With Hopes Comes The Pain

The Monstrous World We Live In

-Third-person P.O.V.-

“Boss, are you okay? Even when someone clings to you and begs, you’ve never once relented.”

“It’s just an agreement,” Myungsoo objected.

But that wasn’t true; memories of the funeral had suddenly resurfaced in his thoughts. He was kneeling beside his parents, desperate to hold onto his mother’s hand, to see his father’s approving eyes once again.

“Young boss,” someone called out behind him.

His hand, which was about to reach out, slowly withdrew itself back into his lap. Please come back…

When he saw Yuseon’s face, his worry over his brothers, he knew he couldn’t hurt any of them any further. He had known about the Shins’ deaths; he didn’t want to be the one to increase the body count. Their wounds, like his own, were still too fresh. The things I do… I don’t feel like myself.

“Greetings, boss,” several members bowed as he walked to his office.

“I heard about the new bodyguard,” a man confronted him right as he stepped inside, leaving him no chance to even breathe. It was Yesung, second-in-command of the Red Dragons and one of the main sources for intelligence for the gang.

But Myungsoo just scoffed. “That’s my business. Learn to deal with your own first.”

“But how can you let an immature brat like him watch over you?!” Yesung shifted uncomfortably at the thought of a stranger with such a high position. “Don’t tell me that you’ve become weak-minded.”

Myungsoo picked up a dart, examined it and threw it without warning. Luckily, Yesung ducked in time. He glanced behind him at the space his head had just occupied; there was a dart board and it was an unquestionable bulls-eye. “If you want to engage in meaningless conversation, please do so with the trashcans outside. I suggest you stay clear of the one located in the east wing though; one of the guards had a little too much to drink.”

Yesung knew better than to even glare; he excused himself and hurried back to his car before he could make the mistake of angering the young boss. One day, there won’t be a young boss…

Dongwoo knocked before entering, his face evident with his intentions.

Myungsoo groaned. “Are you also here to pester me regarding my decision with Yuseon-sshi?”

His friend sheepishly nodded. “It’s just strange. At first, you claimed that you didn’t even want to bother with such a person and now you’ve made him your personal bodyguard. You do understand what this means, right? This is someone that you’ll have to see every day from dawn until night.”

“It can’t be helped; I need someone to protect me when the time comes.”

“But how can such a scrawny—”

“He may be a twig but he knows how to fight. Don’t forget that. Now leave me alone; I have to study for my test.”

“One more thing, boss. Actually, two more.”

Myungsoo looked expectantly.

“About that… school, I mean. I did a background check and it says that he’s no longer attending Seoul Science.”

“I am already aware of that.”

“How will he protect you if he’s not allowed inside? Just having the uniform will not do.” Dongwoo was right; the school’s security system forced every student to scan their I.D. card upon entering; such a card was to be promptly returned upon unrolling or graduating from the school. It was difficult enough persuading the principal to allow Dongwoo, Sungyeol and Woohyun to accompany him even though they weren’t students; they would not be able to pull the same stunt for Yuseon, no matter how much he would "donate". 

“Then, I’ll leave that up to you.”

“An enrollment application shall be filled out promptly.”

“And your other question?”

Dongwoo suddenly became grave. “It’s about Leeteuk.”

At the mention of an enemy’s name, Myungsoo placed his pencil down and moved his schoolwork aside. Leeteuk was the head of the Blood Angels, a rivalry gang for over a century. 

“Only he and his men have the skills needed to get past the bodyguards on duty that night. In addition, he’s been after your father’s spot for years now.”

“I’ve considered the possibility.”

“But…” Dongwoo knew there was more to the explanation.

“But Yesung told me he didn’t do it. He knows for sure that Leeteuk wasn’t involved.”

Dongwoo leaned back. “I guess that leads us back to square one. I’ll leave your to your studies now, boss. Good night."

After his right-hand man left the room, Myungsoo sighed and returned to his textbook. Although he appeared indifferent towards his schoolwork, he refused to allow the Twisting Dragons to be guided by an uneducated and ignorant leader. As he effortlessly sped through the pages of his physics book, he finally realized that, for better or worse, Yuseon would be returning to school tomorrow. The only classmate that he had seen year after year—he must’ve done something horrific in his past life to deserve that misfortune—would once again be by his side.

He picked up his phone and dialed the number one on his phone, waiting for the other line to connect. “Dongwoo, please prepare a backpack with some notebooks. Oh and find copies of the same textbooks as mine.” He could hear his friend’s smile in his reply, but he dismissed it. “I need for him to blend in, of course. You can’t be a student without those things.”

He hung up and returned to his equations, satisfied that he had not missed any other important details.

On another floor of the mansion, Woohyun and Sungyeol stood guarding the bedrooms of their new “guests”. They were currently playing a game of dibi dibi dip*, although that didn’t bode too well since they knew exactly what the other was thinking. Woohyun was one step ahead of Sungyeol, who was one step ahead of Woohyun, who was one step ahead of Sungyeol, who was one step ahead… and so, their cycle never ended, both forever fated to mirror each other’s actions. They didn’t mind the tie though; it gave them an excuse to turn the hand game into a fist fight.

They were about to play another round when they heard audible sounds coming from Yuseon’s room.

“Mommy… Daddy… please tell me what to do. I’m scared; you told me to always be brave but I’m scared. What if I can’t find the murderer? What will happen to Sunggyu- and Hoya-hyung and Sungjongie? It’s my fault we’re in this mess but please, tell me how to get out of it. I just want to go home. Mom! Dad! Please… come back! Come back and take us home…”

Woohyun and Sungyeol glanced at each other; they could feel their hearts clenching. They knew what it was like to yearn for a parent’s embrace of warmth and safety. They had dreamt of it every night for the past fifteen years. To hear the words, “my son” would be enough. Together these brothers clung onto an impossible fantasy; they wanted the love they didn’t even remember and knew they would never receive again.

But it didn’t hurt to hope.

----------

*A video explaining “dibi dibi dip” and other handgames by Simon and Martina:
http://youtu.be/50VoWgkLGiA