roommates | wenyeol

glimpses

“You’re really not going to watch Minseok’s game?” Junmyeon asked his roommate as he wore a jacket over his shirt.

Chanyeol shook his head and sniffed. “They’re matched with Yonsei today , and the only balls those guys can kick are their own. I don’t need to be there to know who’s going to win.”

Junmyeon chuckled at the imagery. “That’s still worth the entertainment.”

“Guess who’s here!” Someone from the outside called, following a series of excited drumming on the door. Junmyeon rushed to open the door and was met by howling and unintelligible cheering. Jongdae, Jongin, Baekhyun, and Sehun did not need to be invited in as they jumpily invade the house with overflowing excitement, which Chanyeol worried the neighbors below them would be complaining about later.

“Well, aren’t you guys a treat for the ears and the eyes!” Chanyeol greeted them amidst the noise. One of the reasons he had to decline their invitation to watch soccer, no matter how much he wants to show support to his friend who is a player, is that he hated sitting beside a group of losers wearing tacky blue jersey jackets with lame clapbacks patched at their back. If he had to give an award for the most cringe-worthy slogan, he’s going to give it to Jongdae whose read “minseok will kick your balls and mine later”. Minseok liked it though.

 “I’m sorry you have to miss the game. We’ll take videos if you want.” Jongdae tried to console him by patting his back.

Chanyeol coughed on cue. “Tell Minseok I’ll be praying for their win even if I’m home. Besides, I need to do some chores too while I’m on a rest.”

Junmyeon scoffed loudly. “He’s just pretending to be sick. He just wants to send us off and be alone with her girlfriend. The only thing he’d be doing is his secret girlfriend.”

Chanyeol winced. “Please stop saying things about her like that.”

“Ooh, is our Mister Too-Cool-for-personalized-jackets finally getting soft?” Junmyeon teased, poking him on his side.

Chanyeol pursed his lips to keep himself from responding just so his friend could stop. If only he knew who he was hiding, Junmyeon would be regretting everything he just said.

“You’re missing your friend’s soccer game for her? Looks like this is getting serious.” Jongin remarked.

Junmyeon almost jumped to his feet when Chanyeol suddenly turned to him and stared at him with sincere eyes. He didn’t let go of the eye contact even as he answered Jongin’s question, “Yes. Yes, it is.” He raised a brow at him, silently asking what he has to do with the question. Chanyeol just shrugged him off.

“So,” Baekhyun said as he chewed on a banana. “When do we get to meet this mystery girl? You’ve been yapping about how great she is nonstop but you never showed us any face to match the stories. Are you sure you’re not just imagining her?”

Chanyeol suddenly tittered. “Sometimes I would think so. She’s just so surreal.”

Everyone just stared at their friend smiling like a fool and whose eyes are sparkling at the thought of his girlfriend. If other person would see him, they would think he’s gone crazy. This was not the grumpy and overly competitive Chanyeol they’ve always known.

“So from what magical kingdom did she come from?” Baekhyun cut off his daze.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Don’t you have a soccer game to go to?”

Junmyeon rubbed his back to calm him. He told the guys, “Don’t worry. She’s real, alright. The noises from his room the other night were too loud to be solely Chanyeol’s.”

The news made him bolt up from his chair, his eyes wide and jaw dropped in horror. “What do you mean you heard us? You were home that night?!”

Junmyeon was already leading the group towards the door. “Next time you two want to do something, make sure no one’s around.” He said, grabbing his keys and stepping outside. “Like this.” And he pulled the door close, leaving only a horrified Chanyeol in the room.

*

Chanyeol remained standing in the middle of the living room, still processing how the person he didn’t want to find out about his relationship the most had just caught them in the worst possible situation. He was only pulled out of trance when two small arms s around his waist.

“Have they all left?” She asked, looking around the room. “I didn’t hear any more howling so I figured I can come out.”

He held her hands on his sides before turning around to her. “Seungwan-ah…”

Seungwan didn’t expect his expression at all. He looked like he just saw a ghost. “What’s wrong?”

“S-shouldn’t we tell your brother the truth a-already? I’m pretty sure h-he’s starting to catch on.” He stuttered.

She got confused on what her boyfriend was talking about. “We’ve been doing this for months and he still got no clue.”

“Oh, oh, oh, I’m telling you he already has a hint.” He started to bite his thumbnail in nerviness.

She pulled his hand off his mouth and looked up at him reassuringly. “He’ll find out soon, and in the most perfect time. For now, let’s enjoy this relationship just for the two of us, okay?”

She was right, he thought. They didn’t want everyone to know because it had been going really well; and maybe the reason why it is going really well was that it was a secret. The fact that it was only the two of them who knew about each other helped them figure out the vital parts of their relationship on their own without anyone meddling and it had been fun for the both of them. Maybe when they’re ready to tell everyone, by that time they’d know that their relationship would be solid. He just has to endure a little bit more.

As if reading his thoughts, she assured him once again. “I know it’s hard. But you know what would make it easier?” She asked as she tugged his belt loose.

Chanyeol smirked. “I know. And we’ve got all afternoon.” He dipped to kiss her deeply full on the lips. She smiled through the contact as she clung to his shirt tighter, consenting him to go rough. Chanyeol unreservedly complied, supporting her back with one hand and the other holding her nape.

Even though he was getting rougher, he was careful not to crush her small figure in his embrace. His hand crawled higher on her back, searching for the clasp of her bra. He quickly unhooked it as soon as he found it, making Seungwan giggle at his obvious excitement without pulling away from the kiss.

“Hey, I forgot my wallet—WHAT THE ?!”

The couple stopped breathing as they pull away from each other and turn around to the presence of an audience. Her brother was standing behind them, his face getting red in fury and confusion.

“While you’re at it, can you get an extra bottle of—“ Jongdae followed Junmyeon but was immediately cut off by the scene he arrived to. He slowly backed away. “Looks like I really shouldn’t be here, so I’ll just let you three deal on your own.”

“Jongdae, please don’t go!” Chanyeol shouted.

Seungwan frowned at his action.

“I might get killed tonight, I need witnesses.” Chanyeol defended.

“Oh, you’re getting killed alright!” Junmyeon threatened, furiously running to them.

Chanyeol ran behind Seungwan and grabbed her shoulders, dragging her in circles as a shield to her manic brother as the man attempt to catch his target. Seungwan couldn’t do anything, he was stuck between two men’s merry go round and she was starting to get dizzy. Getting tired of their little play, she blindly pushed her brother off them, making him crumble like withered vegetable.

She had no idea why his brother would think he could beat a man ten times bigger than him, but Chanyeol was no different in getting scared by someone she knows bruises like a peach. However, the mockery will come next after this was all settled down. For now, she has a brother they need to talk to.

Junmyeon got back to his feet and was ready to attack again if Jongdae didn’t run to him and restrained him.

“Come on, let’s talk this out like civilized people, can’t we?” Jongdae suggested as he sit down his angry friend to the sofa. Junmyeon kicked a fallen pillow against the wall, startling everyone in the room. Jongdae awkwardly patted his back, calming him down. “There, there. There, there.” Then he looked up to the guilty couple. “Anyone wants to explain first?”

The two looked at each other, each unwilling to speak first.

Junmyeon let an outraged groan out, grabbing his own hair in frustration. His head felt like it was going to implode any second now. “This is unbelievable! Specially you, Chanyeol! I trusted you!”

“You didn’t really say anything about your sister, so I thought—“ Chanyeol’s attempt in explanation was effectively cut off by Junmyeon’s sharp glare.

“Dude, there’s a golden rule which states hands-off your friend’s ex, sister, mother—“ Jongdae was also cut off by Junmyeon’s glare. “What? I was trying to help!”

Junmyeon sharply breathed in his anger before speaking. “Since when was this going on?”

Chanyeol softly pushed Seungwan to answer.

“When you got sick and sent him to give me a tour around the campus instead.” She hurriedly answered.

“That was four months ago!” Junmyeon shouted in disbelief. Covering his face in shame, he realized, “Does that mean I’m the one who brought you two together?!”

“I’m sorry you had to find it this way. But we were going to tell you soon, we just had to find the perfect time.” His sister explained.

“When? You’ve had all the time to tell me the truth instead of sneaking in and out of this apartment!” He retorted.

Seungwan’s eyes grew bigger than the moon. “Oh my god, you were here the whole time? Do you ever get out of the damn house?!”

“And the walls are pretty thin too!” He added, making his sister gasp in embarrassment. He had to cringe at the memories of Chanyeol excusing himself from their hangouts because he had to do something when in fact he caught him multiple times he was doing someone. Little did he know that someone was his little sister!

But Junmyeon was not the only sibling left in utter devastation. Seungwan just realized it must be what Chanyeol wanted to tell her a while ago. She stepped away from his brother to let the information sink in and the extreme humiliation settle in. Not only did her brother had heard the audio version of his sister and best friend doing each other, he also caught the preview of the live version just now.

Recognizing that his partner would not be able to contribute to this conversation from now on, Chanyeol had to swoop in. “I know you’re really mad right now—“

“You think?!”

“But we’re not just messing around.” Chanyeol bravely took her hand and intertwined their fingers together. He gave her a little squeeze to assure her before he continued, “I’m in love with Seungwan. The past four months that I had with where were the best I ever had. I didn’t mean to surprise you like this, or break your trust, but we were just scared on how you were going to react. But now that everything’s out in the open, I would appreciate it if you would approve of us. Not only because you are her family, but because you are my best friend and that you should know she’s making me really happy.”

Junmyeon’s expression softened at his speech. Still, he would like to hear from his sister. Looking at her with stern eyes, he asked, “Do you have something to add?”

Seungwan nodded lightly then turned to Chanyeol with earnest eyes. “I love him too. And even if you won’t approve, I won’t care. Even if it means I’m going to be selfish, I’ll still see him.”

Chanyeol felt the sincerity in her words tug his heart. He leaned in to show his appreciation through a kiss but Junmyeon cut them off.

“I’m still here!” He stressed.

The two quickly pulled away from each other and lowered their heads. Seungwan cleared before speaking up again. “Hey, I know you’re familiar with some bad decisions I have made in my entire life, but for once I know I was doing the right thing. And I know you know Chanyeol enough to trust him, don’t you?”

Junmyeon didn’t want to admit it, but she was right. He’s known Chanyeol long enough to know he’s not a bad guy. And his sister is not a child anymore for him to meddle in her decisions. She’s too stubborn to listen to him anyway. Despite still having several objections, Junmyeon decided there was nothing else he could do but accept the fact that his best friend and sister are seeing each other.

He sighed in resignation. “Just make yourselves worthy of my trust.”

Chanyeol and Wendy’s faces lightened up. Chanyeol couldn’t help but to ramble his gratefulness. “You have no idea what a relief it is to finally tell you and to know that you’re okay with this. I promise you, I’ll take care of her and if there’s anything going on between us we’ll tell you everything—“

“And that includes if we’re going to be needing the apartment alone,” Seungwan quipped in. Junmyeon just stared at her in judgment, making her realize it still wasn’t the right time to joke about it. “I love you, thank you, you’re the best brother ever.” She rushed to cover her mistake, hugging him.

Just then, Junmyeon realized something as he saw the open door behind them. “Where the hell is Jongdae?”