your back here." he whispered to her.

 

Chinen knew how stiff the sofa was- he had accidentally fell asleep in it a couple of times before and remembered exactly how painful his back felt the following morning. "Amu-chan" he whispered again to her.

 

Since she didn't budge, Chinen let out a sigh and tried his best to carry her without waking her up. Unfortunately, he wasn't too successful as Amu started mumbling in confusion of the moment. "Chii?" She uttered, still half asleep. 

 

"You're too stubborn Amu-chan." He chuckled quietly in disbelief before gently placing her under the blankets in his bed. 

 

"But where will you sleep?" 

 

"On the sofa." 

 

Amu shook her head and shifted over before patting the empty space next to her on his bed. "I remember how much in pain you were from sleeping on the sofa. If you don't want me to sleep there then I won't let you either." 

 

Chinen sighed in defeat. "Are you sure?" 

 

Amu nodded. and patted the space next to her once more. Chinen felt his heart racing as followed her instructions. It wasn't long before the two found themselves laying next to each other in the dark with just the full moon illuminating the room on this chilly night.

 

"Happy New Year, Chii.." She uttered before slowly drifting back to sleep. 

 

"Happy New Year, Amu." Chinen replied. "I hope this year will treat you well." 

 

--

 

"It's not really fancy or anything but feel free to make yourself at home." Yuto insisted, pushing open the front door to his apartment.

 

Rio glanced around and widened her eyes in surprise. "Yuto, your place is huge!" She exclaimed, running directly into the living area where a massive kitchen overlooked. It was a lot bigger than the apartments of the other member's she had visited before and she wondered why they decided to always host parties at Chinen's place instead. 

 

Seeing that there was a large balcony at the other end of the living room, Rio immediately rushed towards it and once she hopped outside, she took in a huge breath of the fresh air. Yuto's unit rested on the top floor of the luxury building complex and the view overlooking Tokyo was uncomparable. 

 

Rio found herself lost in her thoughts as she admired the beauty of the city's sky line. It wasn't until Yuto tapped the glass behind her that snapped her attention back to reality. 

 

"Here's a spare towel for you" Yuto offered, handing her the towel. "Feel free to shower first."

 

"Thanks Yuto, but you can go ahead and wash up first. It's so beautiful up here that I want to admire it a bit more." 

 

The latter noticed how at peace she was and he smiled at the sight of her relaxed expression. However, after noticing how chilly it was, he went to grab a light blanket from the closet before returning to place it on her shoulders. "Don't catch a cold though!" 

 

As soon as Yuto disappeared, Rio slumped her shoulders. She never would have expected to be here today, staying over at her childhood friend's apartment. In fact, this was the first time she had ever slept over at another guy's place. Afterall, Ryosuke was her first and only love.

 

After admiring the view for a couple of more minutes, Rio finally decided to step back indoors before sliding close the balcony doors behind her. 

 

Being the curious person she was, she then decided to familarize herself with a tour around the place. However, Rio nearly regretted doing so when she passed by the bathroom door and collided into Yuto when he stepped out of the shower. 

 

In just a couple of seconds, the small girl found herself trapped between a wall and the man in front of her. Yuto originally had a towel over his head to dry his hair so he wasn't able to see anything in front of him. He knew his apartment well enough but definitely wasn't expecting Rio to be there. Not wanting to lose his balance after colliding with her, he placed his hand on the wall to support himself while glancing down at her to make sure he didn't crush her. 

 

Meanwhile, Rio blinked her eyes at the sight of his bare chest in front of her. Although Ryosuke was a tad short, her eyes always seemed to be at least neck level with him. However, with Yuto being much taller, this was a completely different story. 

 

"S-sorry!" Rio stammered, her eyes adverting away from his built. She was so close to him that she could smell the scent of the soap from his body. She felt her face heating up in embarrassment and immediately covered it with her hands. 

 

"No it's my fault- I should've watched where I was going." Yuto apologized before running into his bedroom. "I accidentally left my shirt on top of my dresser" He explained, stepping back out with his chest now covered with a grey tank-top.

 

"Rio-chan, your face is really red. Don't tell me you caught another fever" He exclaimed in worry, placing a hand on her forehead. 

 

"I'm okay! My face tends to get red whenever I'm outside for too long" Rio lied in panic. "Actually, maybe right now is a good time for me tor wash up!" She suggested before running back into the living room to grab her bag then dashing into the bathroom.

 

After she closed the door, Yuto leaned back against the wall and ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. "I can't fall in love with you so why are my feelings already this strong?" He thought before proceeding to tidy his apartment up for the upcoming days. 

 

By the time Rio had finished washing up for the day, Yuto had already changed the bed sheets and insisted for her to sleep on his bed. The sofa in the living room can easily be changed into a sofa bed and it was "equally as comfortable!" as Yuto insisted. Not seeing a way for her to protest as a guest in his apartment, the two said their goodnights and Rio tucked herself into the bed after turning off the lights.

 

However, something just didn't settle right for her. The scent was different- the sheets didn't have Ryosuke's familiar scent lingering on it. She held the blanket tight to her and curled up into a ball feeling uneasy of his missing presence. 

 

After about two hours of fumbling, turning, and sighing, Rio finally gave up on trying to sleep and decided to take a step out to get a glass of water. When she stepped out into the living room, she noticed that a blue light emited from where the sofa was and when she squinted further, she realized that it was coming from the telivision that Yuto was quietly watching.

 

"Yuto?" She uttered walking towards him.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter