Chapter 5

When A Heart Is Broken

“Yah, Park Kyung, are you outside?” I said through the phone.

“Yeah. Why? Did something happen?”

“Nah. I just don’t feel like dealing right now. Can we hang out?”

“Don’t you have homework?”

“What do you care?”

A sigh came from the other end. “Fine.”

I cheered and hung up the phone before grabbing my bag. It took me a moment to spot him but I entered the car without a hassle.

“You know, you should be going to class,” Kyung said.

“Oh, what do you care?”

“I’m just saying that boss won’t be happy about you changing your plans because you’re still messed up over lover boy.”

I rolled my eyes. “First of all, his name is Yong Guk. And why is everyone like that about me and Jiho? Jiho doesn’t run me.”

“We all know that you and Zico would be together if it wasn’t for the whole drugs and gang ,” Kyung said with a sideways glance at me. “Where am I taking you exactly?”

“The mall,” I replied. “You’re being very casual about business.”

“It’s not like you don’t know everything.”

“How do you know being with Yong Guk hasn’t turned me into a snitch?” I asked. “This whole break up could be an elaborate plot for me to collect information on you guys.”

Kyung gave me a look as he sped through a yellow light. “You wouldn’t do that to us over lover boy.”

“What makes you say that? Lots has changed.”

“You didn’t snitch about Taewoon.”

Both of us went silent. Even the radio, which had just been blasting a soft drink ad, went momentarily quiet. And then Kyung, who could never let things stay too quiet for too long, picked up the conversation again.

“Did lover boy really change you that much?”

“His name is—”

“Why do you keep correcting me like I really give a damn?”

I sighed. “Yong Guk is a good guy.”

“Not that good if he ed your best friend,” Kyung interjected.

“Will you let me talk?” I glared at him.

He grinned but let me continue.

“Like I said, Yong Guk is a good guy. Like, impossibly good. The type of kid that mentors kids and does volunteer work and still has time to do his homework and get decent grades. I still have no idea how he does it all. Hell, he visits his parents on the weekend and his sister once a week. Oh, and he’s a twin.”

“You’re ing kidding me.”

“I wish. I met his brother once or twice. He’s a lot more chill. But anyway, Yong Guk does all this stuff and you can’t help but get caught up in it. You know, last year we didn’t buy each other gifts for any holiday? No Valentine’s Day or Christmas or even birthday presents.”

Kyung came to a full stop and the driver behind us laid on the horn. Kyung flipped the guy the bird before driving off again. “What the ? What’s wrong with him?”

“Instead of spending money on each other, he wanted to use that money to donate to UNICEF. Oh, and he sponsors a couple of kids in Africa.”

“You’ve gotta be ting me,” Kyung said as he turned into the mall parking lot. For the middle of the morning of a school day there were more cars than I anticipated. “You went for the exact opposite of Zico.”

“You could say that,” I agreed.

“And you went along with that?”

I shrugged. “Yeah.”

Kyung parked the car and we sat there for a moment. “Why?”

“It didn’t seem like a big deal. It made him happy.”

“That’s all?”

I got out the car. “Well, I dressed differently too, but that’s not a big deal.”

“So you’ve said.”

We walked into the mall and immediately were assaulted by the scent of fried cheese and hot sugar. Every stall in the food court was preparing for lunch and everything was hot and fresh and I suddenly remembered that I hadn’t eaten breakfast.

“Let me guess,” Kyung said, picking up the conversation, “you dressed all preppy and girly with pink and your hair up?’

I pushed him in response and he laughed.

“That takes me back.”

“Don’t start, Kyung,” I warned but I could tell he was already warmed up.

“Come on, Lita,” he said. “Before we let you hang out with us you were dorky and a little sad in the fashion department.”

Let me?”

“That’s what I said.”

Kyung’s phone went off before we could really get into it. He glanced at the caller ID, the up at me. “That’s the boss. I gotta take this.”

I pointed at the nearest store, which happened to be a music shop. “I’m going in here.”

He’d already walked off with the phone to his ear so I walked into the store. The clerk at the register barely acknowledged my entrance, which was fine by me. I made my way through the rows, picking up random albums with interesting covers and waiting for Kyung to show up.

There were DVDs in a corner of the store and I lost track of time in a wave of nostalgia. While I was examining a box set of an anime series when a pair of hands s around my waist. Without jumping or setting down the box, I addressed the phantom very calmly,

“I have three small knives on my body right now. If you don’t take your hands off me right now, I’ll make sure you find out where each of them is hidden.”

A voice very near to my ear whispered, “Why don’t you let me search you and find them for myself?”

I elbowed Jiho in the ribs. “ert.” I turned to face him. “What are you doing here? Where’s Kyung?”

Jiho laughed at my annoyed look. “I needed him to do a job for me,” he said. “You don’t want to hang out with me? You’d rather be with Park Kyung than me? I thought we were friends.”

I rolled my eyes so hard they almost got stuck. “You’re so full of .”

“But you love it.”

“I’m not dignifying that with a response.”

“Let’s get out of here.” Jiho grabbed my hand and pulled me out the store and towards the heart of the mall. Usually Jiho wasn’t touchy feely, so having him hold my hand was weird. Too weird. I let go as soon as he slowed down.

“What’s with you today?” I asked.

“I’m just in a good mood,” he replied. “So what are you doing here instead of being in class? This isn’t how a good girl behaves,” he added mockingly.

“Who said I’m a good girl?” I shot back.

“Just because you’re acting out to get lover boy’s attention doesn’t mean you’re not a good girl,” he replied. Then he mumbled something under his breath. “Anyway, what do you want? I’ll get you anything.”

“Ahh,” I said, nodding my head. “So that’s it.”

“What?”

“You had some deal go through.”

“Something like that,” Jiho said.

“How’s the new kid?” I asked, falling into step next to him.

Jiho glanced around before answering. “Fidgety. Still too new to trust just yet and why are you so loud? I just offered you a shopping spree and you’re asking about work? Damn, you’re irritating.”

“Oh shut up Jiho. I’m just trying some small talk until I figure out what I want.”

“Well while you’re thinking, let’s go in here.”

He stopped and pointed into a lingerie store.

“Why the are we going in there?”

“I wanna see you in something y.”

I raised an eyebrow at him. “You’re serious.”

“Yes.”

“Fine.”

When Jiho got like this it was much easier to go along with it than to fight him. At least this time there wasn’t a potential for a fight.

The girl at the counter was more than happy to have a couple of customers. She came running up to Jiho with a wide smile, which he of course returned. In minutes he had me waiting in a fitting room while the two of them picked out things for me to try on. He came back to the room with teddys and baby dolls in black and red and various shades of blue.

“Why am I doing this again?”

“Because I haven’t seen that in a while,” Jiho deadpanned. “This one first.” He handed me a black, strappy, lacy number.

“Fine but get out.”

“Why?” he asked. “It’s not like I haven’t seen you before.”

“Not the point.”

“Are you blushing, Lita?”

I pushed him out the fitting room while he laughed at me. Yeah, I was blushing but he didn’t have to bring that up. Stupid, Jiho. I struggled to get undressed, then struggled to make sense of the straps on the shoulders. Finally, I was tucked and secured into place and…

Dammit, Jiho actually had some really good taste. And I looked really good. And oh , I was gonna have to walk out there with only these small scraps of fabric and show him.

“Don’t make me come in there,” Jiho called.

“I’m coming.”

I walked out and Jiho cocked his head to the side. He blinked slowly. He shook his head then stared at me some more.

“Say something,” I nearly shouted at him.

“Damn.”

That made me laugh and my nervousness disappeared. Then I saw him take his phone out his pocket. “Oh, hell no. No pics.”

“I’m not gonna show anybody,” he said, already snapping away.

“Liar.”

His eyes flicked up to mine. “You know that’s not true,” he said seriously.

I looked away. “I’m…gonna go change.”

“You need some help?”

I walked away without answering and he laughed at me. I swear, he was having way too much fun with this. Then again, it was kind of nice. Jiho was always busy. He had been for years now. Things like this – simply hanging out together – hadn’t happened for a long time. It was nice to just have my friend around again.

As I struggled with another strappy thing, I heard a phone ring from the waiting area. Jiho’s voice answered so I continued to adjust the straps. Then I noticed his tone and cautiously stepped out of the fitting room.

“What’s up?” I mouthed, pointing to the phone. Then I realized my purse was open and it was my phone he was holding. I held my hand out for it but he shook his head.

“No, Lita’s fine. She’s a little tied up at the moment. What are you calling her for anyway?”

Oh . It’s Yong Guk. Jiho’s voice was lower than usual and he had one knee crossed over the other in his seat.

“Is that really any of your business?” he asked.

“Give me the phone, Jiho,” I said.

He glared at me, then relented. “Fine.”

He handed me the phone but not before loudly saying, “Your looks hot in that.”

If I could have strangled him I would. I settled for rolling my eyes at him and answering the phone. “Hello?”

“Lita?” Yong Guk’s voice sounded scratchy. He was pissed. “Where are you? You weren’t in class today.”

“It doesn’t matter where I am,” I replied.

“Why is that guy answering your phone?”

“Again, that doesn’t matter. What do you want Yong Guk. Why are you calling me?”

“I want to talk to you, Lita. Work things out,” he said. “You and I are good together. I know I made a mistake but if you just give me a chance I know you’ll see reason. Just stop with the acting out, okay?”

“Excuse me?” I screeched. Jiho’s head snapped up and he snatched the phone, pressing the speaker button. “I’m not acting out.”

“Then what’s with the skipping class and this guy you’re hanging out with? And Himchan said some thug looking guy was driving your car the other day. I know I hurt you and I’m sorry but you don’t have to do these things.”

“Baby, don’t you have something else to show me?” Jiho called. “Are you ignoring me for that loser that cheated on you?”

“What did he say? Lita, are you actually with that ? Are you really giving up on us?”

I looked at Jiho, smirking on the couch, and down at the phone in my hand. Guys are exhausting, I thought, but Yong Guk’s comments had pissed me all the way off and Jiho was…Jiho.

“I’ve gotta go,” I said, and swiped the phone off before Yong Guk could say anything else.

“That guy’s a ,” Jiho said.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” I replied. “I’d rather talk about you and your obsession with straps and belts on lingerie. Do you have some kind of that I don’t know about?”

“As a matter of fact, I do. You would look beautiful dangling above desk by leather straps. When do you want to give it a try?’

“Maybe after lunch? I’m starving.”

Jiho’s smirk faded. “You’re covered in satin and your is hanging out. Don’t say things you don’t mean or I might make you eat your words.”

I strode over to his seat and I sat down in his lap. Leaning over, I got close to his ear and whispered. “I’d like to see you try.”

When I leaned back, he caught me by the shoulder and we were stuck close together. From the corner of my eye I saw movement and the sales girl cautiously walked up.

“Um…I’m sorry to interrupt but…um… you can’t—”

“Hey, can you take a picture of us?” Jiho asked her.

“Huh?” she asked.

“What are you doing?” I asked at the same time.

“You’ll see,” he told me, handing her my phone. He was always so cavalier with other people’s possessions.

The girl took the picture, I changed, and Jiho bought me both sets of lingerie. We walked to the food court where Kyung met us. He eyed the bag I was holding but thankfully didn’t comment.

My phone, however, buzzed in my pocket the entire time I tried to eat my lunch. Eventually, I had to turn it off but not before seeing the dozen text messages from Yong Guk that had come through. Damn, Jiho had really set him off.

“Is that lover boy?” Kyung asked.

“His name is—”

“Don’t care,” he cut me off.

I sighed. “Yeah. Jiho was messing with him while we were in the shop.”

“Damn, boss. What’d you go and do that for?”

Jiho shook his head, that stupid smirk on his face. “He broke Lita’s heart. The bastard has to suffer.” He looked at me. “By the way, don’t forget to send him that pic.”

“Which one?”

“Let me see,” Kyung in.

“The last one. Of the two of us,” Jiho said, ignoring his friend. “It’ll drive him ing crazy.”

“You’re evil, Ji,” I said.

“But you love me anyway.”