Prologue

The Girl In The Painting

     I stared at her. She looked so real, every detail, from her eyes that were staring like they could see my soul, her skin that was pale and showed no signs of blemishes, up to her lips that were tempting and showed perfection but held no emotion. It was painted so intricately that I felt like she was breathing too. To say that the woman was beautiful would be an understatement, she was flawless.


     I looked around the room to check if I was really alone. My lonely self needed someone to talk to so I sat down on my bed and started to talk to her, even though I knew she won't be able to reply. I only needed someone to listen anyway.


     "I can't speak." I sighed feeling pathetic that I was speaking to a painting but I continued. 


     "I- I don't even know why. I just can't. What's even worse is that she's back. I haven't even be able to stand up from where she left me but she's already back, probably to drag me down again. I resent her with every nerve of my body but I can't help but envy her too. She's normal. She has friends she can talk to anytime she wants to and she does it with ease while I can only stare at people while they continue to enjoy each other's company. I want that too, ya know? Someone I could joke around with, someone who I could eat with or walk with, and even just someone who'd listen. I just want someone who'd stay by my side. I just want to have a friend but why can't I do that? And that Kim Chaewon, why does she have to remind me of how much of a loner I am? Why does she hate me so much? She doesn't need to hurt me physically and emotionally. I've been doing that to myself my whole life alrea---"


     "Are you gonna eat that?" Someone cut me off while I was speaking. I was pretty sure no one was with me. I tried to look for where that voice came from but there's nobody there aside from me. I carefully held my sausage bread while looking under the bed. 


     "Hey?" I heard it again. It seemed like it was from the wall. I looked at the painting and I swear it felt like my heart stopped beating. The woman from the painting, she's alive. 


     "I said, were you gonna eat that?" I was even more shocked when she started to speak to me. The next thing I knew, everything went dark.