gossip | surene

glimpses

Junmyeon spun his pen repeatedly between his fingers while his other hand tapped to the beat of the rain softly hitting the glass wall. He stretched his arms into the air as he let a big yawn out, hoping he gets the boredom of his system. However, he only resorted to humming a song to keep himself up. Later, he got caught up in his own little concert and started drumming the books in front of him.

Joohyun slammed her notebook close, effectively stopping his drumming. She knew he had been intentionally annoying her and she could not ignore him anymore. “Are you bored now?”

He grumblingly kept crossed his arms and slumped on the back of the chair. “We’ve been studying for hours now, aren’t you tired yet?” 

“We have Prelims in three days; if you want to fail, don’t take me down with you.” Joohyun warned as she reopened her notes.

“I’ve been reading the same page for the past hour. The book says pseudotumor cerbri but my mind is playing last night’s episode of Hotel Del Luna.” He complained. “Can we please take a break?”

She clicked her tongue in frustration. “You can take a break, just don’t annoy me.”

“I can’t! Seeing how hard you’re studying kinda making me feel bad for myself.” He pouted, his eyes pleading.

Knowing she won’t be able to resist that face, she forfeited to his request. “Fine, but only for fifteen minutes.”

“Yes!” Junmyeon threw fist pumps in the air in celebration. “I’ll get you a refill.” He said, taking both their empty mugs to the counter. He came back to Joohyun stacking her study materials neatly to clear the table.

He put down the tray carrying their newly filled coffees and two slices of cakes—red velvet for Joohyun, cosmic latte for himself. “So, what’s new with you? Tell me everything. We don’t just talk anymore.”

“Junmyeon. That’s all we ever do.” She paused to take a sip from her mug. “We just spent last night talking about the best ballads for hours.”

“Yes, but we spent half of that making out so it’s not counted.” He retorted with a mischievous grin.

She shook her head in disapproval and at the same time to shake off her blushing from remembering last night’s events. “Fine, what do you want to talk about?”

He held his chin between his fingers and looked far in contemplation. After a few seconds, he came up with an idea. “So…” Junmyeon leaned closer to her, his eyes big and filled with curiosity. “What’s going on with Chanyeol and Wendy? What does Wendy think of him?”

Joohyun narrowed her eyes in suspicion. “Did Chanyeol ask you to ask that?”

He pulled himself back to his seat and scratched his head in guilt. Either he was really just a bad actor or she’s really just smart enough to catch on in a second. “Was it obvious?”

Out of nowhere, she started laughing loudly. Her laugh was so crisp and shrill that Junmyeon felt judgmental stares turn to their table, making him feel a little embarrassed. “Oh my god, those two are so dense!”

He raised a brow in question.

She cleared of what’s left of her laughter before she answered his unspoken question. “Wendy also asked me to ask you what Chanyeol think of her! Those two are so obviously into each other but they keep testing the waters that no one really had the guts to dive in.”

Junmyeon raised his glass to her observation. “Everyone already thinks they’re together anyway, what are they still so scared of? And now they’re trying to get us in their drama too?”

Joohyun’s lips curled into a wicked smile. “Do you think we should meddle?”

His eyes widened. “What do you mean meddle?”

“You do realize that they’re relying on us for their next moves right? We have the power to make them do whatever we want them to do.” She elaborated, her fingers tented in front of her.

“It’s already taking them too long to realize each other’s feeling, let’s not delay it.” He suggested.

Joohyun groaned. “It would be fun! And don’t even deny you like getting involved in a drama, you love feeling relevant.”

“Hey, that’s not true!” He protested. Joohyun tilted her head in contention. “You got me.” He admitted in a sigh. “What’s the plan?”

She smiled before elaborating her thoughts. And for someone who was just scolding about their upcoming exams, Joohyun spelled out an intricately designed plan which seemed like it had been planned for years. But what’s really amusing Junmyeon was how passionately she was explaining her scheme: filled with pride and conviction.

“Now, tell me I’m the smarter than Cupid will ever be!” Joohyun concluded her plan.

“God, you’re so hot right now, I just wanna take you out right here, right now.” He answered instead.

She huffed. “You just ruined the moment. Fifteen minute’s up, go back to your books.”

Junmyeon couldn’t stop teasing her now. “The janitor’s closet is really spacious, wanna check it out?”

Joohyun’s face quickly flushed red to his taunting words. She grabbed her pencil case and threw it at his face. Junmyeon, satisfied with her reaction, burst into a belly laugh

The two resumed their studying but every now and then, Junmyeon would pull her leg with sleazy pick-up lines and casual kissy faces. When Joohyun just couldn’t take it anymore, she pulled him to the janitor’s closet and gave him a minute which left him dazed later. Well, that would definitely shut him up for the next hours.