Chapter 4

Breaking Free

Jaemin turned his head when heard a joyful laughter. He saw girl chasung after a guy as they raced to the school.

"Already eyeing girls I see." Jeno teased and he rolled his eyes at him.

"She looked kinda familiar.." jaemin said, looking away.

"You always say that." Jeamin scoffed and threw his bag over his shoulder.

"Whatever. Let's just go before we get late on our first day." Jeno chuckled and swung an arm over jaemin's shoulder.

"Kaja!" Both boys marched towards their new school in high spirits.

Jaemin is grateful for jeno. When he was out there starving in the cold waiting for his sister, that didn't seem to have any plans coming back for him, jeno had found him.

Jeno called his father who rushed on his aid. They brought him to the hospital and fed him. After learning he was alone, jeno's family made decision to adopt jaemin.

"You think you'll find her here?" Jeno silently whispered.

"Find who? I'm not looking for anyone." Jaemin's mood immediately turned.

"I'm sure she didn't mean to leave you behind."

"We're not talking this. I don't have anyone else but you guys and I'm ok with that." Jeno sighed and shook his head.

What jaemin didn't know, jeno and his father wasn't in the area as a coincidence.

His father came home one day from a funeral of a childhood friend and jeno as a kid, searched his father's pocket for a candy only to see a paper in it. Jeno already knows how to read and write so when he read the clumsy writing on the note, he dashed to his parents.

"Appa! Appa!" His parents were startled to hear urgency in his voice.

"I found this in your pocket." He handed the paper to his father and his mother gasped.

"Where did you get this?"

"In the pocket of your jacket."

"Where do you think you got it from?" Jeno's mother asked worriedly.

"I don't know... I don't remember meeti—" jeno's father stopped in realization and told them about his friend's daughter who he helped up when she fell to the ground.

"Oh no. Poor child." Jeno's mother ached for the children.

"There's two of them. She has a younger brother who's the same age woth jeno." Jeno frowned upon hearing that. It means that kid is also hurt.

The note reads plees help. Father hits us.

"I don't know where they live. I'll look into it." Jeno's father immediately went into action.

"Hurry love, we don't know what will happen to those poor children." It took a couple of days for him to be able and get the information and he filed a report to the police.

Together with the police, they came to the house but found no one there. The place was thrashed.

The police searched the place and found evidences of the father's violence with not only the children but his wife as well.

Apparently, before the mother of the household died she made sure she'll get evidence to pry her children off from her husband's care.

The police promised to bring justice to the family but they stopped looking there. Jeno was with his dad that time and was hungry.

They walked away from the house and looked for somewhere to eat. They found a bakery with an old woman and bought their bread there.

"Excuse me sir. Did you perhaps seen a little girl? She doesn't look like a beggar but she's hungry. I turned to give her food for her and her brother but she was gone when I turned back. I peeked outside to see her running away and saw some guys chasing her." Jeno strayed away from his father as he inquired more from the old lady. There, by the huge tree, he saw a boy his age, weakly shivering against a trunk.