Goodbye

The prey in the ZOO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Kibum entered his room and fell down on his bed. His heart was pounding in his chest and his face was flushed but he couldn’t move at all. The male felt paralyzed, trying to process what has happened just a while ago. Now, that he was back in his bed, he felt like he has never left it and it was all just a dream. But the tingling sensation on his lips proved him otherwise. He could still feel the kiss and when he remembered it, his heart skipped a beat. He has really allowed the wolf (in a human body) to kiss him. And if things Jonghyun said were true, then they were mates.

 

“Mate, huh?” he mumbled, biting his lip.

 

He still couldn’t believe it. The things that were said. And the fact that there were people who could turn into animals if they wanted. Kibum has always loved animals and felt comfortable when he should spend time with them but now, he felt afraid to go to the animals. What if there are more? What if one of the cheetahs or one of the bears are just like that? His mind felt like it would explode soon. He groaned and rubbed his face with his hands.

It was too much. Just the thought of being Jonghyun’s mate was already too much so the other thing they talked about was just a bit over the top.

The veterinarian looked up at the ceiling again as he remembered his conversation with the wolf.

 

 

 

 

 

*** FLASHBACK ***

 

 

 

“What? I should go.. where?” Kibum asked after he finally gained back his voice.

 

Hearing Jonghyun’s words just made him speechless. What did that even mean?!

 

“As my mate.. You should come with me. I can’t stay here because I have a pack I need to lead. Lives I’m responsible for.” Jonghyun said and it was obvious that despite liking the idea of Kibum leaving with him, he didn’t like putting the boy into this position.

 

His green eyes were honest and bright, but he seemed worried about Key’s reaction. And he had a reason to be worried. The boy didn’t look like he wanted to follow him just like that.

 

“You must be kidding me. So you’re saying I should just pack my stuff and go to your forest?” It sounded sassy and rude, Key could hear it himself, but he was too shocked to care.

 

However, the way Jonghyun’s eyes changed color to something darker, he knew that he has hurt him with his words.

 

“I understand you’re shocked and it might sound terrible for you but.. our life there isn’t limited like you think it is. We have houses and everything else, we just don’t live close to humans.” He explained and then sighed, standing up slowly just to pace slightly through the cage.

 

He seemed almost anxious and it was probably the first time Kibum saw him like that. The wolf has always carried himself the way it would seem like nothing and no one could touch him. Even when he was tied down and injured, he only showed how confident and strong he was.

Of course, Key has seen his cute and obedient side as well, but this was new kind of vulnerable and the wolf was showing it to him because he trusted him. And Key was nothing but rude to him. He knew that there must have been truth in all the things he said since he could feel the bond Jonghyun was talking about. But despite feeling it, he wasn’t really ready to accept it all.

What did the wolf say? That he was taking it well? Well, seemed like he wasn’t.

 

“I’m not.. saying that you live like animals-“ he started but Jonghyun interrupted him.

 

“We are animals.”

 

“Yes, I know. But not just mere animals. So, what I wanted to say was, that I can’t just throw away my life here. What if I went with you? We would come there and what would happen? I would live my human life among you, shapeshifters? What would happen, Jonghyun? Would I hide there? Or meet your people? It’s not that easy.” Kibum said with sigh but he did notice the small light in Jonghyun’s eyes when he said his name again.

 

It was obvious that the male liked hearing his name and honestly, Kibum loved saying it. Now that he knew his name and could talk to him, it was a relief like no other. Key wasn’t stupid. He could feel the craving and the strong pull toward the man in front of him. He has dreamt about him, for God’s sake! This was the wolf who didn’t let him sleep at night or eat in peace when he didn’t see him. But Key was also just a human with fragile feelings.

 

Jonghyun ruffled his own hair and looked around in frustration. He hasn’t expected the things to become this way. He wasn’t ready to give Kibum all the explanations he would deserve.

 

“You’re right. It’s not that easy and I know I’m putting you into difficult situation. But..” he started and turned his green eyes at Kibum.

 

The boy could see how nervous he was but in a matter of seconds, all the tension left his body.

 

“I’m gonna answer your questions honestly, Key. But it might be too much for you. So please, promise me to hear me out till the end.”

 

Kibum’s whole body shuddered when that deep and soothing voice called his name. He still wasn’t used to hearing it so clearly. So that was the reason why he relaxed? Because he decided to be honest? His last words made him frown slightly because if he was asking him to stay and hear him out till the end, it must have been really bad, right?

The boy nodded though, because he was curious, and listened to him attentively.

 

“You wouldn’t be living your human life among us. If you.. decided to follow me home as my mate, I would never hide you either. I would take you to meet my mom who would instantly love you. I mean, who wouldn’t? And then, when you would spend some time getting to know the place, people and things around, I would.. make you mine. Heart, body, soul.” He spoke and his last sentence was spoken with intense stare into Kibum’s surprised eyes.

 

His mind skipped a beat and started pounding dangerously in his ribcage. Heart, body, soul? What does that even-, he thought to himself but the moment he thought of it, he got an idea what that could mean, and his cheeks flushed right a way. Could it mean that Jonghyun wanted to take him? Make love to him? At this thought, even his ears became bright red, burning just like his cheeks. He has dreamt about kisses and fleeting touches here and there but back then, he had no idea how the wolf looked. He simply imagined his eyes, lips and his scent. Now, seeing how attractive the male looked, it was almost impossible not to squirm in his seat.

 

But of course, Jonghyun felt the change in him and his beautiful eyes started glowing. Kibum knew what it meant, and he could see how the male was holding back. What was the worst was, that the boy would want it. Would want him to come closer and take him to his arms or kiss him again. He was just a man, too, he craved things, okay?

 

“Naughty boy.” Jonghyun said and gave Kibum a smirk that would have sent him down to the ground if he wasn’t sitting safely.

 

Key looked up at the wolf and the man’s smirk disappeared, his eyes glowing even more. Why? The boy had no idea.

 

“Stop it, Key. I am not done talking and you’re not making it easier for me to hold back.” He said under his breath and the younger boy blinked his eyes.

 

“W-what do I do?”

 

“Just the way you look at me. As if you want me to..” Jonghyun clenched his teeth and closed his eyes for a moment before he opened them and looked at the boy again. “Let me explain further.” He said with small smile playing on his tempting lips and when Key nodded he started talking again. “What I meant by heart, body and soul? I would like to think that your heart is already mine.” She started with his eyes lighting up into that special shade of green. “With us, our mate’s body is marked with our scent and a.. bite. It can cross the line of intimacy, that’s true.” He chuckled and Key’s heart melted a bit. “When I said you wouldn’t be living your human life, I meant. For me, to claim your soul as a part of mine, you would have to become one of us.” His sentence was softer than the others but Kibum heard it clearly.

 

“One of.. you?” Confusion was written all over his face, and it was an understanding.

 

“Yes.” Jonghyun said firmly and sat down next to the boy.

 

He reached out his hand and put it on top of Kibum’s as he spoke again, keeping his eyes at the latter. “Only a real mate can undergo that kind of change. It requires trust and utmost belief and desire. But it’s possible. And then, the mates become one.” He said softly but Key couldn’t get in the information.

 

He didn’t even realize that Jonghyun was holding his hand because it was just too much. What kind of crap was that? How would he, a human, be able to change into a shapeshifter? That’s impossible! He’s a human with DNA and with heart and mind and everything. No one can simply decide to become an.. animal and make it happen!

 

But this is your wolf. Why would he lie? He proves that things are possible, he argued with himself internally and shook his head, standing up. Jonghyun couldn’t simply attack him like this! How was he supposed to react? It wasn’t like he told him something about weather or stupid thing like that. He was telling him to leave his life and become a wolf because it was possible!

His head was a mess and he needed to get away. He needed to clear his head.

 

“You don’t have to give me answer now. I can wait.” Jonghyun said as if he knew what was going on inside of his head.

 

And he probably knew.

 

“I.. I can’t, Jonghyun. I can’t go with you. I don’t- I don’t even know you that well. I have a life here. I have a family.” Kibum stuttered a few times and it wasn’t like him at all but he couldn’t care less at the moment.

 

He felt like a jerk when he said that because his only family were animals and Jinki and his life consisted of taking care of animals. But he just couldn’t agree to go somewhere he didn’t even know, with someone whom he didn’t even know, jesus!

His heart was laughing at him because it felt like he knew Jonghyun more than anyone else in his life but he wasn’t listening. His brain knew what he was thinking about.

 

The wolf’s eyes darkened, and corners of his mouth turned slightly downwards. He was also aware that Kibum’s life wasn’t all that great anyway, so he couldn’t understand why he would reject him right a way. “Don’t say it like that, please. I will give you time but don’t reject me just yet. It.. will be hard for you, too, if I left without you. And I will have to leave at one point, Key.” He said while looking up at the boy.

 

“I have to go. I need to.. clear my head. I’m sorry.” The boy shook his head and turned around, walking toward the exit of the cage but a warm grip around his wrist stopped him.

 

“Wait-“ Jonghyun said and turned him around so they were gazing at each other. “These past days.. I wished I could wish you a good night so.. Goodnight, Key. Please, think about it all tomorrow.” He whispered and then did something the veterinarian didn’t expect.

 

He leaned in to press small kiss on Kibum’s plush lips. Their lips molded together right a way and Kibum’s heart was pounding once again. His lips were tingling and he felt the need to press closer against the strong body that was so close to his own. He wanted to wrap his around the wolf’s neck but as quickly as the kiss started, it also ended. Jonghyun pulled slowly away to breathe out on the younger boy’s lips, pecking it lightly once again before he stepped back.

 

Kibum was dazed. His cheeks were flushed and hands trembling slightly but it was obvious that the wolf was letting him go because he wished to go just a while ago. And so, his body reacted on autopilot, turning around and walking out of the cage, straight to his home.

Home, huh? He thought while walking toward the apartment.

 

 

 

 

*** END OF THE FLASHBACK ***

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He realized that he was actually scared. What if it was true? What if he really was Jonghyun’s mate and could have different life if he went with him? Would he be able to do it? To leave the ZOO and his life behind? Well, the wolf never said that he couldn’t visit the ZOO or people here if he wanted.

 

“No, Key, stop. You’re not gonna think about this. It’s crazy. You will live your life like you know.” He mumbled to himself and turned to lie on his side, closing his eyes.

 

He couldn’t fall asleep for a longer time but when he finally did, his dreams became like ones he has never had. It was obvious that it was only his fantasy because he dreamt about beautiful forest and animal shapeshifters in there. He dreamt about himself, with green eyes and happy smile on his lips when Jonghyun’s arms sneaked around his waist from behind and his nose filled with the scent he came to love. He could feel it so clearly though, as if he was really living it. A life with the wolf and his family.

 

 

When Kibum woke up in the morning, his feelings were all over the place. He still didn’t want to think about the things that were said yesterday but he couldn’t deny that he would love to have the life he dreamt about yesterday. But was it possible? Would it be like that? Easy and nice? What if the people living there, and Jonghyun’s family were against them?

 

Shaking his head, he tried to let go of those thoughts and went to work as always. It was slightly uncomfortable at first, because he was wondering if any of these animals he was checking up on were like Jonghyun and Taemin. But in the end, he decided that they weren’t because he didn’t have a feeling he got while being with the two shapeshifters. These animals were amazing, every single one of them, but they weren’t as smart or special as his favorite lynx and.. his wolf.

The boy got slightly nervous when he was nearing the lynx’ cage which was ridiculous since they have been friends for years now, but he just couldn’t help it. Unlocking the cage, he entered and closed the door. Just as he turned around, he was tackled by the carnivore and it made him laugh genuinely, all off his nervousness disappearing. This was his lynx, his best friend. There was no need to feel nervous.

 

“Well, hello. Did you miss me that much?” he chuckled, scratching the wild cat’s ears which earned him low purr.

 

Taemin looked up at him with bright, golden eyes and nodded his head once which warmed Kibum’s heart. “Ah, you’re still as adorable as before.”

 

The lynx tilted his head curiously and Kibum understood what he was asking. He averted his eyes in shame and sighed before petting the animal’s head. “I guess.. that I thought you will be different. After yesterday.” He said lowly, looking at his friend. “It was too sudden, you know? And I still can’t really comprehend that all of it happened. I’m sorry.” He said and leaned down to kiss Taemin’s head.

 

It seemed that the lynx understood because he put his paw on his thigh and shook his head once as if to tell him th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter