Chapter 3

Breaking Free

Hyerae woke up to the sound of people passing by, her sight was greeted with a blinding white light and she raised an arm to shield her from it then she noticed something stuck on it. A dextrose was connected to it. She's at the hospital.

"You're awake." Hyerae turned her head to the man who saved her.

"Do you remember anything?" With her brows furrowed, she shook her head no.

"I'll call the doctor." She just stayed in bed and waited. Trying to recall what happened.

"Hello. I'm Dr. Lee. You're hyerae right?" Hyerae winced at the sound of her name.

"Can you sit up?" Hyerae nodded and the doctor helped her up.

"Can you tell me what happened?" Her brows furrowed and told him about her mother's death and her abusive father and a brother she needs to protect.

"What's your brother's name?" Her ears rang. She shook her head.

"It's ok. You're safe now." The doctor assured her and hyerae's tears welled up.

The doctor excused himself to talk with the guy and told him about hyerae's condition.

"I believe she's in a trauma. She winces at her name so you might need to give her a new one. She also seems to forget her brother's name thinking it will save him from harm." The doctor worriedly glanced over to her young patient.

"Thank you. I'll see what I can do." Mr. Park shook hands with the doctor and decided to adopt the girl her rescued.

"Hi." Hyerae looked up to the man and instinctively flinched.

"I'm mr. Park. Don't worry, I won't hurt you." His words were gentle and soothing.

"Hello." A timid reply escaped her lips.

"From now on, you'll be my daughter ok? Your name will be park hanbyul." He smiled.

"Hanbyul." Little hyerae tried it out and smiled, nodding.

She got discharged that morning and they went home to her new house where her new mom and a brother is waiting.

"Come on, don't be shy." Hyerae peeked from her father's back, clutching on his shirt tightly.

"Look at you! You must be hye–hanbyul." Mrs. Park immediately corrected herself.

"Come here, love" mrs. Park knelt down and opened her arms warmly. Hyerae can't help but run up and hug her.

"Oh you poor thing." Mrs. Park felt crying for what happened to the little girl as she caressed her hair.

"You'll be ok now. We're a family now." Hyerae was grateful to have found a new warm home.


6 years later

"Yah hanbyul! Hurry up you slowpoke!" Hanbyul grumbled over to her younger brother's constant nagging.

"Okay okay, sheesh. What are you so excited about? Last time I checked you despise going to school." Jisung mocked her to which she just rolled her eyes to.

"Yeah but if I want to be a respectable sunbae, I should not show my tardiness to the new kids aye?" He wiggled his brows making hanbyul scoff at his direction

"You're targetting freshmen now?"

"As you said, they're fresh." He grinned and hanbyul just scrunched up her nose in disgust.

"That's why I hate boys!"

"Including me?" Mark popped up with a smile, making her stop on her tracks.

"Still not giving up?" She raised a brow at him.

"Nope." He said, popping the p. The boy had been courting her since their 7th grade until now that they're on their 9th grade. She thought he'll stop after multiple rejections from her but the guy's persistent.

"I'll go on ahead!" Jisung ran up to the streets leaving the two. Their houses are only ten-minute walk away from their school.

"I wonder how he's doing..." hanbyul muttered, staring into jisung's back.

"Still can't remeber his name?" Hanbyul say shook her head.

"I know it'll ring familiar if I heard it or maybe if I see him again. Who knows when that will be." Everytime she tried to focus and remember her biolilogical brother, her head would ache so much until she passes out.

"He'll be a freshman now too huh." Mark nodded to himself. He was not only hanbyul's avid admirer, he was also her closest friend eventhough he says he's not cause he refuses to be just that.

"Hey, don't force yourself. You will eventually remember." He held her hand and caressed the back of it with his thumb.

"It's been 6 years. He must've forgotten me. He might've despised thinking I abandoned him." Mark stepped infront of her and raised her chin

"It'll be ok. I'll help you find him." Hanbyul's eyes squinted at him

"Now you're just taking advantage of my fragile heart."

"Is it working?"

"No." Hanbyul deadpanned.

"Darn! That was so close!" He laughed and she laughed along with him.

"Race you to the room!" he yelled, running away with her bag.

"No fair!" She yelled back and ran after him, laughing.