Funny Words

The Monstrous World We Live In

A/N: The story will continue in third-person perspective. 

The car door opened and Myungsoo was greeted by a smiling Yesung. “Good evening, boss. I’m sorry to inconvenience you but we have to change locations. Would you do me the honor of joining me in my car? I would be delighted for your company. Your men can follow behind, of course.”

Without another thought, Myungsoo simply exited his car and slid into the waiting black one in front. Yesung smiled and also climbed into the back. This is too easy. What a gullible brat.

“If my father was killed by someone he considered a friend, even a cold man like him would be quite sad.”

Yesung shifted uncomfortably and glanced at the calm boy next to him. “Now is not the time to be thinking of such things. We have other important matters to discuss soon.” The car abruptly stopped and he sighed a little in relief.

Myungsoo stepped out, unsurprised that his own men were not behind him. He was not even startled to see that he stood on blackened ground, tainted by ashes clumped together like dirtied snowballs; this was where his old home once stood. Instead, he felt a little bitter; that smartass was sure to rub her triumph in his face.

An orange-haired man in a white suit laughed. He the jewels on his hands and the diamond encrusted watch on his wrist appreciatively.  Leeteuk, Myungsoo scowled.

“Boy, you definitely act like the Dragons’ boss. From that stony expression of yours, I would’ve thought you were looking at a simple paper cut.” Yesung withdrew his gun and pointed it to the back of Myungsoo’s head. “It’s nothing personal but the Blood Angels have to be the head gang in this area. If it makes you feel any better, if you were in another district, I would have left you alone.”

Myungsoo didn’t flinch. “Yesung, if you and your men betray me, will you accept the consequences?”

His question was met with a smile. “Be sure to give my thanks to your parents. They were much quieter than you in their last moments.” The slide on the gun was released. “I’m even considerate enough to let Shin Yuseon join you so you won’t be lonely.” At the mention of her name, Myungsoo twitched and kicked Yesung back. 

“I want him dead! Now!” Leeteuk ordered.

“No!” someone suddenly screamed. Everyone looked around for the source of the outburst when Myungsoo caught a glimpse of something silver running past him. A woman wielding a long metal staff cannoned herself into the group of Blood Angels. She dodged each attack and successfully struck each of her targets. Backup, led by Dongwoo, arrived and assisted her. Soon, the enemy was on the ground, eyes closed but still alive.

That woman, Yesung thought, is on the Dragons’ side?

Meanwhile, Leeteuk had fled with the few men left, abandoning Yesung and his group of traitors.

“Boss! Are you alright?” Dongwoo asked, running up to his friend.

Myungsoo didn’t move and only stared at the woman in front of him. She looks… good… He felt his cheeks getting hotter. Yuseon, however, was thinking of something entirely different. He’s probably making snide remarks in his head, that bastard.

“Boss? Boss?” he started to hear. “Boss! What should we do with Yesung?”

----------

“I thought boss alone was daunting but him and that police brat…” Woohyun said, shaking his head. Sungyeol simply laughed in glee at the memory. Both still couldn’t believe that the new bodyguard was a girl though but they promised to keep it a secret.

They were with Dongwoo in the private hospital section of the Kim manor. For killing their parents, the traitor was subjected to the vengeful terrors of both Myungsoo and Yuseon at once, relentless and merciless. Yesung was covered in casts, bandages and stitches—he would live the rest of his life in this painful way, no anesthetics allowed. Myungsoo was determined to keep him with the Dragons; the luxury of leaving was not an option. The Red Dragons members who were also disloyal were currently in the hands of a few Black Dragons members. Their fates depended on how long it would take for their punishers to calm down, which would be… never.

Simultaneously, Yuseon—who had changed back into her boy clothes before anyone could recognize her—was jumping up and down as she followed Myungsoo around the house, delighted in the development of their friendship. She reenacted the fighting scenes, yelling out screams of “Yah!” and “Take that!” as she narrated how they had worked together to take down the enemy. He just listened and walked quietly.

“You know, you could at least smile or something. I know it’s not you but you finally found the guy that killed your parents,” she encouraged.

“I can’t believe even now you’re like this,” Myungsoo commented.

“What?”

“I’ve noticed, from the very first day we had class together, that you never could stay still after you accomplished something. Always moving around, fidgeting and spazzing like a puppy… gave me headaches.”

“You may talk like an old man but you’re still only eighteen,” she said, sticking her tongue out at him.

“And you’re an eighteen-year-old who can’t swim.”

She ran in front of him, blocking his path. “How do you know about that?” she asked, suspicion evident in her eyes.

He leaned down and poked her forehead. “Who do you think saved you when you were drowning those many years ago?”

She had known it was a classmate but everything was too hazy. Because no rumors of her real gender surfaced in the days after the incident, all worries were forgotten and the identity of her rescuer became insignificant.

“Otherwise I wouldn’t have known you were a girl,” Myungsoo added.

If he really was the one that had jumped into the pool, dragged her out and resuscitated her, then in a way, this cold boy in front of her did not betray her once. Loyalty, it seemed, was his one trait she had to admire.

She shook the thoughts away. “Anyways, I found the guy. There’s no need for me to work for an age-impaired blockhead like you anymore. Give me back my brothers; we’re leaving.”

He nodded and unlocked the door to their bedroom, where she was tackled by her brothers’ hugs and cries of worry.

“You’re free to leave. Just pay this first,” he said, handing her a long and detailed bill.

“What is it?”

Myungsoo jerked his head towards the three Shin siblings who were avoiding eye contact. “That’s all of the things they ate while they were staying here.”

She looked at the paper again and almost collapsed from the numbers. “25,00 won for a glass of water? 40,000 won for a bun? What kind of scam are you running?” She flipped to the back and searched for the total. “10,008,709 won? We don’t have that kind of money!”

She immediately lashed out on her family. “You idiots! You were prisoners! How can you just go and freely enjoy yourselves like that! Have you no sense of caution?!”

“There is one way to solve this,” Myungsoo interrupted. “Pay with your body.”

Dongwoo had walked in just then. This is why I shouldn’t leave him alone.

“Fine! I’ll continue being your bodyguard!”

I don’t think that’s what he meant, the brothers thought, facepalming.

What a funny word for friend. Dongwoo smiled.