Three #1

Three

 

 

I opened my eyes to a world of complete white. It is like a universe of nothingness. There was no one, nothing that my eyes can see other than white. I inhaled, realised that the intense burned feeling in my heart had disappeared.

Where are you? Where is this place? I need to find out.

I stood up on my feet and walked. As I walked through the white and slightly cold place, I stepped into a meadow of yellow and green, with random dots of pink.  

An old lady sat on the bench in the middle of the meadow. I walked towards her.

“Ann yeong!”

She looked busy on her desk work. There were massive interweaving networks on her screen.

She stopped what she was doing and stood up, “You are here.”

“Where is this place? Why am I here?”

 “This is the place that your heart desired to be. That’s why you are here.”

“Me?”

She nodded. Small eyes, guarded expression, hard lines on her wrinkled face, it is hard to guess her age or intention.

“Let me show you something. Then, we’ll talk.” She waved her fingers and seemed to have removed a round bubble from my head. The bubble broke in the air and its contents dispersed all over me.

Suddenly, an intense influx of pain flooded me. Along with that, massive memories of me and you (Was it me and you as the era and clothing differ! Bo.. Hyung.. ) flooded my mind.  I squirmed and held my head, bearing the ache that is attacking me.

“What you are seeing is your previous existence.” She explained emotionlessly.

The physical and mental pain of the previous, multiplied with those from this life, exploded in me.  It hurt more. At the same time, I also yearn more for you now.

“I…”

“Why did you do to me?” I screamed, still in much shock. “What was that that is in my mind?”

“I helped you recollect your entire past life, which is stored in a memory bubble in your head. It has always been there. Some people’s determination can puncture the memory bubble and caused it to leak. Thus, some are able to see snippets of it in their dreams. For you, I broke the entire bubble for you to see the 40 years of your previous life all at one go. I know it is shocking, but it is true. You get to meet me now as you are a special one, a rarity.”

“Did you see what I just did?” the intense pain lessened.

“No, only those who are in those memories can see them. From your expression, I can tell how shocking you were. So, do you have anything to say? Any words? Any regrets in your existence?” She continued, “There is no need to hide. As I could easily sift out all the noise, no matter what that is. I just wanted to hear it from you.”

“I served my nation well.”

“I am more than aware of that fact. Anything else? Regrets?”

“Bo. Young.”

She nodded again, her expression turned softer, almost to a tone of kind this time.

“What about her?”

“I like her. I owe her. I need her. I wanted to see her again.”

She sat up straight. So, that is what she is leading me to. “How much are you willing to do it?”, she asked.

How could I trade with nothing much at hand, I wondered?

My slight halt didn’t escape her eyes. “Don’t worry.  The loyalty in you is what I want. That’s the chip you have. Now, it all depends on how much you are willing to give up for your wish.”

“I’ll do whatever if I could for her.”

I would have said that already. Memories from my previous existence have just reinforced my will.

“That’s an irreversible oath.”

“What are the terms?”

“You may return to Earth. Look for her. Wait for her. I give you the time for that. To exchange for the extra time, you need work for me.”

“What does the work entails?”

“You will start ‘work’ a year from now, after your predecessor retires. You will be issued a collection list at the beginning of each month. Go to the coordinates listed on the collection list, bubble up their memories and usher them up the right train. Upon fulfilment of our deal, you can be free. I’ll decide when it is considered fulfilled.”

“Just that?”

She continued, “Your predecessor will brief you in detail. However, I must highlight  some additional conditions – You should not question anything on the ‘work’ or whom you would see and collect. No retaliation. The consequences of your non-compliance is usually disastrous to the one whom you love most.”

I have nothing to lose now.

She continued, “You can lead whatever Earth life you want while ‘working’ for me. You will be stagnant at the age that you are now. Do we have a deal?”

“Yes,” was all I replied. I was determined. There is no right or wrong now. There is only the thing that I most craved – is you, be back to you. The rest can wait.

"I need a collateral from you, something from you. (She looked at me) The black from the crown on your head suffices."

I nodded.

“Unlike others who have their entire memory set bubbled, I’ll only bubble up her face from your memory. Your visions of her will be clearer when you are nearer and emotionally closer to her. While searching, carry out your ‘work’.”

We shook hands.

She conjured a train station with 2 platforms. Locomotives with white steam piping out of its chimney are ready to depart. Whistles heard. She gestured for me to board.

“Board the train at the opposite platform,” she said. “Go!”

I hopped on without hesitation. I just hoped that, I am still in time.