The Breaking Point

The prey in the ZOO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Kibum was not a coward. He has never run away from any problems and always ttried to find a solution. But he couldn't this time.

 

When he woke up the day after the wolf surprised him he realized that he couldn't face the animal. Even more after that weird dream he had. He was sure that the eyes he dreamt of belonged to the wolf and it was very weird already in that way – people don't dream about animals like that. But what was even weirder was that he had no idea whose lips and arms he was dreaming about. Those arms were stronger than any arms he has ever felt around him. And that scent...

 

Kibum shivered even now when he was thinging about it. He was sure he was going crazy. And when it was the time to check up and feed the certain animal, he started to tremble.

 

What the hell! He thought, frustrated. But n matter how much he scolded himself, he couldn't get himself to go there. It was the first time ever that he felt like a prey and he was scared. Although not from the reason he should.

Maybe that's what he was scared of the most – his own feelings.

 

“W-what? You're not gonna check up on it? Or feed it? But it freaks out whenever we go there! We can't go to it!” Jay shook his head when Kibum told him he won't be tending to the wolf.

 

“So what? Just throw him some meat! I can't... I can't go there.” he said, sounding much calmer at the end of the sentence.

 

“Well, we can't either!”

 

“Then let him starve, for 's sake! And you call yourself a ZOO worker? Jesus! You are so annoying. I always do the dangerous work and now I can't go for once and you can't even feed the damned animal??” Kibum shouted and stomped away to Jinki's office.

 

He knew he would be called in sooner or later. And he was right. Right as he was standing in front of Jinki's office, his phone rang.

 

Rolling his eyes, he knocked twice and entered the office.

 

“Oh, Key. I was just calling you.” Jinki said, surprised when he spotted a person he wanted to see.

 

“I know. I'm saving you a time. I know what you want from me, hyung.” Kibum started and sat down on the chair in front of his boss' desk. “I.. I can't today, hyung. I can't go to that wolf. I need a break.” he said almost desperately and saw how surprised Jinki looked which was actually amusing.

 

Wasn't he allowed to take a break from animals?

 

“I- Of course. But.. why? Why now?” Jinki sat down as well and leaned against his seat.

 

Kibum hated when he got into this position because it felt like a doctor was talking to his patient. And maybe the boy needed this? To talk to someone? But how could he possibly tell someone that the wolf is making him feel weird? Wouldn't they really label him as a mental case?

 

“I just.. don't feel safe with him yet.” Kibum murmured and it was only a half lie.

 

“Oh? But I heard that you are the only one who actually got close to that animal.” Jinki said and Kibum hated how he was giving him a knowing look.

 

As if he knew what was going on between him and that wolf.

 

Wait, what? Are you crazy? WHAT is going on between the two of you? There IS something? He was angry with himself for always slipping. Even in his mind

 

“I know, okay?” Kibum was getting frustrated and that's why he stood up and started spacing through the room. “I thought we were okay. He didn't attack me or anything but.. Hyung, I always feel like a prey when I'm with him. It's not healthy for me either.” he said in the end, sighing.

 

Jinki was quiet for some time and when Kibum thought that the man will laugh at him he hummed. HUMMED.

 

“Hum??!!” Kibum almost snapped but no one can blame him, really.

 

He was really sensitive and doubtful about himself these past two days.

 

And Jinki, that bastard, had the nerve to chuckle!

 

“Yes, Key. Hmm. I just wanted to say that I understand how you feel.”

 

You have no idea how I feel, he thought and he obviously accidentaly said it aloud, too because Jinki smiled gently.

 

“I know. Believe me. Anyway, you are free from your duty with the wolf if you wish so.” he nodded and Kibum widened his eyes.

 

“Really? Oh god, you're the best, seriously!” he smiled widely, his mood shifting quickly but as he was about to leave he stopped in front of the door and turned back to his boss slowly. “Wait.. But.. who will tend to him? The boys said they can't do it.”

 

Jinki let out small smile. “So you care about him?” he said and Kibum didn't even have a chance to blush because he continued. “We'll see. I.. somehow doubt that anyone will be able to get close to him but we will try. If not.. Well, I heard that wolves can starve for a long time.” he said and his last words sounded almost teasing because Key knew the man would never let an animal starve.

 

But his heart clnched anyway. Will the wolf suffer just because Kibum is weak?

No, Kibum. Don't do this to yourself. They won't let him starve! He thought to himself and hummed while opening the door.

 

“Okay. Good luck. I- I'm sorry.” he sighed and left before Jinki could say something to him.

 

It wasn't easy decision at all. It was against all his beliefs to run away from the animal but his sanity meant more for him this time.

 

 

After the talk with Jinki he continued in his work. He checked on every other animal and once he was done he went to his favorite lynx.

 

But somehow, seeing the 'cat' made him feel guilty. Because here he was, enjoying his time with one wild animal while the other was probably angry for people trying to feed him and it will result in him starving until Kibum will man up and go to him again.

 

“Hey, my dearest.” Kibum grinned and sat down on the ground just to have the lynx in his lap the next second.

 

He couldn't help but chuckle at the clingy animal. “Missed you, too, buddy. I wish you could actually live with me. It's unfair that I can really spend time with you only early in the morning or in the late evening.” he said as he started petting the animal.

 

“But I guess you would be only disappointed in me, anyway.” the boy sighed, troubled and the carnivore immedaitely looked at him.

 

It was fascinating how the animal understood everything he said and even reaction appropriately. “Why? Because.. I'm kinda weak. Would you believe it? I have been working here half of my life and nothing – no animal – has intimidated me the way this wolf does. I.. I can't face him. I can't get myself to go there because he is always watching me so intensely but I don't feel like I'm in danger. It's just very very weird. And he does things.. that make me feel nervous. I have no idea why! I'm just so frustrated. I should call Lana and bring her on another date. I need a distraction.” he groaned and glared at the lynx when it made a sound akin snort. “I don't care. I know you don't like it but I need it. I'm going crazy.” he 'argued' with the animal who rolled his eyes. “Yes. Yes, that's what I need. To get laid. To get myself a girlfriend and a life.” he nodded to himself, ignoring another snort from the lynx.

 

But even though he ignored the snort he couldn't ignore the fact that his heart clenched when he thought of calling the girl and getting together with her. And he just couldn't understand it. So now what, he won't even be attracted to people??

 

Groaning again, he hugged his friend before he had to leave because it was soon the opening hours.

 

The day was very slow for the boy. It was too hot and so many people came that he had barely time to eat by himself. His co-workers were giving him weird looks but he knew none of them would dare to confront him because he was there for the longest time. He thought that it was funny how a place he called home could turn into this. He was uncomfortable the whole day but it was probably because he had no idea if the wolf has eaten or not.

 

And yet, he didn't have a courage to go and check. So he just kept worrying about him.

 

That night wasn't better at all.

 

It was actually even worse.

 

He was awaken by a loud howl. It was a piercing sound that has Kibum shot out from his bed. His heart was beating fast and for a moment, he didn't didn't know what to do. He just knew that it was the black wolf. Other wolves in the ZOO were calm and whenever they howled at the moon, it had to be fullmoon.

 

But today was not that day and this howl was different from the others. The boy knew it belonged to the strange wolf. And no matter how much he wanted to avoid him, he had to go and make sure that the animal was okay.

 

So he put on his jacket, took his keys and went out of the apartment.

 

This time was the atmosphere different. Unlike the first night when everything was deadly quiet, tonight it felt.. alive. It's not like he heard different animals but the energy was.. buzzing. Like the ZOO – the place itself – was upset or nervous.

 

“Jesus, this is messed up.” Kibum murmured to himself while walking toward the cage where his favorite animal was staying.

 

But he didn't see him around. Not even after he called out to him which was weird. “Where is this guy again? Is he asleep?” he whispered and then jumped up a little bit when another howl pierced through the air. “..” he cursed and started walking through the path which led toward the wolf's cage.

 

However, he didn't get too far because a person standing in front of him startled him. There shouldn't be anyone at this time. Was this some thief? And that's why the wolf was howling?

Kibum clenched his fists at the thought. He was not great fighter but he WILL protect his home.

 

“Who the hell are you?” he said sternly.

 

Unfortunately, the man stood in the shadow and Kibum couldn't see him properly but he saw him freeze momentarily before he turned to face Kibum.

 

“Um, calm down-” the man started but Kibum just snorted.

 

“I AM calm. Now tell me who the hell you are or I'll fight you.” Kibum said bravely although he wasn't so sure about his fighting skills.

 

The man chuckled lowly and it was quite soft and nice sound but Kibum didn't want to be fooled so he stood his ground. After what felt like an hour the person stepped closer to Kibum and he finally saw his small face.

 

And man, he was actually handsome. Tall, slim but well build and his eyes were actually quite big.

 

“I am a night guard. My name's Choi Minho. You must be Key. Jinki hyung talked about you but we never really met here.” the man said, extending his hand for a handshake.

 

But Kibum didn't react at first. “Are you kidding me? We don't have a night guard. I am here.” he said with frown on his face.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter