Chapter III

Coward

Few days has passed since the wedding ceremony and here we are gather around at the newlywed`s new house. They decide to buy a house, instead of living in apartment as it will be more convenient to have friends or family over, because we can stay over if we want.

 

We talk a lot, catching up with each other, talking about things that happened while I was gone. I found out that Yoohyeon and Yoobin is now dating. They say that Yoobin is so nervous and she almost cry when Yoohyeon just stand there stunt by her confession. I wish I can be there to witness our crybaby Yoobin confessing.

 

We continued to chat until late night when we decide to go home. I went home to my new apartment, I moved in a few days ago. That’s when I realize that she is heading to the same way as me. Handong. That’s her name, the name of my love, that I hurt 5 years ago because I was stupid and coward. I arrive at my apartment building and while waiting for the elevator to come I turn to my right because I feel someone staying there only to meet her eyes. And there I know, we live in the same apartment building, head up and we stay just beside each other. Is god playing with me? Or he want to punish me? She smiled a very sweet smile to me and went inside her lot.

 

It`s 3 in the morning and I cannot sleep at all. I lay down staring at the ceiling thinking about her smile. Been 5 years and the way she smile never failed to make me fall. I head out to the balcony to smoke, giving up sleeping, when I suddenly hear someone asking me,

“Since when did you smoke?”.

“Ah, you awake? Its almost 4. Get inside it`s cold outside”

“You didn’t answer me. Since when do you smoke?”

“Been a while since I smoke.” I answered while looking far away.

“Why?” She asked. That’s one question that I don’t know how to answer. So I just say “I wonder why?” And we stay quite for a while.

“I miss you. And I`m glad you came back.” She said almost like a whisper. But I still heard it. “Me too. And I am sorry.” I said.

“So.. You are really coming back and staying this time? Please tell me you are.”

“I am. My uncle is getting old that I have to take over what I left behind 5 years ago.”

“Ohh. That`s good.” And another silent moment.

 

“Anyway, how`s life, Dong-ah.”

“Nothing`s special, I work as a fashion designer and I have my own shop. So I mostly stay at home or hang out with Siyeon. She finally fulfilled her dream to become a photographer.” She replied while smiling. I`m glad that she is doing well.

“Ohh? She is a photographer now? That’s a good thing. I still remember her crying over the camera that her dad broke.”

“Yeah.. Her dad never agreed on this one. But now he is fine and happy that Siyeon is doing well on her own.” I just nod. “How about you?”

I hummed. “I help my uncle from another branch in Europe. Other than that, boring life. I didn’t go out much.”

“Don’t you date someone? I mean, it must be boring to just work. At least tell me you are meeting someone.” She said.

“Unfortunately, no I don’t.”

“Is it because what happened 5 years ago? You know that we can just move on with our life and not let that affect us.”

“I know, I just can’t. Did you?” She look at with a confuse look. “Moved on.” I continued. “Are you happy?” I asked again.

“Maybe.” She answered with a smile looking at the sky.

“Ohh? Mean that you are not really happy huh. Did she hurt you or?”

“She sure did, because she is…