JIAE

Summer Breeze
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

July, 2019

I slouched in the front seat of the car, wondering why on earth my mom and dad hated me so much.

It was the only thing that could explain why I was here visiting my dad in our old beach house in Daegu instead of spending my time with my friends back home in Seoul.

Wait, Im not visiting my dad because visiting only implied a weekend or two or maybe even a week. But Im not just visiting. Im staying in Daegu until late August. In short for the whole summer. I couldnt believe my mom was actually going to make me go through with this.

I was enveloped in the misery, it took me a second to recognize Mozart's Sonata no. 16 in C Major is playing. I immediately turn it off. I know my mom played it while I was sleeping. I hate hearing some piano piece playing. 

"Why did you turn it off?" Mom asked me while frowning. "I like hearing you play."

I just rolled my eyes to her. "Well I don't."

She just chuckled and continue driving. "How about let's turn the volume down."

"Just stop it mom. Im not in the mood." I say and stared at the window and look at the road and it screams boringness. I snapped my gum and I know my mom hated that. Even though my mom really annoyed me everytime, she wasn't the worst mom. She really wasn't.

I wish I was been born in May instead of August so that I will be eighteen already and my mom wouldn't force me to do anything. I could make my own decision and coming this trip on this summer wasn't on my to-do list.

But right now, Im still seventeen and I have no choice. No matter how fiercely I had begged or complained or screamed or whined about the summer plan, she wouldn't change her decision. Me and my brother Bomin will be spending our summer with my dad.

Just off the bridge, summer traffic had slowed the line of cars to a crawl. I look at the other side, between the houses, I could see the glimpse of the ocean. Yippee. Like I supposed to care.

"Why are you making us to do this again?" I asked my mom as I groaned.

"You need to spend more time with your dad. He misses you."

"But why all summer? Couldn't it just be for a couple of weeks?"

"You need more than a couple of weeks together. You haven't seen him in three years."

"That's not my fault. He is the one who left."

I rolled my eyes. Since my mom and dad decided to broke up and divorced, I divert myself to him. Because I hate why dad need to left us and abandoned us. We were one of the happiest family back then but I didn't expect that we will torn apart.

"But you didn't take this calls. And everytime he came to Seoul to see you and Bomin, you ignored him and hung out with your friends."

I snapped my gum again. From the corner of my eyes I could see how annoyed my mom is right now.

"I don't want to see or talk to him anymore." I said. 

"Just try to make the best of it okay? Your father is a good man and he loves you. I know you know that Jiae."

"Is that why he walked out on us?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter