Two #1

Three

 

 

It was almost pitch dark in the forest, with only light illumination from the crescent moon. I could hear hard, fast-moving stealthy footsteps approaching. I squeezed my fist, clenching onto this valuable, freshly stolen piece of military information. Damn it that I was caught on the way out and now, enemy troops are storming near, trailing me closely on my tail. What could I do now? My meet-up has yet to arrive. Do I continue hiding here? Or keep moving? Hide the stick first and create a distraction, then come back for it later, what if? .. or…

While my mind raced for the possibilities, weighing and calculating the risks of each, several gunshots were fired nearby. I felt my side burned and my fist clasped tightly onto the stick that is so important, more critical than my life. I had not failed in my previous missions, and I would not fail now. I’ll rather die than to return this critical piece of information to the enemies.

While further gunshots are heard at a distance, I felt my side burnt and grass stuffed my nostrils.  It was also then, that I saw the presence of a hooded silhouette nearby.

 

I woke up in some pain, not knowing where I was and how longed I had passed out, on a hard, wooden plank bed, with a dry throat. My stomach area was bandaged completely and securely, and a water bottle by the side. It took so much strength just to force myself up to reach that bottle. God, I am thirsty! A young lady’s voice sounded nearby, “Here, let me.” She approached, took and gave the bottle to me. I took a huge gulp and swallowed. I coughed. I choked. My throat was too dry, and my body can’t handle the sudden influx of fluids after being in a long drought. “I know you are thirsty but take your time,” she advised. That tone was gentle but firm. Obediently, I took the next few mouthfuls in smaller sips to adjust.

“Some colour returned to your face”, her voice strangely comforting. Is this heaven? She had anticipated my question before words came from me, “You were out for 2 days.” She provided. “It is about time that you wake up. Else, my reputation will be ruined.”

“What happened out there? Who are you?” I asked.

She stretched out her hand. “Young.” She is such a small and petite girl. “Why?” Why tell me your name? It is dangerous.

“Yes, I am small, but feisty.” She laughed, the brightest and most cheerful voice that I heard in days, no, even years, “Yes, I know the potential danger. But I know that I can trust you”, she is young, yet highly confident, I felt that in her instantly.

“I am very sorry that I was held up at the bar and hence late in meeting you at the fringe of the forest. I saw soldiers searching for you. Thus, I arranged some distractions to divert their attention while I kind of fished you away. However, you still suffered a shot.”

I touched my left stomach instinctively.

“How’s the pain?” she asked.

This is not the worst I experienced. “Bearable.” I answered softly, gratefully.

She nodded, “You are tough”, she must have seen the scars on my torso, I thought. “You lost a lot of blood during surgery. We have infused some for you. For the rest, you have to rest and replenish it yourself. So, rest now” She smiled, pointed me to lay down and arranged the covers.  She took the near empty bottle and said, “I’ll top it up and leave it here. Drink when you are up. Keep yourself hydrated. I’ll leave to open my bar and be back in a couple of hours, with something for you to eat.”

Do I look lost? She added, “Don’t worry, I have removed the bullet and stitched it up properly, almost meticulously. You will not even notice that it was there once it is healed”, she joked, lightening the atmosphere so much that brought a smile (that come instinctively) on my face.

“You smiled!” she laughed. “That’s right! You have such a handsome face. You should smile more. The people in our line are way too stern.”

Yes, you are right. In this messy era, happiness is so lacking and bad news flood us continuously. Laughter is so precious, way more valuable.

Everything I did took much effort, even talking and smiling. Maybe your words made me felt relatively more at ease, weariness started to set in.

“Thank you,” I murmured to my saviour.   

“You are welcome!”, she chuckled. “Oppps, I don’t mean that I want you to experience more of my sewing skills although I could handle the scalpel and needle really well!” I felt my lips curved upwards while my eye lids closed.

“You are tired. Rest. We have time. We talk more next time…”

 

 

In the next few days, different people delivered food and medication to me. They are kind and cordial, but aloof and cautious too. The norm for agents. This time of each day, I peeped out of the cottage window, with a mild hope in my mind. I know I hope to see you. A few more dawns later, I felt good enough (more like bored after being cooped up in a room for days) and walked gingerly to the fields. I reached the shade of the majestic tree. I looked up, feeling the rays of sunshine that shone through its foliage. I sat at the roots and leaned against its stable trunk, my eyes closed momentarily, waiting for my panting to subside, feeling the fresh air gracing my face.

“Hey, you are here! How are you feeling today?”

That familiar voice! I instinctively replied, “Hey, where did you go?”

“Me?” your eyebrow raised slightly. “So sorry, I left for a few days to attend to some patients who needed immediate attention in the next town,” you answered. You took the space next to me and handed me a bottle of water. The same bottle from the day I woke.  

Your voice sincere and warm, a refreshing change from the usual agents, let me feel comforted instantly. “You are a doctor?” I continued the conversation that lightened my mood and mind.

“I learnt all about human anatomy and surgery from my grandfather who was a western surgeon since I was 6. I was the crazy one and went around bisecting frogs before grandmother made them into delicious stews. Insensée, kurutta, my grandmother always say”, you  laughed more.

“Insensée? Ku..? ” I asked.

“Oh, French. Japanese. My grandmother taught me those”, you answered.

French? Not a commonly known language. And Japanese? “How many languages do you know?”, you have triggered my curiosity.

“5 or 6? and my grandmother is way better than me”, you are proud and yet humble.

“Why did you become an agent? Why did you trust me?”

“I have seen a lot of people. I can read you. A patriotic man is not evil.”

“You believe in instincts.”

“Yes. And to answer your earlier question. My family started to support the rebels in secret long ago. When I was in my late teens, my grandparents lost their lives in a mission,” you halted before continuing, “I aim to continue their will. I know that is what they want.” You  ended. A tint of sadness intruded your luminous eyes.  

I patted your hand lightly, “I am sorry.”

“That was a while ago," your reply soft, seemed choked. You took out the necklace near your neckline, “They are here, reminding me to continue, fight, and survive”, pointing to a pendant on your necklace. “We have to continue living. Then, there is hope.”

You wiped your teary eyes consciously, “In this era, I am sure everyone has a story of their own. I will survive, survive brightly.”

You impressed me with your remarkable will and resilience.