City ₪ Two

CITY 127 ₪ nct ff

 

 

I swipe my ID onto the led system beside the door of the lab where supplement supplies are placed in. The green light flickers as the door automatically opens. This got to be one of our perks since we work as an intern in the Westercourt Institution, we can basically get some supplies anytime we want to.

 

The whole room is designed in plain white walls and silver trays and cabinets. The syringes are lined up in each cabinet in packs, ready to be distributed by the volunteers like us every morning. I take three packs which contains ten syringes each for Mrs. Lee, Jeno and I.

 

As I place the packs inside my bag, I noticed through the window view were five doctors including Jeno and a girl wearing in a white hospital dress in which I think in the same as Jeno's age passing by the lab room.

 

In my curiosity, I immediately pack my stuff as I slowly open the door and slightly peaked my head to see where they may be heading at. I noticed that they just make an entrance to one of doors, four doors away from the lab room to be exact.

 

My brows curved in curiosity even more, "What are they going to do in the test lab?" I mumble to myself. Though I know Jeno has been called to assist during an assessment, I wonder what kind of assessment would it be?

 

I head out of the room, walking pass the hallway. Seems as though the institution smells like a hospital due to the supplements being stock in this floor. I make a stop a feet away from the room where I saw them coming inside. Not that I am trying to peak on to their activity and Jeno said it's a private activity.. it's just that I'm here now, the more I shrug it off, the more my curiosity grows bigger.

 

I clear my throat, realizing that there was a security camera attached on to the wall near me. I play safe as I make a turn to the other corner of the room in which the cleaner's room is located, just beside the test lab. I peak into the window though there is a curtain blocking but I can still catch a glimpse of the activities being done inside.

 

There, I saw the girl seated on to the hospital chair as the other doctors were holding some apparatuses and syringes were lined up on to the table. I can see Jeno locking up the girl's hand one by one as I can see the frail look on the girl's eyes.

 

The said girl had messy brown hair, her skin was white but she had an intense dark circles around her eyes that shows like she haven't slept for days, she's was so thin like she did not take any supplements for days and judging by the way she looks, she suffers from Anorexia.

 

Maybe the assessment was all about saving people like her. For years, it's been every society's problem. The lack of nutrition and proper health care.

 

City 127 is a huge city and I can agree that help can't even reach out to everyone.

 

Soon after, I watch as Jeno taking a step back from the girl as the doctors are about to start their assessment. I had a tough time watching since one was blocking the sight, but I noticed that the girl was trying to get herself out from the locks which Jeno clamps on her.

 

It took less than a minute before I heard a loud scream coming inside the room. I gasp the moment I finally get a clearer vision of the girl who was screaming in pain. The doctors took three meter steps away from the girl, watching the girl even Jeno who remained still beside the door.

 

It just took less than a minute to turn the girl in berserk, she was screaming in pain as she tries to get off from the locks. Beads of sweat were forming into her whole body, until I noticed that her pale white skin were tatted with veins which most likely to pop out when it gets worse. Her nails dug destructively into sheets, which causes to rip it apart from sheets to the mattress.

 

My eyes remained wide, shivering in fear as I cover my mouth as soon as possible avoiding to make a sound. The screaming continues, getting louder and raspy as I watch her eyes turn red, then green, then blue. I worried alot and this isn't helping her, infact the assessment is destroying her!

 

In just a second, the scream shuts down as the only thing I can hear is my beating heart who drops down the moment I saw the girl lying lifelessly. One of the doctors tried to pump her but with the facial reactions they had, I assumed one thing. She's dead. 

 

A tear escaped right into my eye, I couldn't take a look anymore as I lean my back on the wall. What did I saw just now?! I thought the Westercourts are doing their best to make people alive amidst the hardships given by the post-apocalyptic world?! I can't stand they have to sacrifice a single life of person just because of their ing failed test?!

 

I cover my face as tears were streaming down my face. What have they done?! I was mentally speaking to myself in fear and anger at the same time, until I heard someone calling out my name. "Gel.."

 

I knew it was Jeno, no doubt it was him. I felt his hand grips into my wrist but I slap his touch right away, "Y-You.." I stutter, fear consumed me just now. "You let her die, Jeno."

 

"Angel.." I can see the regret look on his face, I know he wanted to explain everything to me because knowing Jeno, he wouldn't let me left hanging out on the things I want to know. "Let me explain."

 

"Everything was clear, Jeno. You, doing nothing against something isn't good is so not you! Why did you let her die?! What was the assessment all about?!" I exclaimed.

 

For the first time in my life, I watch Jeno with this kind of facial expression. It pains to see him sad and more over, I know that he did something which was against his will. "Listen," He huffs a breath out. "The assessment you witnessed was not the first time it happened here. Actually," He gulps, looking straight into my wobbling eyes. "It exists right after the day of the apocalypse. Means to say, hundredths of years since this assessment existed. For the Westercourts, the only solution to lessen the wide spread of diseases and even the lifeless people is to eradicate them."

 

"I don't get the point where killing is the only solution that they can ever think of?! I watch.." I paused, my face looked grim as I continue to cry infront of him. "I watch an innocent girl turn into a monster and in just a second, she turned into a corpse! You can't just expect me to understand this whole ty organization do to us!"

 

"Angel," He frets, inching closer to me as he did not hesitate to embrace me as I sob on his chest. "I'm sorry. If only I can help you get out of this messed up world, I would. I would always refrain you from being a volunteer during an assessment, because I don't want you to experience the kind I have to endure almost everyday. But this," he paused. "It pains me even more seeing you like this."

 

My head was feeling hefty, I do not know the reason of my tears anymore. Was it because I saw an innocent girl die infront of me? Was it because how the world gets cruel each of our every day lives? Or was it because I felt bad for approaching him this way but at the same time, I felt safe with Jeno by my side?

 

"I'm sorry.." It was all I could ever utter from my mouth. I pull away from his embrace first, surprised, I see his lips curved into smile as he wipes my tears with his handkerchief. "It's okay, I'll should be the one to apologize for not letting you know about what the Westercourts has been doing over the years."

 

I shake my head, "I just can't believe you took the risk for me. You took all the burdens and not letting me know about it. I'm sorry you had to see first how cruel the world is. You're too young--"

 

Jeno stops me as he places his point finger to shut my lips, "You know I hate it when you see me as too young for you."

 

My lips pursed, but eventually it made me smile. "Jeno?"

 

"If you won't stop saying those words, I'll definitely kiss you."

 

My eyes rounded in shock, I absolutely did not expect him to threat me that way. We were like siblings and siblings don't do nasty things to each other. He's like a younger brother to me and we can't really be something more than that. Or was I really the one who's expecting?

 

"I.." I stutter, trying to conceal my hot cheeks that just embers through my veins now. "I'll just wait for you by the lounge."

 

As I check into my wrist watch, it's still pass one in the morning. We still have four more hours before the curfew ends and that we can now travel back home. I sigh, walking out first as I left Jeno frozen in place.

 

I head down the lounge where some several staffs who have ended their shift had to wait for the curfew to end. I sat by the white couch across the two lady volunteers who had been conversing with each other, their voices were too low but it was easy for me to eavesdrop on them. I reach for the magazine from the table infront me, covering my face as if I was reading, but not. 

 

"I thought she was going to survive, I heard five doctors participated in that assessment. Take note, they were the bests here in the institution." One said. 

 

"Her body even rots in less than an hour, the experiment gets worse every month. None of it would even survive. If the Westercourts keep on doing such thing, turning useless people into their experimental pets, it's better if we just die in hunger than to rot our bodies like that."

 

"You're right, I would have run away if I want to. But we have no where else to go."

 

Then a device suddenly flicks on one of the lady's wrist, "Oh. Duty calls again. The Westercourt doctors would like to have another set of assessment. Let's go?" "Aish.. I'm so sick of seeing dead bodies for a day." "Shh..! Let's not talk about it anymore or else, we'll die if someone hears us." "Yeah, yeah..! Whatever you say."

 

I gulp, the way everything sounded made me nervous. But even though I was nervous, I scoff in disgust as I place down the magazine back on the rack. I have never regretted the decision to come with Jeno today, I have been able to crack one of the secrets of this institution which I have been working with. I thought the Westercourts has a clear motive for the society, they provide our needs for free, they provide jobs for us who did not even get to have a proper education and they even ensure our safety. 

 

Suddenly, my peripheral vision caught a group of boys wearing the same hospital dress as they were heading towards the lounge area. The odds weren't in my favor, my heart even flopped the moment I see that one of the boys were Jisung, Renjun, Chenle and Jaemin. The boys were walking in straight line, following one of the lady volunteers I saw just a minute ago. 

 

I can clearly see the anxiety and fear through their eyes, they all looked down innocently like kids who were strictly instructed. The blood rush in my body severely, forcing me to stand up from my sitting position. I can't remember the day when I haven't awakened to doubt, worry, and heart-sickness. What are they doing here?!

 

"J-Jisung..?" I nervously mumble. 

 

Jisung, is the youngest and the orphan I was assigned to take care with every single day. The kid doesn't like to take his supplement on his own as he wants me to do it for him that is why I would always visit the orphanage every afternoon. Jisung is sweet and fragile, he reminds me of Jeno. 

 

"Sister Angel..!~" Jisung's facial expression glows up the moment he sees me, I rush into him as I embrace him not minding about the two volunteers who accompanied them. "Why are you here, Jisung? Why is everyone here?" Even though I am embracing him, I cannot help but to look at Renjun, Chenle and Jaemin who had their frail smiles as the see me. 

 

"They said that we will no longer live in the orphanage, Sister Angel." Chenle spoke innocently. 

 

I pull away from Jisung, "And they will give us alot of comics to read with." Renjun added. 

 

"And they gave us free candies!" Jaemin chirpily said. I see the innocent look on their faces, but I assumed that they were blinded by the Westercourts. Jisung tugs me on my elbow, I look down on his palm in which I saw small beads in different colors. "Do you want some candies? It really tastes good, sister Angel! I bet you never tasted anything in your life." 

 

I was too busy thinking about the candies he was talking about. He was offering me to get some on his palm but unexpectedly, one of the volunteer slap his hand away from me. "Excuse me, but the doctors are already waiting for them."

 

"D-Doctors?!" I mumble in beneath my nervous breath, until I watch the arrival of Jeno from the elevator. I immediately pull Jisung to stay behind me, Jeno glanced at me for a moment before he talks with the two lady volunteers. 

 

"Mr. Han just told me that the doctors would have to call it a day, the assessment will proceed as per instruction. As for the boys, we'll let them stay in the quarter rooms for now." Jeno turns to look at me, "Angel and I will led them to their rooms. Mr. Han needs you two in the lab room." 

 

"Is that so, well then, okay." One lady volunteer said, Jeno has the higher position among us since he's the right hand of Mr. Han, the executive doctor representative of City 127. "We'll go ahead now."

 

As if as though my beating heart slowly stops from tormenting my body, I sigh in relief as I watch the lady volunteers walking out the area leaving me, Jeno and the orphans. I face to look back at Jisung, embracing him wholeheartedly. "Thank God."

 

"Why are you worrying, Sister Angel?" He asks innocently. 

 

"N-Nothing, Jisung." It's just that I don't want you to experience the horrifying thing I've witnessed an hour ago. 

 

I smile instead, pulling away from him and I take a notice on the sleepy looks of the other orphans. I felt a hand on my shoulder, it was Jeno. "They all looked so tired now. Let's accompany them to the quarter rooms."

 

I nodded in understanding, we followed Jeno as he leads the way to the other unit building where us interns use to stay for the night until the curfew sets off the day. I suddenly wonder why did he take us here and not in the quarter rooms in the main institutional building? 

 

From the second floor of the building, Jeno makes a turn on to the end hallway where a huge maroon door is located. He took a key out from his side pocket, he inserted it and now it opens. 

 

Slowly, the whole room is dark and no lights were on. "Jeno, aren't we suppose to be in the main building? And what is this room?" I haven't been here at this room at all. 

 

"Shh, let's talk later. Okay? The boys are sleepy, look at them."

 

I turn to look back at the orphans, they were half asleep as they were standing behind us. Jisung even yawned, leaning his forehead on my shoulder. I gently catch his head, "Okay.."

 

Jeno plainly smiles, stepping inside the room as he switches the lights on. The room is about the size of my room and Jeno's when combined. There were two master beds, a couch, television and a round table. There was also a small window from the upper right wall. 

 

I lead Jisung and Chenle on to the first bed, Jeno leads Jaemin and Renjun onto the other bed across us. I watch the boys crawling on to the beds. "Goodnight, Sister Angel." Chenle mumbles groggily beside Jisung. I tuck them to their blankets, even Jeno across us. "Sweet dreams, my Chenle." I planted a kiss on his forehead, and then I walk towards Jisung's side. 

 

Seems as though Renjun and Jaemin already fell asleep. Jeno stood up, switching the lights off. The whole rooms wasn't invisible, the moonlight casts from the small window from the upper wall. I sat beside Jisung's head, caressing his soft silky hair. His and my favorite thing. 

 

I have been with Jisung for five years, I was like his older sister in the orphan. I watch him grow over the years, I feed him, play with him and share bed time stories whenever he feels sleepy even in the afternoon. Jisung isn't as healthy unlike the other orphans, when he was a child he usually gets sick from not getting enough supplements for each day and one of the workers in the orphanage told me that ever since Jisung's parents died when he was five, he never liked the idea of getting supplements because he wanted to die rather than live in this world without his parents.

 

That's why I was so attached with the kid. I felt the same way too. 

 

I lost my parents at an early age, I wanted to come with them in heavens too.

 

I was also in the verge of killing myself out of sadness and depression but Jeno was there. 

 

He was the only friend that I have. He saved me even though I was not asking for help. 

 

And I know how it feels, even though Jisung doesn't asks for any help.. I wanted to be the light in his own darkness. 

 

"Sleepwell, my Jisung." I mumble silently, planting a kiss on his forehead. He used to sleep easily everytime I caress my fingers onto his hair. I know he's already asleep and it's a relief to see him sleeping so peacefully. 

 

Suddenly, my peripheral vision caught Jeno staring at me. He was seated on to the bedside where Renjun and Jaemin sleeps. I can still see a smile on his face and then after he walks to our bedside, he takes a seat and carefully look into my eyes. 

 

He did not smile anymore, hence, he looked like he wanted to say something important to me that I could feel my heart beating so fast. 

 

"Angel.."

 

He spoke my real name. Not Gel. 

 

"Am I really too young for you?" He asks out of the blue. I stuff my palm on my mouth, holding my laugh not to burst. 

 

"Are you serious?" I whisper exasperatedly. 

 

"Yes." His iris glimmers as the moonlight gave an access to his features and I can't help but to admire how pretty he looks. It's leaving me breathless.

 

I cannot speak a work out of my mouth, it's not because I can't collect the right words to say, but I am scared to atleast give a hint about my hidden feelings for him. And I don't want him to feel the same way as I do to him.

 

Suddenly, my hand that was once on top of my lap now being gently touched and held by Jeno. My heart suddenly beats fast once he scoots closer to me.

 

And with his words now being said, I don't know what to feel anymore.

 

"I like you, Angel."

 

 

 

A/N : waah, sorry it took some time for me to update. #EXplOrationInManila happened for 2 days, by means, i attended the con for 2 days 😂 anyway, i'm going to spice things up even in the first chapters. but then i hope you guys like it! ♥️