overworked | surene

glimpses

“God, this is so good.” He moaned, off the flavorsome liquid off his lower lip.

“You like it that much?” She asked, giggling.

He nodded aggressively in delight. “This is the best meal you’ve ever done!”

“It was Seungwan who cooked that though. I just reheated it.” She pouted.

“Oh.” Embarassed, Junmyeon scratched his head and stared at the kimchi stew in front of him. Awkwardly, he quickly made it up to her. “It’s okay. Everything tastes better with you anyway.”

Joohyun bit her cheeks to keep herself laughing. Two years into their relationship and she still couldn’t get used to his cheezy pick-up lines. Quietly, she just watched him gobble the stew heartily. After finding out that he’s been relying on supplements and instant foods (or probably just subway sandwiches again) for the past few days because of his work, she’s happy to see him eat something proper again.

“Oh! I forgot I bought something for you.” Junmyeon suddenly exclaimed, startling Joohyun. Before she even got to ask it, Junmyeon has already fled the dining room, only to come back a minute later to Joohyun clearing the table. Joohyun turned back to see him grinning like a fool and waving something rectangle she couldn’t quite make out of.

Unintended consequences!” Junmyeon squealed, approaching his girlfriend behind the kitchen counter to hand her the DVD. “I passed by the CD store and saw that this was already available on blu-ray. We never really got to watch this one since I remember cancelling our movie date when we’re about to. I’m sorry.”

Joohyun looked at the movie she was holding. Unintended Conosequences is another one of Cha Tae Hyun’s legendary movies, new to his list of other ones. However, it didn’t exactly satisfy her taste and she ended up labeling it as overrated. Junmyeon did cancel their date that time and she ended up watching the movie with the girls, and it has already been a month. However, looking at how excited her love was she didn’t want to let him down. Besides, he probably didn’t have the time to watch it until now. “Put it in then. I’ll be there in a minute.” She passed the disc to him and he grabbed excitedly, like a little kid getting his chocolate, and ran to the living room.

Joohyun was already wiping her hands dry after she washed the dishes when the movie started. Junmyeon hollered from the living room, “Hyun-a, come on!”

“I’m here, I’m here. Okay?” She complained, grabbing a pillow and slumping on the couch. Junmyeon scooted to her side, his knees folded up to his chest. The movie started and the two quietly watched it. However, because she’s already seen it, she didn’t find any interest in the movie. Instead, she focused her interest to the man beside her. The lights are off and his face is only lit by the soft blue glow of the TV screen, but anyone could clearly see his serious and analyzing eyes. Like in everything he does, he just had to be passionate over it. All of a sudden, she laughed.

“What the—?” He asked, surprised.

“Why are you so serious? It’s a rom-com. It’s supposed to be light.” She observed.

Junmyeon couldn’t help but to laugh with her. Even in the dim, her smile didn’t fail to light up his world every time. “I just wanted to know what everyone was hyping this about.” He answered.

Minutes passed and the movie progressed. Every now and then they share a laugh and exchange snide remarks. However, in one particular scene, Joohyun was the only one laughing. She noticed her partner has been unresponsive for a while now. Looking up, she saw his head has already hung against the wall, his mouth slightly open, his breathing slow and tired. Joohyun gently tucked his bangs to the side, revealing his already closed eyes. Sighing, she reached for the remote to turn off the TV. Slowly she leaned him down on to the length of the sofa, making sure his head is safely leaned on the pillow.

She squatted on the floor to watch him breathe for a few seconds. He looks so tired and pale that it hurts her heart so much. All she wants is to take care of him, but he keeps insisting for her not to worry. If she didn’t demand to make him eat tonight, at this rate of how he’s been working, he would’ve been dead by now. Caressing his cheek softly, she kissed his forehead and was ready to leave. However, he caught her wrist and stopped her from moving an inch further.

“Don’t go.” He called, his eyes slowly opening. “Stay, please.”

“I can’t. I have a schedule tomorrow.” She told him apologetically.

“Just for the night. I’ll wake you up really early. I have to be early tomorrow too anyway.” He negotiated. “I missed you.”

Sighing, she didn’t resist anymore. Grabbing a blanket from the sidetable, she cramped to the couch with him and spread the blanket across their bodies, making sure their feet are also covered. Satisfied, he squeezed her tightly with an impish grin, making her wince softly. As his embrace softened, Joohyun watched his expression fade into a sleepy and soft picture.

“I’m sorry I haven’t spent much time on you. You must’ve loved me less by now.” He whispered.

Joohyun shook her head against his arm. “That’s not true… although I am a little mad at you.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I know. I’m just worried.” She assured, running her fingers through his messy hair. “I fell in love with you because I saw how hard you’ve been working and how much passion you give out every time you’re on something… but now… you’re being a pain in the right now for always making me worry.”

Softly he chuckled. “Mmnhmsorrmmy.” He cooed indistinctly.

Joohyun realized that he’s already half asleep by now. “Okay. Just sleep, then. I love you.” Reaching for her phone, she set an alarm for 4:00 AM. She sighed, also resigning and pushed herself closer to his chest. The couple spent the night tangled under the blanket, cramped on the small space of the couch, and all their worries set aside for when the day comes. Tonight, it’s just them.

 

“Thank you, everyone! You’ve all worked hard today!” The director announced as everyone bowed to each other. When everyone had been dismissed, Joohyun waited for her manager in the car as he talked with the directors about the final details of the CF they’re filming. As soon as she got to sit, she immediately looked for her phone, and as expected, Junmyeon already had sent her an array of messages.

KJM: good morning, my love

KJM:  hey, y ddnt u wake me up?

KJM:  sorry we ddnt get 2 finish d movie

KJM: it wasn’t that good anyway

Joohyun laughed at his comment.

KJM: let’s watch another one nxt tym ok? i’ll find a better one :D

KJM: but still, thank u for last nite. i really missed u.

KJM: ugh what will i do now? u make me miss you more

KJM: sorry, u must b busy. i’m late for the meeting 2 anyway, i blame you for  letting me sleep dat long!

KJM: oh well. fighting today!!! i luv u, joohyun-ah!!!

And then the rest of the messages are all emojis with a heart on it. Joohyun giggled, and quickly typed back a reply.

BJH: we just finished. hv u eaten yet?

To Joohyun’s surprise, he replied back within seconds.

KJM: yes. meeting done too.

His short answer made her suspicious. Knowing that Junmyeon goes online the minute he wakes up to send her a good morning text, she checked on the time he sent his first message. 9:36 AM—he has slept for more than 10 hours, he must’ve been really that tired. It’s already 11:02 am which means their meetings, which usually lasts for an hour didn’t give him time to eat anything so he could rush.

BJH: Liar.

KJM: hehe u know me so well

BJH: *angry emojis*

KJM: wanna hv lunch?

Joohyun checked her schedule. Their practice won’t start until 3:00 PM.

BJH: i hv time. wer r u?

KJM: SM center

BJH: ok, i’m gonna grab some sushi. meet u in da rooftop?

KJM: ok!! see u!! ^^

 

Since there was no elevator for the last 3 floors of the building, Joohyun had to travel through the stairs in her heels. She arrived at Junmyeon who was waiting for her in his neat navy blue suit with a warm welcoming smile which made her smile too. Junmyeon quickly ran to snatch everything that she’s holding.

“You should’ve told me you’re already here. It must’ve been hard climbing the stairs with those heels while holding these heavy stuff.” He worried.

“It’s fine. I’m already here anyway.” She waved his worry off and sat down to a bench. They opened the paper bag of sushi and set the food in front of them. Junmyeon broke off a set of chopsticks to give to her, and then they started picking each kind of sushi to chew.

“What was your meeting all about?” She asked him.

“Ahh, some sponsors demanded some terms and I had to be there to negotiate the welfare of my members. I don’t want to compromise their freedom just because some people who are willing to spend money on us demanded so.” He grumbled, angrily chewing a tuna.

“Did it go well?”

“Both sides have to comprise, at least.” He concluded. His serious expression suddenly lit up as soon as he remembered something. “I have good news.”

“Is it a raise?” She joked.

“Unfortunately, I don’t have control on that. Yet.” He laughed. “But I guess I have something we can celebrate for now?”

“What is it?”

“I asked for a 6-day break…” He smilingly informed.

Joohyun’s eyes widened and her jaw dropped in happiness. “Oh my god, finally! You get the rest you deserve!”

“… and I want to spend it all on you.” He finished.

Joohyun stared at him, stunned. She felt her face grow red at his invitation. “How about your family? They should be missing you right now.”

Of course, he knew she’d worry about his family. “It’s okay. They’ve been a bit occupied by their new nephew anyway.” Junmyeon’s brother just had his second son last month and their parents couldn’t get enough of him.

“Okay… but what do you want to do in 6 days with me?” She asked.

Junmyeon wiggled his eyebrows mischievously. “Oh I think you know what I wanna do the whole day to you.” Joohyun threw her pouch on his face as her face grow redder, making him laugh at how embarrassed she looked. “Kidding, I’m kidding!” Quickly, he regained himself. “I actually want to travel with you. I just want get away from this city as far as possible with you.”

Like the composed woman she is, she immediately fixed herself up, although the blushing is still visible. “Have you thought of any place?”

“Nothing in my mind. Abroad maybe? I was kinda wishing you’d decide. I want you to take over me for my leave anyway.”

Joohyun softly smiled at his request. “I’ll think of it then. Is this okay though, for you to be suddenly taking a leave? Don’t you have more work to do?”

He laughed. “I can’t understand you. Last night you said you’re worrying because I work too much, but now that I’m going to rest, you’re worried about my work.”

Joohyun lowered her head. “I just don’t want you to get in trouble if you’re doing this for me.”

He sighed. “I’m doing this for the both of us. I really love you, Joohyun-ah, and I don’t wanna lose you just because I’m too indulged in my work. I don’t want the time to come when you’re already burned out worrying about me and taking care of me. This time I want to take care of you.”

Joohyun bit her lower lip, trying to keep the tears from escaping. She stood up and hugged him on his back, snuggling her head on his shoulder. “Thank you. That means a lot to me.”

Junmyeon pulled her to his front and sat her on his lap. “That’s because you mean a lot to me.” With that, he slithered his hand behind her head and pushed her towards him and brought her lips to his.

 

Two years in to their relationship and it hasn’t been always easy. They had to hide their love for each other from the public so the two years had been a history of sneaking out and escaping out. They have been tested by so many variables—by time, by work, by fans, by distance—but here they are, cherishing every moment they have. The 6-day leave will be the longest time they’ll ever be together. It’s a bit risky because it would be easier to catch them, yes, but they have been together for everything that nothing would ever matter but only the fact that they love each other.