The Legend

The prey in the ZOO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

“Wait-“ Kibum said suddenly, widening his eyes as he looked from Jonghyun to Taemin. “Cousins???”

 

All males in the cage knew there was a lot to explain and they were afraid it couldn’t be done in one night. But they would definitely try.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kibum had no idea what to do. His mind was a mess and the scent filling his nose was not helping at all.

 

“Am I still dreaming?” he said after a moment, looking at the men around him.

 

But would a dream feel so real? As if wanting to text his freedom, he tried to take a step away from the wolf. No. Jonghyun. That was his name, right? And if he couldn’t move, then it was all a dream.

 

But the boy’s feel moved exactly at the same time as the wolf spoke.

 

“No, this is not a dream. I know you’re confused, but we will explain.” He said and his voice warmed Key’s heart.

 

Because damn, this was the voice that haunted him in his dreams!

 

“Key, come sit down. We can talk.” The lynx said with bright and yet careful eyes as he walked toward the rocks at the back of the cage.

 

Minho followed the boy but Key couldn’t get himself to move. This was crazy.

But since he could walk and he was very aware of his surroundings, he knew that it was not a dream.

 

His heart picked up the pace and his hands started to tremble slightly. What the hell?? What kind of sick joke is this?!

 

He was probably too lost in his own head to notice that Jonghyun was slowly approaching him. It was only when he felt warm hand on his shoulder that he focused again. He would have backed away from the touch if he didn’t get caught in Jonghyun’s beautiful eyes. Those deep green eyes he loved so much.

This was familiar. Looking into those orbs was familiar and Kibum’s heartbeat slowed down slightly.

The shorter male looked so damn pleased and Key could no longer deny that this was his wolf.

 

As if sensing the change within the boy, the wolf’s eyes brightened and changed to pale green. And for a moment, they were just staring at each other as always.

 

“Wow, Key. Is this the stare you were talking about before?” Taemin’s voice was heard and Key finally broke away from the trance.

 

“Tae, they were having a moment. You just ruined it.” Minho said with sigh and Key’s cheeks reddened.

 

“What stare?” Jonghyun tilted his head curiously but Kibum’s lips were sealed.

 

There was no way he would say how those eyes almost drove him crazy.

 

“Oh. Key often came to me and talked.. or complained about the way you looked at him. He really likes your eyes, you know? But for obvious reasons, he was also confused and uncomfortable.” Taemin said and Kibum’s eyes widened.

 

What the hell?? You traitor! Those were the thoughts in his mind as he glared at the boy, trying to ignore the fact that this was really true. Because no one else would know such an information.

And Key was trying to wrap his head around the fact but these people were acting so normal! As if they were just normal friends and met to hang out!

 

The wolf looked so pleased at the information and Kibum just really wanted to scream. Why? Because this was not normal! Although he felt pretty comfortable looking into the man’s eyes and felt nice when his favorite lynx’s eyes turned to him, he was still kind of freaking out. This was not normal.

 

It seemed like the two animals noticed the change in him because Taemin’s expression became worried and Jonghyun was frowning as well.

 

“I’ll.. go fetch some water for Kibum.” Minho spoke softly, standing up and leaving the cage.

 

“Are you okay?” Jonghyun’s deep voice filled Kibum’s ears and he snorted.

 

“Of course I’m not okay. You all act like it was normal for you to be here. For you to talk to me. But I’m going crazy here. What the hell is happening.” He said in that sassy voice but he also sounded confused.

 

“I’m sorry..” Taemin said lowly, his head hanging down in guilt and it pulled on Kibum’s heart.

 

This was his lynx. The friend he appreciated and loved for years. The one who always made his mood better, the one who always cuddled him. And now seeing him sad like that made the boy feel like jerk.

 

“It’s just.. I’m happy to be able to talk to you. Finally. And it’s just hard to start explaining. There is so much to explain.” Taemin spoke and his voice was lacking the brightness it had before.

 

I’m happy, too, he wanted to say but his lips didn’t move.

 

“Let’s start from the beginning. I wasn’t here before so you have to say that alone, Taemin.” The wolf spoke and Taemin nodded, looking up at the veterinarian.

 

Kibum his lips and slowly walked toward the rocks so he could sit down. Something was telling him that it will be a long night.

 

“I think you should start by telling him what you are.” Minho appeared in the cage, handing a bottle of water to the boy who accepted it and drank a bit of it. “It was easier to me to accept it after Tae explained that to me.” He said and sat down next to the said boy.

 

“We are shapeshifters.” Jonghyun started slowly. “There are not many and none of us live in a human world. We live need in the forest because people usually notice that we are different. And besides, living in our own place is more comfortable.” He said in that attractive voice and if Kibum wasn’t actually interested in that explanation, he would have been distracted by that voice because it felt amazing to hear it so clearly, unlike his dreams.

 

“Shapeshifters don’t exist. It’s a myth. A child’s story.” Key said right a way, blinking his brown eyes.

 

“You’re talking to us, though. Do we feel like a myth to you?” he said, his green eyes boring into the depth of Kibum’s soul as always when he looked at him.

 

And the boy couldn’t deny that it felt real. It was real.

 

“Thought so.” Jonghyun nodded with small smile which made Kibum’s heart skip a beat because he was not allowed to be that handsome. “As you know.. I’m a wolf. I’m actually a.. pure blood wolf which is why I’m bigger than ordinary wolf. That’s also why I heal faster and why I’m so strong.”

 

“And why you love to brag..” Minho mumbled but one small growl from Jonghyun made him look up. Taemin next to him was chuckling lowly. Minho and Jonghyun had 'special' friendship.

 

“It’s true though. Jonghyun hyung is the strongest from our family. My dad and his mom are siblings.” Taemin said, as if distracting his cousin.

 

“But.. you’re not a wolf.” Kibum pointed out, tilting his head.

 

“Yes. Shapeshifters, when they are born from a mixed marriage, take on a shape of animal that suits them the most. In my case, my mom’s gracefulness as a lynx suited me better.” He explained and Kibum couldn’t not to notice how proud and affectionate Minho looked while looking at him.

 

“How are you involved in this story, mr. night guard?” Kibum asked with squinted eyes and Minho rubbed his nape sheepishly, as if feeling guilty that he didn’t tell him sooner.

 

“I think that it will be better if I start the story and Minho will come up there.” Taemin said softly and Key’s eyes softened as he nodded his head.

 

“We live in a forest that’s far away from here but I.. As a baby, I loved running around a lot. I was hyperactive child.” He shrugged with grin and then continued. “One day, I was playing too far from our home. I didn’t know it was that far. And suddenly, there were men who caught me and took me away. I couldn’t shift because I knew stories about what happened to those who trusted humans. So I only let them to take me.” He admitted and he didn’t look very proud of himself.

 

Kibum remembered when the lynx was brought to the ZOO. He looked so small though. How come that he wasn’t as young as Kibum thought he was? Was Kibum that blind?

 

As if reading his mind, Taemin spoke right a way. “It’s okay. There is no way people would guess our age right because we don’t age as other animals. Nor humans.” He explained and then his smile brightened. “I was very scared when they brought me here but you.. when I met you, it was like meeting a sun! You’re so beautiful, hyung.” He said excitedly.

 

Kibum’s cheeks became rosy at the compliment but also over the fact that he was called hyung. By his favorite lynx. How many times has he imagined how it would feel if the boy was a human and called him hyung? And now here he was, prettier than Key has imagined, and also cuter, and he called him hyung.

 

“You should probably explain, Taemin.” Jonghyun spoke with hint of smile on his plush lips when he saw how dazed the veterinarian was.

 

“Right. Sorry.” Taemin chuckled and then continued. “It’s.. something about you. Your way of talking and taking care of animals. It’s like.. you treat animals as equals. And the animals feel it, you know? Just like I felt it back then. When you checked up on me, I felt much calmer and less scared. You called me baby.” The boy laughed softly, remembering that day.

 

“That’s why animals let you in. Why they feel comfortable with you. You understand them and they appreciate it.” Jonghyun said and Kibum was just looking from one cousin to another.

 

It was overwhelming. All the information felt like from a movie and Key didn’t appreciate it. But his mind was focused and he was eager to hear more. He wanted to finally understand everything. And since he knew that he didn’t make up the voice in his head, he felt better. Or wait, why even was there a voice in his head?

 

His eyes searched for the green eyes which were staring at him the whole time. And again, as if he could read his mind, Jonghyun nodded once. And again, understanding him even without words, Kibum knew that he will get an explanation.

 

But Kibum also felt happy and proud, knowing that he really was some kind of ‘animal whisperer’. If the animals really liked him, he was very pleased.

 

“But.. how come you never told me? You could have just.. told me. Or didn’t you trust me enough?” Kibum asked after a moment and the disappointment was evident in his eyes. “I see that you told Minho. Why not me?”

 

Taemin’s eyes were guilty when he looked at his bestfriend (because yes, Key was his bestfriend). If he had a pair of ears on his head, they would be flattened down by then. “Of course I do trust you. More than anyone. But.. Jonghyun hyung had to be the one to tell you.”

 

“What? But he wasn’t here.” Key said, very confused in that moment.

 

“But I knew he was coming.”

 

“How?”

 

“He knew I would come find him. Sooner or later.” Jonghyun said as he walked slowly but gracefully toward Kibum, sitting down next to him.

 

The boy’s heartbeat was very fast when he felt his presence next to him. Kibum has never been the shy type but the wolf, Jonghyun, had that weird effect on him.

 

“But.. why did it have to be you?” Key asked after a moment, his eyes searching Jonghyun’s and when their gazes met, he almost melted.

 

The male’s eyes glowed in new shade of green and Kibum was mesmerized. But also afraid to ask if it was real or if he was just seeing things.

 

“He will get to that part of story. I just.. want to finish my part.” Taemin spoke with small smile on his lips and when Key’s attention was back on him, he started talking again.

“I really got to like you a lot. I loved the way you called me your friend and always spent time with me. I always felt guilty and sad that I can’t reveal myself to you, actually. Especially when you opened up and said that you were sad about not being able to call me by any name. And you even said that you will read names for me. It was so.. thoughtful. But I already had a name and I felt guilty I couldn’t give it to you.”

 

And Kibum saw it. He saw the guilt in his eyes back then, but he thought that the lynx only didn’t like the fact that the human wanted to name him. And the other times he thought that the carnivore was hurt. He never even stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, he already had his own name.

 

“I’m sorry..” he mumbled and Taemin looked at him, obviously surprised.

 

“What? No! I am the one who’s supposed to feel sorry. If I could, I would have let you know, really.” Taemin shook his head and hands in front of him.

 

“Go on with the story, baby. I deserve a spotlight.” Minho said jokingly and Kibum’s suspicion was only confirmed with those words.

 

Taemin blushed lightly and nudged his arm but then cleared his throat and spoke. “Jinki hyung found me first.”

 

The poor lynx didn’t get further in his speech though, because Kibum widened his eyes and gasped. “What even does Jinki have to do with this? He’s not.. I mean.. he’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter