good night | wensoo

glimpses

“And they lived happily ever after.” Kyungsoo finished, closing the book. He placed the book on the bedside table gently as he was afraid to wake up the small figure snuggled tightly against his chest. Even so, the little child felt his movement and stirred, freezing him halfway. After counting to three, making sure his daughter was still asleep, he exhaled in relief.

Slowly, he pushed her sidewards, rolling her off his arm which almost felt numb as she had rested on it for too long. He tucked her under her blanket as he slid off the bed, making sure she was settled warmly and comfortably. He even set her favorite penguin toy beside her for her to find the first thing she wakes up. To conclude this routine, he placed a light kiss on her forehead and turned off the lamp. Soundlessly, he stepped out of the room and closed the door.

Noticing the lights on the next room are still on, he peeked to see his wife casually surfing the internet on her iPad. She noticed him staring at her from the door and smiled at him. “Is Yeoreum asleep?”

Kyungsoo nodded in confirmation. He leaned against the door frame and crossed his arms. Raising an eyebrow, he asked, “It’s late. Why are you still up?”

Wendy shrugged, going back to her screen. “Can’t sleep, I guess.”

“Have you drunk your milk?” He asked as he entered the room. Wendy just hummed yes, ignoring him as she continued to click on links she find interesting.

Annoyed of his wife ignoring him, he snatched the gadget from her and checked out what she was searching for. “Are you hungry? Why are you searching up for restaurants?”

Wendy rolled her eyes. “Our anniversary’s next week and I want to try something new. I’m not going back to Gilligan’s anymore. Their steak didn’t quite fit my taste… fine, I’ll be honest, it’s disgusting.”

“Well that’s another off the list.” Kyungsoo sighed. Wendy had been becoming pickier these days (and not only in food!). They couldn’t go back to their favorites (like Gilligan’s) anymore because, for some reason, they don’t taste as delicious as she remembered anymore. They’ve already tried almost all restaurants around Seoul they can find from the Michelin app already. Most of these days, they cook their own food at home to be able to match Wendy’s mood.

Kyungsoo turned off the iPad and hid it along with his glasses in the drawer of the bedside table. “It’s still far long. You don’t have to worry about it yet.” He assured her.

Wendy groaned. “I know. I just had nothing to do. Your son’s not letting me sleep. He’s been kicking me nonstop; I think he’s having a party in there.”

His husband laughed at her grumble. Diving into the sheets, he pulled the part covering her growing bump and saw his son’s little movements against his mother’s skin. He gently caressed her belly and kissed it smilingly. “Isn’t our little Hyeonsik a bit too much awake tonight? You’re keeping mom up. She needs sleep too!” He cooed. Kyungsoo shot straight up when he just had an idea. “Should I read him a story too? It works well with Yeoreum.”

“Hmm.” Wendy contemplated. “How about you sing him a song instead? I think both of us we’ll enjoy that.” She requested, tilting her head to plea.

Kyungsoo chuckled. He knew she’s just making an excuse to make him sing her to sleep. “Alright then.”

He pulled her to his side and grabbed the blanket up to their chests. Snaking his arm under her head, he pushed her closer to him. Wendy gladly complied with his embrace and nestled closer to his chest, allowing him to rest his chin on top of her head. Kyungsoo reached for her bump under the sheets and softly it with his thumb as his hand laid flat on it.

“What should I sing?” He asked her.

“Anything you like.” Her answer was muffled against his shirt.

“Okay, then.” And so he started singing: “Seems like we’ve been here before, your eyes are staring straight into my co—

A soft hit on the chest cut him off. “No, not that! It’ll make me want to sing with you! I thought you want me to sleep.” She protested.

Kyungsoo paused to think before starting the second song. “She’s dreaming, she’s dreaming…”

Kyungsoo didn’t get to finish the song because he fell asleep midway; he was already trying hard to keep his eyes open by the time he reached the second chorus. But it didn’t matter because Wendy fell asleep earlier than him anyway. The couple was unaware of how both of them fell into slumber, but they were tangled with each other, enjoying each’s presence in peace and serenity of the night. Even the unborn son stuck between them fell asleep. Little did they know he’ll wake his mother tomorrow, and when he does, he would want to finally meet them.