Sunrise Hotel

Sunrise Hotel

It was another typical work day at the South Korean Special Detective Forces, SDF for short. I was sorting out my papers when my cell phone rang.

 

I didn't look at the caller ID before I answered it.

 

"Hello?" I answered, tiredly. It was a very lazy and tired day at work and all I wanted to do was go home.

 

"Jiyun?!" the person on the other line, a woman, sounded frantic. It was enough to drive me on edge. "Jiyun! It's bad! It's really bad! Taehyung he... He killed someone..."

 

I shot up in my seat almost immediately. "What the hell, Taehyung?!"

 

......

 

I arrived at the docks, where Taehyung was. He was standing on the edge, his back facing me. I could see a knife stained with blood wrapped tightly inside his hand. I pulled my gun out, and aimed it straight at his skull.

 

"Taehyung!"

 

He turned his head around to face me. His face showed no emotion.

 

"Taehyung why..."

 

He turned his body around completely to face me. He pulled his knife up to his chest, pointing it at me.

 

"You won't understand even if I told you." he said. His voice deep and filled with emotion. He took a step closer to me and before I could react, he started running at me.

 

Out of impulse... I reacted...

 

Bang.

 

I shot him. Once. The bullet pierced his left chest.

 

He lost his footing and fell head first into the water.

 

"J-Jungkook..." was the last thing I ever heard from her before he hit the waters.

 

.......

 

"GAH...!"

 

My body shoots itself up with a bouncy jolt on the bed. I look around with sweat trickling down my brow, my hands gripping onto the white sheets of my bed. After I finally manage to calm down, I run my hands through my messy brown hair and sit on the edge of my bed.

 

"Just a dream...."

 

........


I start my car up again and begin driving down the deserted road from the empty gas station, heading towards Sunrise Hotel. A place where they say Yumi was last seen about a few days ago. I would be surprised if I see her there though, because for all I know, she's dead.

I shot her after all... That's why I quit the force anyway.

My phone buzzes on the passenger's seat. I pick it up with a groan and answer it. "Yes?"

"Ms. Kim! Why didn't you check into work today?" my boss, Kim Namjoon asks, his tone impatient and loud.

"Stop yelling boss," I say, my eyes focusing on the road. "My head's pounding so much it feels like hell."

"Hungover eh? Well that's not my problem," he snaps. "Now listen, I got a job for ya."

"Sure, when do you not have a job for me?"

"Watch that mouth before I fire you young lady," he says and I can hear him chuckle. "You're heading to Sunrise Hotel aren't ya?"

"Yeah why?"

"Listen, there's going to be two packages delivered there in about two days. I want you to pick it up for me and bring it back."

"Can't you do it on your own?" I ask. I don't really want to deal with work when I'm searching for my friend.

"I'm not travelling five states just to get to Sunrise Hotel." he says, coughing.

"Then ask them to deliver it to you." I say, half annoyed. I stop in front of a traffic light and lean my back into the soft cushion of the car.

"You work for me so do as I say, besides, you're going to Sunrise Hotel anyway, I'm only asking you to pick it up on your way back to Seoul, nothing more. Is that too much? If it is, I'll gladly kick you off the-"

God this man is annoying.

I sigh and cut him off. "Okay okay, fine, I'll do it. Just stop."

"Good girl, now drive safe. The order sheet and everything is inside that box, when you get yourself a room and set up, call my assistant." he says. I don't know why but I can feel him smiling.

"Which assistant?" I ask. My boss has way too many assistance, some girls some boys.

"Kim Seokjin, who else?"

"You could have added 'personal' assistant but okay."

"Enough talking, more driving!" he snaps, and I almost giggle. He gets really funny when he's annoyed well enough. "Are you almost there?"

"A few more minutes I suppose. There's not even any traffic."

"That's what I like to hear. Now keep going." he says and ends the call with me. I throw my phone back to where it was and start driving once the lights turn from red to green.

After driving for some time, I notice a person walking on the side of the road. As I drive up closer, I realise it's a man. He hears my car approaching and turns his body around to look at my car. I slowly stop my car beside him and he stops walking as well.

I roll down my window and look out at him. He looks to be in his early twenties with messy curly brown hair, sharp eye features, and a muscular body. He's wearing a white T-shirt with baggy jeans. He has a bag pack dangling on one of his shoulder.

He smiles back at me, showing his perfect bunny teeth. "Oh, hello there, need anything?" his voice is soft and kind.

"Do you look like you'd have something I need?" I ask. I wonder if I sound rude.

He seems to be taken aback by my choice of words and falls silent for a while. He blinks and then shakes his head. "Of course not, but why'd you stop your car?"

"I mean you do look like you could use a lift." I say.

He scratches the back of his head. "Yeah well, my car broke down a few miles away from here so..." he trails off and clears his throat. "Where're you headed?"

"Sunrise Hotel, ever heard of it?"

His dark brown eyes lights up. "Indeed I have. In fact, that's where I'm heading."

"Oh, then I'll be happy to give you a lift." I say, unlocking the doors for him.

He fumbles around in his pockets and gives me a nervous chuckle. "I'm sorry miss I don't really have any coins..."

"You don't have to pay me you know." I say, rolling my eyes at him.

He chuckles shyly and hops into the passengers seat beside me. He fastens his seatbelt and relaxes in his seat comfortably. "Thank you miss... Um... Your name?"

"You first. I'm not telling a stranger my name." I say, facing him with my arms folded.

"Yeah well, neither am I." he says, looking at me straight in the eyes.

"Then okay, we don't need to know each other's names." I shift the gear into drive and start driving forward again. After a few minutes more of driving, we finally reach the hotel.

It's not fancy it anything, no shiny lights or much, but it's just a big building with red brick walls and windows that looks like it needs to be cleaned. There's vines on the walls and the parking space has a few cars parked in it.

I find a spot to park and turn off the engine and get out of the car. The young man does the same.

Before we walk into the hotel, he clears his throat. "My name's Jeongguk. Jeon Jeongguk."

"I'm Jiyun. Kim Jiyun."