New Life

The Girl In The Painting


Hiichan's POV
     I stared at the unfamiliar buildings we passed by, it was pretty much just the same as the old town I used to live in, just with different directions and names. It's my first time being here, obviously different people will be here but I'm guessing they won't be treating me differently from the people in the place I've lived before.

 

     "Uhhh. They'll probably just get you after school, Hiichan. I'm sure they just want you to graduate here since you're in your last year.", my cousin said to cut off the awkward silence in the car while she was driving.

 

  
     I stared at her,  nodded slightly and then went back to staring outside the car's window. I doubt that what she said about my family was actually true.

 

      "You know? I feel like you're Grandma's favorite.", she spoke again after a while. She stared at me for a while and sent me a glare jokingly before looking back at the road.

 

     "Eh?", it was the only response I could give but I could feel her smile as I finally started to speak.

 

     "Yeah. I feel like I was a loooot closer to her but you know what she said before leaving this world, she said she'd like you to be the one to stay in her room. I honestly felt a bit hurt because I was the one who has been living with her since I was born.", she feigned hurt and chuckled.

 

     "Why me though? I didn't think we were that close.", my voice wasn't really that loud but I think she heard me. I stared at her curiously.

 

     "I don't know either. She doesn't even let anyone enter her room but she let you keep it.", she replied.

 

I just kept quiet again, still curious why I was the one my Grandma gave the room to. It was silent again.

 

     "Aish screw it, Hiichan. It's really awkward and silent, can I turn on the music?", she turned it on before I could even reply. Oh God, no.

 

      "Unnie, do-", I was cut off by the music.

 

     "Are you ready for this?", the girl from the speaker asked. I've heard this a thousand times already, Unnie has been blaring this out from her speaker since this was released. She's gonna play it all over again.

 

     "ZIMZALABIIIM!", this time, it wasn't just from the speaker. She started singing or screaming rather along to the song. Oh gosh, she started dancing to it, too.
I covered my ears and closed my eyes tightly. I laid my back on the car's seat. This was already a long ride, now it's gonna get longer because of her.

 

     I couldn't get mad at her though, I feel like we've gotten closer again, just like when we were kids. I smiled as I opened my eyes and saw my weird cousin, Sakura unnie, dancing weirdly even when she was holding the steering wheel. Her voice wasn't any better. I hope Grandma's house is near. Please let this ride end.

 

---

 

     "YES! FINALLY. WE'RE HOME!", Sakura unnie said as she put down my luggage.

 


     "My goodies. I miss them!", she said before running who knows where.

 

     Okay, she must've forgotten that it's my first time here. I stared at interior of the house, as expected, it's really old but it was unexpectedly very big and clean. The house was made of wood but every thing screamed expensive. When I stared at it outside, I thought it would be very old but the inside's very different. I started to look around.

 

     Right at the middle, you could see this very big stairs leading up to the second floor. Woah, there's even a chandelier, a very big one, still made out of wood. When you look to the right, you could see the living room and on the right were glass doors, leading to a garden.

 

     "Oh right, Hiichan. I forgot about you. Let me show you to your room.", I heard her say as I saw her running down the stairs before carrying my luggage for me. She smiled sheepishly, as if saying sorry.

 

---

 

     "Here's Grandma's room.", Unnie put my luggage down. I stared at it in awe. It's the biggest room I've seen here. There was something off though. Something very big at the right was covered by a big piece of cloth.

 

     "Yup, I know. It's big, right? And she gave it to you and not me", she said jokingly and sat at the edge of the bed. She pointed at the door on the left.

 

     "That's the bathroom.", she said before standing up and then going to the other door at the right of the room.

 

     "Now, this is where Grandma's babies are kept. You know she has a huge thing for paintings, right?", she asked me before opening the door.

 

     "EEEHHH?", I said in shock. This room is probably bigger than Grandma's. It was more like longer actually. It had this rectangular sit at the middle, and all over the walls were paintings. It was like an art gallery.

 

     I saw how Sakura unnie was shocked too. And it's not because of the paintings.

 

     "Didn't know you could actually make your voice's volume go higher, Hiichan.", she said while her hand covered and her eyes were wide. She then laughed. I don't know why.

 

     "Your voice is so cute, just like when we were young. I feel like you still haven't grown up. Your height hasn't changed at all, now I know that your even your voice hasn't.", she said and laughed again.

 

     "Unnie.", I said as I glared at her. She stopped laughing immediately.

 

     "Hey, chill. I'm sorry. I just want you to speak more, just like old times.", she said as she put her hand on my shoulder and smiled.

 

     "I'm gonna cook my special recipe for you, so you can just look around or whatever.", she said and went out the art room but before leaving completely, she said something while holding the side of the door and while only her head is visible to me.

 

     "Oh and by the way, don't be scared. I mean, it's not like Grandma died here or like a lot of other people did since this house has been here for generations.", she grinned and ran away while laughing.

 

     "But she did though? Wait. What? UNNIE!", I said but it was too late, she already left. I suddenly felt cold air brush past me. I'm scared.

 

     I was curious though so I stayed and I stared at all the paintings. Most of them were landscapes. There was this park with a river next to it. There was also an amusement park. One was even inside a classroom and one was at a restaurant. There were much more paintings but I've noticed something,

 

Not a single painting had people in it.

 

---

 

     I did not expect Kkura Unnie to be good at cooking, seriously whatever this bread thingy with these stuff in the center is very good. I stared at her, my dorky and game-addict cousin could really be a chef with her skills.

 

     "Why? Why are you staring at me like that? You look like you're judging me.", she said as she was about to put the food in .

 

     I just shrugged and continued eating.

 

     "Uhm. Hiichan? Don't you wanna check out your new school? It's pretty near, probably just a seven-minute walk.", she awkwardly said, knowing I won't like the topic. School.

 

     Studying is not the problem. It's the people I study with and I honestly don't wanna talk about it right now so I kept silent and continued to eat my food. She laughed awkwardly.

 

     "There's also this bakery on the way there.", she tried to look at my response unconspicuously. My ears perked up at the mention of a bakery.

 

"Where?", I asked her.

 

---

 

     I wet my lips as I exited the bakery.. I had a paper bag in my right hand and a cup of iced coffee on the other. The paper bag was warm because of what's inside. I could smell what I bought and it's making me hungrier and more excited.

 

     I continued walking to the direction of our new home. I was really happy but someone really had to ruin my day. It happened so quickly, a moment ago, I still had my food and drink in my hands but now coffee was spilled all over my shirt and pants, even on my shoes. What's worse was what happened to my bread. It was all over the floor, dirty, ruined and under the left foot of the person who accidentally bumped on to me.

 

     I didn't even bother to stand up and I continued to stare at it as I felt my anger rising but my sadness overcoming it. My poor bread.

 

     "Oh shi-... I'm sorry, Cheeks. I really am but I have to run quickly. I'm really sorry.", she said in such a rush. I slowly  looked up and saw her wearing a uniform, then I saw her name tag, and then I saw her face but only briefly as she ran away.

 

     Well that was rude. She bumped on to me, destroyed my food, didn't even help me get up, didn't say sorry, ran away and even called me cheeks. I was used to it though, people are always rude, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.

 

---

 

     I quickly looked clean clothes in my bag as I haven't really fixed my things yet. The clothes I was wearing is still soaked.  While changing, I saw the big cloth in the reflection of my mirror. I looked at the right side of the room and went near it, curious of what's underneath.

 

     I hesitated, 'Should I remove it? Am I even allowed to?'. I held on to the cloth but stopped. Maybe I shouldn't. I just went to bed because I'm tired and suddenly felt sleepy.

 

     I couldn't sleep. I feel really sleepy but I can't sleep. The thought of what's underneath the cloth is really bugging me. I stood up from bed and decided to end my suffering. This is my room now, isn't it?

 

     I stood in front of it and took a deep breath. I pulled the cloth and coughed immediately when I successfully removed it, it was so dusty, smokes of dust went flying everywhere.

 

     After recovering from the dust, I was mesmerized by the painting. It was the most different one. It actually had a person on it. I'm not really sure if it's even a human being. This sounds corny but she looks like an angel, a goddess even, but without wings. It's because she's- She's...


She's beautiful.