City ₪ One

CITY 127 ₪ nct ff

I twinge in the slightest pain the moment I pierce the syringe needle directly into my forearm, ejecting the white liquid in a stream as it outpoured through every part of my veins

I twinge in the slightest pain the moment I pierce the syringe needle directly into my forearm, ejecting the white liquid in a stream as it outpoured through every part of my veins. Apparently, it fluctuates in every systems into my body with the amount of nutrients that I will be needing.

As soon as the rubber tube empties, I gradually pull the thing away and then sticking a cotton pad into the part. Now, I'm full and feeling much alive than an hour ago.

I remain seated on to my bed side, letting the whole supplement does its work all over my body. If you are wondering, we never eat nor we know what food variants look and taste like.

As they say, people who lives before the post-apocalyptic world has been spoiled with innumerable ways to live. Like food, water, air, sleep, education, safety, etc..

In which us, the ones who lived 200 years later, had to make an alternative way to live without those. Since that year happened, majority of the Earth's population wiped out in just a blink. Diseases escalate all over the world, even animals were infected, the water source are toxic and plants easily rot since sun never comes up.

Stabbing myself with supplements using a syringe once a day will fill up all my hunger and sometimes, thirst. It's been like that ever since I was born, the Westercourts, who ruled over the century supplies medical and life support to us citizens in the whole City 127.

"Can I say, you just ate my food?" knocks Jeno by the door, I flinch a little on his arrival.

"Huh?" I bewilder, realizing that I just used his stock of remaining supplement the moment I saw the kit with his name written on it. "I didn't know, I'm sorry with that, Jeno."

"It's alright, Gel." He smiled at me.

Gel.. Jeno is the only one who calls me by that name. I met him when I was six and he was four.

We've been living in Ashborne, the main town in City 127 where our parents works at the Westercourt Institution as Epidemiologists. But when both of my parents died during an accident ten years ago, including Jeno's father, I was forced to live with the Lee's since I did not have any relatives I can go and live with.

Looking back, I lived with Jeno for more than ten years now. I treat him as my own blood brother, despite there are alot of circumstances that came in between us but I have never seen him frowning or getting mad for something. He's as calm as a lamb and he's too fragile, contrast to what he looks like.

"It's okay, Gel." He starts, then looking back on his wrist watch. "By the way, I have to go now. Mr. Han needs assistance for tonight's assessment." He paused. "And I'll just drop by the lab to get some stocks. Okay?"

My brows curved, looking up on the wall clock which strikes at nine thirty in the evening. "And why does Mr. Han rarely calls me for duty?" He chuckles, "Welp, I don't know..?"

Jeno and I works as a resident intern in the Westercourt Institution, ever since our parents died a few years back, we promised that we wanted to be like our parents someday. Both Jeno and I wanted to find cure for all of the things that is happening to the world. 

But since we're still under aged, we have to work at the Westercourt Institution by monitoring and evaluating the citizens' physical and emotional needs and sometimes, due to lack of personnel, we sometimes help to formulate the supplements to be distributed every morning at six.

And then during the afternoon, I casually go to the Westercourt Orphanage to visit the children, play with them and feed them with the supplements. 

I stood up aggressively, taking a stand infront of Jeno who's a feet taller than me. He bent a little, meeting my gaze, eye-smiling. "Just go to bed." I'm surprised how he grew taller than me when in fact I'm two years older than him, but I got to hate the fact that he keeps on insulting my height.

"You look so strange." I sigh, he continues to smile looking very pleased with himself. "Do I?"

The surroundings were quiet as I stare on his brown eyes.

I do admit that Jeno is getting more attractive lately. It's not that I have a secret crush on him, but when I come to think of it, the other lady volunteers in the Institution kept asking me about him. I would practically just say that he's rude when in fact he's the nicest guy I have ever met.

I try to conceal my admiring thought, I was about to speak up but he starts to part his mouth first. "I told Mr. Han that you're asleep so that he can't bother you anymore. I'll just take the double shift since I'm not sleepy at all."

"Why did you have to do that? I really want to help, Jeno." I frown, he suddenly places his hand over my head. He ruffles my hair, "Silly, you take too much supplements that you decline sleep over work, huh?"

I pout, "I just want to come with you."

What I have just said came off in a different tone, Jeno pursed his lips as he stares at me. My eyes widened in surprise, "I mean, since you had a shift tonight, might as well, I'll just be the one to get us supplement supplies from the lab."

I see how he remained speechless for a second but then he etches back his smile again. Seems as though he's buying it. "Mhmm.. if you say so, Gel. Let's go?"

I nod, "Alright, I'll go right after you." He nods back, pacing back as he starts heading down the stairs. I heave a satisfying sigh, closing my eyes shut for awhile. Why do I get so nervous every time I get to talk with Jeno? I shake my horrible thoughts away, taking the used syringe on top of my bed as I put it inside the transparent pouch near the only picture I had as a remembrance of my parents.

Taking notice of the important memorandum, I gently grab the frame as I take a closer look of our family picture which was taken infront of the Westercourt Institution. I can see how happy I was as my father carried me on his back and my mother was beside him, holding each other's hands as she leans her head on his shoulder. They were both wearing a lab suit and I can still remember that it was the day they both passed the assessment as Epidemiologist.

My parents were hardworking. Even though I was still seven back then, I can still remember how busy they were.. studying, formulating something in the lab in our house and ofcourse, taking care of me were the only thing that matters to them.

They would eventually invent some supplements for me to take in every night. My mom told me that it will help me not to get sick especially that I love to go out in our backyard to play with Jeno.

But in two months later, they left me.

The heavenly bodies took my parents away just like that.

I wished I get to be with them as they watch me grow and serve them when I get older. Like what other children do when they grow up with their parents. 

I huff a breath out, realizing that thinking of them and how I wanted my life would be won't bring my parents back even if I want to. At the moment I place down the frame on the desk, I realized that it's time for me to go.

Taking a look on to the window view from the upstairs , I see Jeno patiently waiting for me outside the pick up truck. I hastily took my bag pack which is placed on to my bed side and then I ran down the staircase, meeting Mrs. Lee, Jeno's mother by the main door. "Oh, Angel, where are you going tonight? It's getting late."

"Hi, mom! I'm going to the institution tonight with Jeno to get some supplies." I told her.

Ever since I lived with Jeno and her mother, Mrs. Lee took care of me like her own daughter as well that she even requests me to call her 'mom'. My mom and Mrs. Lee were best friends ever since they were young, they share the same ambition as well. Though unfortunately, Mrs. Lee wasn't able to pass the assessment a few years back together with my parents and Mr. Lee that's the reason why she wasn't able to get in the institution.

"Alright, just remind Jeno about his private license. Okay? Take care you two." She said, proceeding her way to the basement where she usually works with her inventions and her frozen plants as well.

"Thanks, mom!" I smile, taking the jacket from the coat rack before I went out the house.

The cold breeze air swoon over the place, the night sky usually becomes darker and colder at night. Citizens around City 127 are not allowed to go out especially when the clock strikes eleven in the evening. If caught, the soldiers of the Westercourts will have to detain you at the institution for three days.

I checked on the clock and it's already ten in the evening, Jeno and I have an hour to get into the institution before the alarm roars around the whole City 127, instructing everyone to stay at home until five in the morning.

"Did you bring your private license with you?" I ask, meeting Jeno's gaze. "Mom reminded me." The both of us starts to head into his pick up truck, he smiled at me swaying the card infront of me as an answer. I sat on to the passenger's seat, placing my bag pack on to the back seat of his truck.

Jeno head inside the truck as well, clasping his seatbelt as I did the same. "You are such a nocturnal." He mumbles, inserting the keys as he was having a hard time turning on the engine. I understand the whole car dilemma thing since this truck was still Mr. Lee's since he was young. Thinking about it, feels like the truck is already almost twenty years old. And after the death of Mr. Lee, the truck wasn't used at all since Mrs. Lee doesn't know how to drive.

It was just Jeno's curiosity last year that he taught himself how to drive since he was sick on taking the train every time we have our duties in the institution. Even though he's still fifteen, the institution granted him a private license due to his exceptional record as an intern, and that they require his presence more than us from time to time.

"I just don't feel like to sleep. The supplement makes me a nocturnal even more." I spoke, then after a few tries the engine starts to roar and soon he drives out the area.

"It makes you a nocturnal because you take your supplement at bed time." He hissed, "Gel, you have to take it in the morning or else you'll take it as a habit for life. It's unhealthy."

My instant reaction was to look at him when he speaks, but whenever he does, it makes my heart flutter especially when he speaks of his concerns towards mine. I look contrast to his way, instead, I take notice of the quiet town with few led lights were on since the Westercourts could not provide whole electricity service around the City 127. The road is dangerous for us and that explains why people are reprimanded to go out after eleven.

"What's with the assessment tonight anyway?" I spin off the topic.

"I'm really not sure but Mr. Han told me that they will have to test the latest discovery of the Westercourts." He answers, his eyes focused on the road.

"Discovery? What kind of discovery?" I wonder, it's been so long since the Westercourts ended hunger and weakness since they invented the supplement spine which all the humans are taking it as a part of their everyday lives.

"I.. I'm really not sure of that Gel, you know, the assessments are forbidden activities inside the institution. I'll let you know right away once we get there." He spoke all too serious which I was left with no choice but to buy his words in understanding.

Only a matter of fifteen minute ride, we reached the Institution where the soldiers are lined up across the gates and their trucks are ready to be filled with each assigned men to roam around the streets to make sure everyone's safety before eleven strikes up.

We pass by the emergency gate where Jeno and I shows up our Ashborne Institutional IDs and even his private license to make sure that he's not breaking the law of driving amidst being under aged. "Assessment, 119. Mr. Jerson Han." Jeno spoke.

The soldiers who's in charge by the gates scanned our IDs into the led monitor until it flashes a green blink as if saying we are permitted to go. "Thanks." Jeno receives the IDs as the huge silver gate opens slowly.

Though some of the soldiers have known us already since Jeno usually comes here often, being assigned from time to time.

Jeno drove inside the premises, we parked near the back door of the lab room where the supplement supplies are located. "I'll head over the lab now, I'll meet you at the lounge once you're done. Okay?" I inform Jeno, reaching for the bag pack from the back seat.

"Copy that, madam!" He stuffs a joke, I smirk on him as I unclasp the seatbelt and head out of the truck. I heard him chuckle as he heads out as well.

It was cold as ice, even though in two months time, winter season will be coming again which I basically hated the most because I really can't get the strength to head out of the house.

"Gel, wait a sec." Jeno spoke, I turn to face him as I can see the air between his breath. He was holding a pair of cotton gloves, I watch it as he takes my left hand wearing the warm cloth on it as he did it on my right arm after. I was left speechless, nor can't pull my hands the moment he insists to wear it for me.

"You always forget to wear them. The weather's too chilly, you should protect yourself from getting sick again." His voice was soft and gentle, like he was speaking more to himself.

The moment I realize that he is still holding my hand, I flinch the slightest as I pull it away from him. "Thank you, Jeno." It was all I could ever utter out from my nervous mouth. I tried the hardest to look away upon thanking him but he cups both of my cheeks like the way he use to do.

Jeno is younger than me, no, two years younger than me but the way he acts is like a man to me. I don't want to misunderstand his act of kindness but as time passes by, he was persistent that sometimes I am misleading it with malice.

"J-Jeno..?" "I'll see you later, okay? Be good." He mumbles softly, giving a last squish on my cheeks as the both of us were locked on each other's stares. For a minute, I know was shivering in cold. But with Jeno's touch I felt all my flesh burning inside me. What is this kind of magical thing it does on me? "Let's go?" He snaps, pulling his hands away from my cheeks.

He saunters first as I was left frozen for a second. It gets cold again, Jeno's presence was like a magic of warmth to me that I know, I needed the most. 

What were you even thinking, Angel? There's still some time to turn back on this. Jeno deserves more than just yourself and besides, he is like a younger brother to you. Even if it's just some sort of puppy love they call, his actions and mine were more than that, and it's quite painful.

"Hey, Gel? You coming or what?"

Jeno calls, I snap back to my senses as I smile for him. "Coming!" I ran towards him as he gladly waits for me. He hangs his long sleek arm around my shoulders as the both of us saunters our way to the back door. 

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f443978305a7646667253644d72673d3d2d3737303339363339342e313562616333653833366431623063663933353132343930313037312e706e67?s=fit&w=1280&h=1280

A/N : hi guys! i just have to say that i really have that habit of maximizing every scene that is why i get to make long chapters and always ruin my original plans for each chapters i have in mind :) but anyway, cheers to this first ever chapter!~ 

i hope you guys will like this story as much as i was excited thinking about it. y'know, it actually took me almost a month on plotting this book, yes! i actually made drafts for the sequencing of events of this book so that i won't be leaving this hanging when the time comes. 

please let me know your thoughts about this, also this is my first ever NCT ff btw my bias is jaehyun, jeno, ten and winwin.. and.. wait but can u ever pick a one bias on them? I GUESS NOT lol :D  actually i really love everyone of them, they have different characters in which made me fall in love with them one by one. so yeah, okay enough with my a/n :D 

please upvote and subscribe, it means alot to me~ love you all~ :D <3