City ₪ Three

CITY 127 ₪ nct ff

"I like you, Angel."

Four words, but gazillion of emotions were starting to trickle down on every gland I have inside my body. There was a gap in my hot breaths, but I could feel my palm surfacing cold sweats and I swear I am being into percussion. I had been so mentally crazy, he had seen nothing, thought of nothing. I wish.

I compose myself calm infront of Jeno, my mouth once wanted to gape open was easily controlled because I did not want to look like I was crazily want to share the same feelings that I had for him, but either way I want to be sure what he really meant by that. The two of us retained each other's eye contact, seeing who would look away first. With one more look, I broke away from our stare and I realized I choked a sudden laugh.

Jeno looked surprised with my reaction, I swear the laugh did not meant to insult him or something alike. I cover my mouth instantly, not wanting to wake the boys behind us. "You can't be serious, Jeno. But hey, that was a good joke though."

Like a statue right infront of my eyes, his dusk colored eye warmly stares at me. His lips did not move nor shudder a little to response back a smile, hence, he makes a soundless remark that shut me into silence. "It may sound like a joke to you, but I am serious. Really. I like you, Angel."

He repeats, the usual eye-smiling Jeno was nowhere to be found. He was serious as hell, like no matter what I say nor react won't affect his facial reaction that he is giving me. Until I heard a sudden move from our side, Jisung was mumbling words such as 'candies' through out his sleep and I was afraid we might wake him up.

Slowly but surely, I drag myself out of the bed as I walk towards the small living room area. I sat on the maroon colored couch, Jeno follows as he sits down beside me. "I'm surprised how important they were to you and Jisung really has grown attached to your presence." He starts.

Like nothing has happened minutes ago, Jeno changed the topic and did not even mentioned about what he have just said earlier. I smile, the both of us were staring at the blank television screen. "Yeah, even though Jisung is just a year younger than you, he's like a baby that needs to be guided. I may not be a replacement as someone who can call his own relative, but atleast he would know what family looks like with me, with us.."

There was a long pause in the air, but Jeno's huff sounds a bit different just now. "Experiments.." I tilt my head to the side, wondering what his serious tone was about. "What is it?"

He looks hesitant for a moment but continued to speak. "T-The orphans, they are in-line for the assessment. It isn't just an assessment with two options; to live or to die. But the assessment for them is to eradicate them because the Westercourts could not agree more on keeping homeless children around City 127." He paused. "Despite being homeless, the Westercourts even think that it is a waste to feed someone who won't be useful for them."

Jeno could not look at me in the eyes, instead, he shows a remorseful look as he covers his face with his palms after he said those words. I remained shut, letting tears streaming down my face. I knew this was going to happen, but I wasn't a hundred percent sure about what was going on.

I wanted to hate the world where I am living in, but where I am right now is where the people I love the most. Mrs. Lee, the orphans, my Jisung and.. Jeno. They are the only reason why I chose to stay and live as what was destined for me to do. But what could I do if the world is going against us? I could not afford to lose any of them.

"W-We can't just let them die, Jeno." I exclaimed silently, not wanting the orphans to hear our conversation.

Jeno pulls his hand off from his face, he wipes the tear from the corner of his eyes before he starts to look at me with a down expression. "That is why we are here. Because I know what is going to happen."

"What do you mean?" I raise a brow, he takes a notice of the tears on the corners of my eyes and even on my cheeks. He leans forward, slowly wiping them with his thumb.

"I canceled the assessment." He talks softly, giving an access to calm myself. "I talked with Mr. Han, if he could still think about it. I told him that the orphans were closest to my heart and none of them should be taken away. He agreed but he will still think about it."

My brows curved, pulling myself away from his touch. "Cancel?! There is still a chance that they will use the orphans as experimental pets! For godsake Jeno, I can't let that happen!" I abruptly stood up in anger, my hands were shaking as I couldn't think well. I let out a deep breath, "I am taking them away."

Jeno was indeed shocked with my words, he stood up as well. Eyes glaring at me madly, "You seriously can't do that, Angel! And where would you plan to escape? You know we have nowhere else to go. City 127 is armed by the Westercourts. We can't just simply go against them!"

I plaster even more a pained and mad expression, "How could you stand for the death and letting the innocent lives be in stake? I would rather go against them than those boys die in their arms." I breathed, "You knew how much important they were to me and still got the nerve to say that to me."

His brows curved, "But it will be dangerous." "I'd rather risk my life for them than to be a coward like you."

I look down at my hand that he just held just now, he clenched it lightly as if to conceal the feelings within me. But I was too mad that I slapped his hand off from me, I closed my eyes as I breathed. "I'm sorry, Jeno.. but you disappoint me this time."

With that, I turn to face my back on him as I decided to head out of the room where nothing but disappointment filled me up.

...

2:30 AM. I stop by the ground floor of the main institutional building, taking a paper cup just beside the water dispenser. I press the button as the water flows down on the cup and after I glug it in my throat. Soon, I went back on to the lobby area as I took a sit and wanted to take this moment to think of any escape plan.

But more than the escape plan, I suddenly realized that I was too harsh with the way I reacted on Jeno. I did not mean to start a fight with him, nor liked the thought that we had our very first fight because I think I was right in the first. No. It actually pains me to see us in this kind of situation that not even the two of us would want to. I feel sorry but the Orphans are important to me too.

I sigh, watching the environment in a fast pace despite I'm being stuck with my thoughts in my head. My eyes were groggy, feels like I'm drugged with no sense of direction with my own thoughts just now. "Angel. Angel.. Hey." Someone calls me, snapping me back to my senses.

There, it was Jeno already standing a meter away from where I am. He had a frail smile on his lips, "Come with me." I blink my eyes thrice, I do not know what's gotten into me as I stood up and followed him, like we did not fight just a minute ago.

He held my hand, it suddenly sends shivers down to my spine. Jeno rarely held my hand but this time he did, he would just usually hang his arm around my shoulders whenever we walk together. I blink thrice, suddenly remembering how he wears me the warm cotton gloves last night.

I was surely busy with my thoughts and was not able to focus on the direction he was leading the two of us. Until we found ourselves infront of the staff room, "W-Wait, what are we doing here?" I ask, but Jeno did not make any response instead, he opens the door revealing a white room filled with cabinets. I have been in this room already, this is where we take our uniforms whenever we have a duty every morning to distribute the supplements to every citizens of City 127 especially the Ashborne.

Jeno releases from gripping my hand then he saunters his way to the cabinet on the far end where he took four volunteer suits, some rough boots and white masks in the drawer. I insisted to help him out by carrying some of it. "Jeno.." "I'm helping you taking them away." He spoke, closing the drawer infront of us. "Just trust me, okay?"

I only gave him a stare but eventually it made my lips curved into a smile all of sudden. Jeno glances at me, finally eye-smilling at me which made my heart do some somersaults. "Let's go now." He instructed, as we start to head out of the room.

As much as I wanted to talk about it, I remained silent and did not want some to get suspicious on us. Jeno and I quietly walks back to the interns unit building. As soon as we came inside the room, the Orphans are still in their deep slumber, it felt like a thorn was pulled out from my chest the moment I still get to see them.

Jeno places the uniforms on the free table near the window as I followed him, emptying my arms. "I'm sorry for what happened earlier, Jeno. I did not mean to-" "No, I should be the one to apologize, Gel." He cuts me off, placing his point finger on top of my lips.

I realize that I was staring into his pupils right now, the moonlight struck from the window shades beautifully on his face and I swear I did not get to stand this close to Jeno nor we share the stare in such quiet moment. I know my heart's been skipping a beat and I couldn't dare to stand to this staring game again.

I break off, forgetting to respond back to him. I saunter my way towards the couch again, I took a sit and leaned my head behind for a bit. Now I was staring at the ceiling, the dark void-less ceiling.. much better than staring at Jeno. Not that I meant Jeno's an eyesore, it's just that my heart reacts to what it sees even though my eyes were the one who catches the sight.

My mind won't stop thinking about Jeno when I should be thinking about the Orphans, it has been like that for what must be ten minutes had passed. I don't remember when sleep over took me, I am not sure if I'm asleep or I'm awake.

But all I'm sure is that my head slowly laid on someone's shoulder, I could sniff his scent. The scent of lavender that I have always loved to. His fingers slightly brushes on my head, in each , it made me easier to sleep in peace and his warm human touch made every worries I had fade away. Whether this is a dream or reality they call, I could only wish for nothing but Jeno.

I like you too, Jeno.

...

...

I twitch the slightest, making my eyes open up from something so bright. I move my head to look at the television which is now opened, striking some light on my face. But then I realized that my body is fully lying on the couch, I startled and the only thing that was running on my mind was Jeno and the Orphans. "J-Jeno.." I mumble, prompting myself to stand up instantly but in heaven's sake, I see them on each bed sides.

Chenle and Jaemin took notice of my waking presence, "Sister Angel is awake~!" chirps Chenle, while Jaemin combs his hair. The Orphans are now wearing the volunteer suits we took from the staff room earlier. From the other bedside, Jeno is injecting Renjun some supplements into his forearm. The boy irked in pain but knowing Renjun, he might be the silent kid among them four but he's the bravest one.

But then I come to realize that Jisung was seated on the edge of the bed, avoiding to look how Jeno inserts the metallic thing. I rush towards Jisung, kneeling down to meet his gaze. "Do not be afraid, okay? I'm here." I said, Jisung had a frail smile on his lips as he nods.

Jeno came to my side, "He doesn't want to get his shot by me, he was waiting for you." He hands me one syringe of supplement, "It's okay. Thanks." I accepted it as Jisung pulls the sleeve up voluntarily which made me smile because of it. I pull the cap that covers the needle, soon inserting it into his forearm. I could sense that Jisung is trying to hold his fear from needles but this is the only thing that could save his humanity. "We're done. Such a good boy, Jisung." I comfort up, smiling at him.

I realize that everyone was looking at us, they all plastered a proud expression to calm Jisung. "You know what Sister Angel, Jisung is really excited to work today.. even us too!" Chenle spoke who took a sit beside Jisung.

"Is it true, Jisung?" I ask, he grins at me. "I've always been curious to what Sister Angel does when you're not in the orphanage. So Brother Jeno told us that you work here as a volunteer."

"And Sister Angel gives supplements to all of us, so I guess Jisung is now trying to be brave. He even told me that he won't bother you anymore by injecting him the supplements." Jaemin adds, which made Jisung bolts an eye and even his cheeks started to fluster.

"Yah..! I did not say that." He groans, standing up as he tries to catch Jaemin and play punch on the bed. All of us starts to laugh on their innocence, it felt like they were my own little brothers to me.

"Anyway, it's ten minutes before five in the morning. We have to settle now in the ground area to prepare." Jeno spoke, making everyone settle down. "Also, since this will be their first day, I assigned Renjun to take incharge with the boys. So Angel, you can count on Renjun." He paused, "I won't be at the ground area since I have to be present at the lab this morning. So I suggest to behave yourselves, okay?"

"Okay..!" Everyone of us including me agreed to what Jeno instructed, I immediately head over the restroom to change my outfit like theirs and then we head off the room and worn our masks in uniform. This way, we wouldn't be suspicious especially that Jeno also attached them some fake IDs.

As we arrived down the ground area, there were several tents lined up and boxes of supplement kits were ready to be distributed to the people of City 127. Jisung, Chenle, Jaemin, Renjun and I were assigned on the third tent. It's already pass five in the morning as people started to come over and get their supplies.

I watch the four boys handing the kits one by one, I feel like a proud sister as I watch them doing something so productive unlike in the orphanage they would just like play, read, stare at walls the whole day. This is the first time I get to see them livelier than ever. Suddenly my cellular phone beeps a message, I look down to find Jeno's message.

"I'll wait for you and the orphans at the back door of the Intern Unit Building at six."

I simply replied okay then I started to work with the orphans at once.

...

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f42764f5f4e58426f3053544c52513d3d2d3737393635323530302e313563306431306531643363646565633332383933353237353730382e706e67