free day | wenyeol

glimpses

Crying. Screaming. Ringing.

 

This is just how the day starts for the two weary couple who were unfairly snapped out of what felt like a two minute sleep.

For a minute the two just stared at the ceiling, ignoring the intensifying noises rattling their home.

“It’s your turn.” Wendy called out her husband.

Chanyeol grunted. “I woke up at two in the morning to get Haerin a change when you chose to ignore your turn.”

 “You skipped two turns last week so it’s still your turn.” She countered.

Although suspicious that she was just making excuses because she knows he could never really keep track of anything, he still caved in.

Sighing, he turned to her. “Ready?”

Wendy chuckled. “Do we have a choice?”

Pushing the sheets off, the two started their morning routine. Wendy kills the alarm, Chanyeol attends to the crying baby, Wendy then runs to the twin’s room to talk them out of fighting over some toy again, Chanyeol turns on the TV to the kids’ favorite show and lure them to the living room, and then Wendy makes breakfast in the kitchen.

Even as their tasks change alternately every day, the two still move in sync. Their actions perfectly matching each other’s timing in a way that they don't get in the way of another. Yet, it had been already five years of practice but it doesn’t seem to get any easier.

“What is it today?” Chanyeol entered the kitchen with a dazed baby in his arms. Even without explaining, Wendy knew what he was asking about.

“Seungwoo rode Seungjae’s pony and Seungjae got mad so he pushed him off. And so they started pushing each other.” Wendy sighed.

“Why can’t those two little devils ever share anything? Are you sure their twins?” Chanyeol asked.

Pausing from beating the egg, Wendy looked at his two boys whose eyes were basically glued to the TV. They look so similar even Wendy gets confused sometimes. “Hmm I can’t remember. Which one do you think is the original?”

Chanyeol laughed, an act that amused the little girl on his arms and made her giggle. This in turn, melted the mother’s heart.

“Aww, you like making fun of your brothers, don’t you? Don’t you, my little angel?” Wendy cooed on her as she showered her little face with big kisses.

“Mommy, are you cooking ramyeon?” Seungjae interrupted, tip-toeing himself to reach the counter.

Wendy frowned. “No. We shouldn’t have ramyeon for breakfast, Jae.”

The little boy pouted and grumblingly walked away. “But Dad says it’s okay…”

Alarmed by his murmur, Wendy turned to Chanyeol. “What was that?!”

Caught red-handed, Chanyeol slowly backed out. “Y-you know what? I’m gonna call your parents. Ask them when they’ll be here to pick up the kids, and whether we should save them breakfast or not.”

“Chanyeol!” Wendy whined as he watched him ran off.

 

*

 

“Are you sure you can handle these three? One’s already troublesome, two’s a handful, but three’s a chaos.” Wendy worried as she passed her baby to her father.

“Honey, don’t be such a worrier. We managed to raise you and your sister. This is nothing!” Her mother answered.

Wendy raised a brow. “You told us we were behaved kids.”

“Oh we just tell you anything to shut you up. You were kids!” The elderly couple laughed.

While his wife spent a moment aghast, Chanyeol crouched to tighten the boys’ shoelaces. “Be good to grandma and grandpa, okay? Don’t go too far from them.”

Seungwoo and Seungjae nodded before excitedly running to their grandparents to tell them what they wanted to do in the amusement park where the couple’s taking them.

“I wanna ride the merry-go-round!”

“That’s too slow! Let’s ride the roller coaster instead, grandpa!”

“No! Disco Pang Pang!”

“The Fantasy train!”

Patting the heads of the two overhyped puppies tugging his pants, Grandpa Son awkwardly told the boys, “We’ll see when we get there, eh?” Unfortunately, the boys didn’t stop screaming names of the rides they want.

“You can put a leash them if you want.” Wendy joked.

Folding his hands, Chanyeol reminded, “Everything you might need is already in the bag. If Seungwoo’s allergy comes up again, he has a syrup, although he might get drowsy. Please don’t feed them too many sweets or they’ll be uncontrollable. I'm telling this for your own sake.”

Grandma rubbed her son-in-law’s back in reassurance. “Thank you, Chanyeol. We’ve got this, we promise. You two deserve a break.” She said, then winked.

The younger couple blushed at what she was suggesting.

“Mom!” Wendy whispered-screamed.

Mrs. Son winked again before pushing her husband and the kids out of the door.

“Have fun!” Wendy bid.

 

 

Closing the door, she turned to a mischievously smiling Chanyeol.

“Should we have fun too?” Chanyeol suggested.

Wendy grabbed his shirt and pulled him down to her lips. “What do you have in mind?”

“Something we haven’t done in a while.” He breathed against her face. “And now we can be as loud as we’d like to be.”

Wendy tittered. “We’re horrible parents.”

“We’re trying.” Chanyeol shrugged.

Laughingly shaking her head, she circled her arms around his neck and pulled him into another deep kiss. Bending a bit without breaking the kiss, he grabbed the back of her thighs and pushed her up against him. With her legs wrapped around his waist, he carried her blindingly to their room and they did what they had to do.

 

And then they fell asleep for twelve hours straight later.