Chapter 36

The Stepbrother

 36

“Yoongi, the cookies! The cookies are burning, get them out!” 

Yoongi scrambles behind Hara and manages to avoid getting her frosting covered fingers in his face before bending down to open the oven. Taehyung throws him a kitchen towel and Yoongi bundles it up before pulling the hot tray out of the oven and placing it on the stovetop. 

“They survived,” he announces, and there are loud cheers from the living room where Hoseok and Jungkook are supposed to be adding a few finishing touches to the decoration. 

They all decided to celebrate Christmas in Yoongi’s tiny apartment. The usual place has always been Jungkook’s mansion, but after everything that has happened since last year, Yoongi’s place seemed like the right choice. 

Taehyung and Hoseok have been celebrating Christmas with Jungkook for years now, so their families had no problems with their absence today. Jungkook and Hara had some trouble, but not because Yunho and Sora wanted them home, no, the couple is currently on a quick business trip to Singapore before their wedding next week, they already sent their holiday greetings to Hara and Jungkook along with a bunch of gifts awaiting them at home. 

It was Heechul who threw a tantrum when he found out he wouldn’t have to cook for anyone on the one day he could show off his michelin star worthy cooking skills, but Hara and Jungkook, along with a nervous Leeteuk and a grinning Siwon, had managed to calm the chef down and send him, along with the rest of the workers, home. 

Everyone got a whole week off of work to celebrate with their families, and Jungkook had made sure to bow deeply in apology to Jisoo before giving her a present. The girl had panicked but thanked him, a genuine smile on her face afterwards, and Hara had watched the whole interaction with warmth in her heart. 

Yeah, there is truly something magical about christmas.

“Thank god they didn’t burn.” Hara sighs in relief. “Okay, back to work. Tae, I’m done with the cupcakes.” 

“There’s no more room in the fridge,” Taehyung says from behind Hara, and he throws her a worried glance, “how’re we gonna keep the cupcakes from melting?”

Jungkook seems to have heard him and enters the kitchen, wordlessly grabbing the tray Hara had been working on.

“What’re you doing?” Hara asks. 

“We should put them in the living room, it’s ice cold in there anyways.”

“Yeah, I need to fix the heater,” Yoongi mutters, rubbing his neck, and Jungkook shakes his head. 

“I’ll have someone come and look at it soon.” He doesn’t give Yoongi the chance to argue and turns on his heel to leave, but then turns back around in the last second and reaches for Hara’s hand. 

“What’re you doing?” Hara asks, wearily, but Jungkook suddenly brings her pointer to her nose and rubs some of the frosting from her finger onto it. 

His grin is wide and boyish and Hara gapes. 

“I’m going to murder-”

“Catch me if you can!” Jungkook twists on his heel and rushes out of the kitchen area, and Hara is about to follow him but Taehyung pulls her back by the waist and moves her towards the sink.

“No, nope, not happening, we’re not risking anything getting dirty, wash your handsies right now, young lady.” 

Hara elbows him and laughs when he playfully groans in pain, and Yoongi snorts, watching them while leaning against the wall next to the tiny fridge. 

This kinda feels like home. Like family. He wonders if his mother will make it in time today. She didn’t last year.

“Give me the spatula, I’m gonna get some on his stupid face,” Hara says after drying her hands on a kitchen towel, but Taehyung moves the spatula out of her reach and shakes his head. 

“No can do, the food fights can wait until after dinner.”

“This is so unfair! Why did he get to do it?”

Taehyung shrugs. “He was fast.”

Hara narrows her eyes and leaves the kitchen, and Taehyung can be heard laughing behind her, mumbling something to Yoongi. 

“Hara, Jungkook keeps removing the star from the tree,” Hoseok whines when Hara enters the small living room. They had to settle for a medium sized tree, mostly because there was barely enough space for it after they set up Yoongi’s new coffee table, a gift from Hoseok. Taehyung had bought bean bags, due to lack of space for a new couch, and Jungkook and Hara had done the grocery shopping for the food and decoration. 

To say the day has been stressful would be an understatement. 

“Why?” Hara walks up to the boys and frowns at Jungkook who is holding the glittering star behind his back. 

“We’ll do it when Jimin arrives,” he says, “he should be the one who does it.”

Hara slowly nods and then snorts. “Are you indirectly calling Jimin a star?” 

Jungkook thinks for a moment and then shrugs. “I guess. He is the main reason why you’re still here today. Why all of us are here today.”

Hara’s frown softens and she stares at Jungkook. He’s right, had it not been for Jimin - she would probably still be in denial about her feelings for Jungkook. Had it not been for Jimin, Yoongi and the boys would never have known the truth about Jungkook. 

Had it not been for Jimin, everything would have turned out the way Hara had started to fear. 

“Oh, don’t get all sappy so soon,” Yoongi groans when he notices how everyone in the room are lost in their thoughts, stepping past Hara and Jungkook to sit on the two-seater. “We’re gonna have at least two crying sessions today at this rate.” 

“Two?” Hara asks, frowning at him. 

“Jimin is small,” Taehyung says as he crouches down to fix the myriad of presents under the christmas tree, “you’ll cry when he’s here, it’s a natural reaction.” 

Hara snorts but she inwardly agrees, there will definitely be a crying session today. However, she shrugs and decides if anything it’ll be tears of happiness. She has become familiar with those by now. 

“Okay, so when do we start warming up the food again?”

Hara sighs and moves over to Yoongi before slumping down next to him. “Ten minutes before he arrives.”

“But it’s five o’clock in like two minutes,” Hoseok says, frowning at his phone screen. “Didn’t you guys tell him it was five on the dot?” 

Jungkook walks over to Hara and squeezes himself between her and Yoongi, earning a groan from them both because there is not enough space for all three of them. Still, he sighs contentedly and smiles, putting an arm around Hara’s shoulders. 

“Jimin hyung signed out seven in the morning, he’s still catching up with his family. We shouldn’t rush him, let him feel their love, too.” 

Hara feels her heart warm up and looks at Jungkook, blinking a little in surprise when she notices how close they are, but before she can look away, Jungkook meets her gaze, his smile turning into a smirk. 

“What?” he murmurs. Hara feels her cheeks warm up and shrugs, looking away. 

Yoongi is staring ahead but he notices the interaction in the corner of his eyes, Hoseok is staring at the couple with a fond smile on his face and Taehyung looks positively scandalized.

“Really, guys? Right in front of my salad?”

“What did I say about quoting outdated memes,” Hoseok scolds, slapping the back of his head, and Taehyung winces and rubs the spot with a grimace on his face. “Come on now, we should start warming the food.”

They leave the living room in a hurry, and soon Hara and Jungkook become hyper aware of how close they’re sitting. Yoongi purses his lips and glares at the wall across from him, narrowing his eyes when he realizes the two tricksters in the kitchen deliberately left him with the couple, but before anything inappropriate happens - the doorbell rings. 

Yoongi jumps to his feet and all but runs to get it, and Hara and Jungkook quickly get up and follow him, both looking a little flustered. 

It takes Jimin a bit of time to walk up all the stairs, but Taehyung rushes down to meet him halfway and pulls him into a bone-crushing hug before dragging him along, excitedly talking about everything they’re gonna do this weekend. 

“Jimin!” The boy has barely entered the apartment before he’s attacked by Hoseok, both of them giggling and jumping a little in joy, and Yoongi has a fond but proud smile on his face when Jimin turns towards him, the younger boy’s eyes a little teary.

“Merry Christmas, hyung,” Jimin softly says, and Yoongi’s jaw clenches, arms already pulling the boy tightly against his chest. 

“You’ve done so good,” he whispers, eyes blurry and voice a bit choked, but he couldn’t care less and he gives the boy a final squeeze before pulling away, lightly flicking his forehead. “And you’re not allowed to leave before you’ve had all the food we’ve made for you. God knows today has been one of the most stressful days of my life.”

“Hey, I did the whole work! You barely helped with the cookies!” 

Hara pushes Yoongi’s shoulder from behind and the boy playfully rolls his eyes before stepping aside. Jimin instantly grins, wiping away a tear that has made it down his cheek as he quickly walks over to the girl and engulfs her in a warm hug. Hara melts into him.

“Okay, my turn now,” Jungkook says next to them and Jimin pulls back, grinning up at Jungkook before widening his eyes.

“Have you seriously grown more?” 

Jungkook shrugs with a stupid smirk on his face and then bends down a little and compares his height to Jimin’s. “God, now that you mention it, I think I just might have.”

Jimin playfully slaps his arm and then pulls him in, grinning into his shoulder while Jungkook chuckles against his hair. 

“God, I’ve missed you guys so much.” 

So this is what Yoongi meant, Hara thinks, when he said there would be at least two crying sessions. Hara crosses her arms over her chest, subconsciously offering herself some comfort as she watches the genuine smiles on the boys’ faces. The room is filled with love and joy and happiness, and Hara can’t help but feel a pang of pain at the thought of all of this not existing. She’s suddenly grateful for having stayed, for having done everything she did to bring the boys together. 

It was never her intention, true, she just wanted answers, but halfway through she had learned more and more about these boys and the thought of reuniting them and repairing their broken friendship had become her priority before she left. 

“Wait, the star! You have to put the star on the tree, Minnie,” Taehyung suddenly says, excitedly pulling Jimin along to the living room. Yoongi grabs Jimin’s coat and hangs it up for him while Hoseok places the boy’s shoes on the shoe rack before the two of them follow the rest into the living room. 

“Seriously, guys, you didn’t have to wait for-”

“No,” Jungkook interrupts, shaking his head, “it had to be you, hyung.”

Jimin stares at him for a moment and then nods, smiling to himself as he grabs the glittering decoration and places it on the tree. The boys start clapping for some reason, Hara joins in and laughs when Jimin blushes and playfully pushes Jungkook. 

“Okay, guys, let’s get straight to eating,” Hoseok suddenly yells, “I’m positively starving and the food is probably hotter than Chris Evan’s by now, come on.”

They start plating up, everyone talking and smiling and laughing as they catch up while Taehyung plays a Christmas playlist on Yoongi’s speakers. 

Hoseok gives everyone generous portions of mashed potatoes, oven baked, crispy veggies and juicy steak while Hara brings the drinks with Jungkook’s help. 

“Where should I put these?” Jungkook asks, holding up a few cans of beers, and Hara looks over his shoulder and then points towards the corner near the bean bags.

“They’ll remain cold there, we’re drinking cider first since Taehyung said it is Jimin’s favourite.” 

Jungkook nods and follows Hara’s orders, and then they’re all seated around the coffee table, chatter and laughter not ceasing even when they’re eating. Jimin keeps telling them embarrassing stories about Yoongi from his first year in the college, and the older boy is blushing to his ears as he tries intervening to do some damage control.

“I did not do that,” he yells over the loud laughter, “Jimin, you little , my image is on the line here!”

Jimin giggles louder and leans on Taehyung who is about to pass out from how hard he has been laughing, all but throwing himself off the couch. Hara and Jungkook are sitting next to each other on the bean bags across from them, and Hara can’t stop giggling, putting her drink away before she chokes on it. She doesn’t notice how Jungkook can’t seem to take his eyes off her, a small smile on his face. 

Hoseok is cackling like a hyena, but he notices the interaction and grins. “Hey, Jimin, what do you think about the new couple in town?” 

Jimin’s laughing slowly ceases but the grin remains on his face, albeit a little softer now. Hara and Jungkook both look surprised, Yoongi and Taehyung turn their smug grins on them and watch in amusement as the couple turns all flustered. 

“I like it,” Jimin says, biting back a smile, “a little controversial, not at all conventional, but I personally support it.” 

He gives Hara a knowing wink and the girl smiles, averting her gaze. 

So this is what it’s like, Hara wonders. 

To have a family? To feel unconditional love, loyalty and support? 

Hara doesn’t know what comes over her, but throughout the dinner she keeps holding back tears, her heart full to the brim with warmth. God, it feels like she might just die from happiness. 

And Jungkook, Hara doesn’t know what she’d do without him, because the boy seems to have noticed, his hand instantly seeking hers, interlocking their fingers to offer Hara an occasional squeeze. Reassurance, warmth. Love. 

Hara’s eyes meet his a few times during the loud discussions, and her heart jumps each time. Jungkook’s smile only widens, maybe because he feels it too.

Time moves fast, and the presents are passed around and unwrapped towards the end of the night when the food has been cleared away and cookies and cupcakes have been munched on. Jimin’s smile and laughter is infectious, and Hoseok is quite literally crying while presenting his gifts. 

“And this-this is for that one time you told me you wanted a friendship bracelet but I forgot about it because of those s-stupid exams,” he says while hiccuping, face red, and Yoongi keeps laughing at him in disbelief, but Hara is also biting back tears because as ridiculous as it is - Hoseok’s pain is easily felt by everyone in the room. 

“Oh, no, don’t cry, hyung, come on.” Jimin gets to his feet and wraps his arms around Hoseok who cries into his shoulder, and Taehyung who had been busy filming the whole thing whines in annoyance while angrily wiping away his tears.

“I thought we agreed not to cry, guys!” 

Yoongi rubs the younger boy’s back and snorts, “I said there’s gonna be two sessions, didn’t I?” 

After Hoseok has calmed down and everyone has settled down in their spots again, a christmas song lowly playing in the background, Jungkook reaches over and gently squeezes Jimin’s shoulder, catching the boy off guard. 

“Thank you, hyung,” he says, softly, lips pulled into a smile, and Jimin giggles tiredly and nods. 

“No worries.” He stares at Jungkook for a moment and then snorts. “You’ve really grown a lot, you know.” 

Everyone in the room knows he’s no longer referring to Jungkook’s height. 

Jungkook looks choked up, eyes filled with happiness and relief. Jimin smiles and leans back on the couch, and Jungkook does the same and instantly feels Hara’s hand slip into his. It shouldn’t be possible, but the happiness filling his heart doubles and he smiles, wide and genuine.

Taehyung and Jimin are the first to leave, Taehyung offers Jimin a ride so his driver can have the night off, and after another crying session and tight, warm hugs, they’re gone. The rest stay behind, helping Yoongi clean up until the house is spotless, and Hara and Jungkook are busy putting on their shoes and coats in the hallway when Hoseok suddenly calls for them from the living room. 

“I’m wearing shoes, hyung,” Jungkook whines, not wanting to take them off and then put them on again, but Hara just pulls him along and follows Hoseok’s voice to the christmas tree.

“What’s up?” 

Hoseok points to an empty bag lying next to Hara and Jungkook’s gifts, the ones they received from the other boys, and grins. “Where you guys seriously going to forget about these?”

“Hyung. Did you seriously have to call us in instead of just bringing it to us in the hallway?” 

Hoseok smacks Jungkook’s shoulder and earns a grunt in return, but he doesn’t stay and goes back to the kitchen where Yoongi is packing up the cupcakes. 

“Mission accomplished,” he whispers, grinning at the older boy, and Yoongi snorts and smirks. 

“Just make sure to snap a picture, they’ll like that.” 

Hoseok brightens up at the idea and grabs his phone, tip toeing over to the wall separating the kitchen from the living room. Hara and Jungkook are crouching down in front of the tree, stuffing the bag with the presents while muttering stuff to each other, and Hoseok watches them on his phone screen, impatiently waiting until they notice the mistletoe hanging directly over their heads so he can snap a picture. 

Yoongi’s phone vibrates and he grimaces when Hoseok’s shushes him. He quickly picks up and puts the phone to his ear, not getting to check the ID of the caller as he steps further into the kitchen. 

“Hello?” 

Yoongi stares at the sink in front of him, listening to the voice on the other line, his heart falling. He knew she wasn’t going to make it, it’s past midnight after all, but he had still hoped, like a fool. 

“It’s okay, mom,” he whispers, eyes prickling with tears, “don’t worry, mom, we had fun.”

Hoseok seems to have noticed and looks over his shoulder, his brows furrowing as he listens. 

“No, mom, really, it’s not your fault. Get some sleep, okay? And if there’s a man on your doorstep tomorrow, don’t freak out, I sent you a gift.”

Yoongi looks nervous all of a sudden and he scratches the back of his neck. Hoseok straightens up and stares at him, a small smile on his face. 

“No, it didn’t cost a lot, I promise.” The boy groans lowly and then sighs. “Of course I included the receipt, but you’re not allowed to return it, okay? It’s a gift, mom. You’re supposed to keep them.” 

A few seconds pass and Yoongi smiles. 

“I love you, too. Merry Christmas, mom.”

He hangs up and drags in a calming breath before turning around. Hoseok is standing right in front of him, and Yoongi jumps in surprise, face instantly flushing when he realizes the boy must have heard the conversation. 

“Oh, uh, yeah, that was my mom,” he sheepishly mumbles, face red, “she was actually supposed to come today but she couldn’t because of work and-.”

Hoseok doesn’t let him finish, hands reaching out to grab Yoongi’s collar to pull him close and slam their lips together. Yoongi’s eyes widen in shock and he stills, hands frozen mid-air before his muscles go lax and he pulls the boy closer. 

The kiss doesn’t last for that long, but it feels like eternity before Hoseok’s lips curve into a smile and he pulls back, leaning his forehead against Yoongi’s. 

“God, I’ve waited so long to do that,” he laughs, and Yoongi pants against his lips, warm, vanilla breath, most definitely from the cupcake they had shared, mingling together, and he thinks that’s what Hoseok is like. Sweet and soft and all kinds of soothing.

“Do it again.” Hoseok’s eyes widen a little, his confidence turning into embarrassment now that the high of the moment has worn off, but Yoongi moves closer. “Do it again, then.”

Hoseok smiles and leans in again, and this time Yoongi meets him halfway. 

They don’t notice the couple staring at them in shock, wide smiles on their faces as they snap pictures of them from behind the wall separating the kitchen and living room. Hara feels relief as she steps back and saves the photos to her album, and Jungkook scrunches his nose but grins, quietly following Hara to the hallway so they can leave without disturbing the couple. 

“Took them long enough,” Hara says once they’ve entered Jungkook’s maserati. “Also, it’s really fricking cold in here, Jungkook, we might get frostbite before we make it home.”

The boy wordlessly turns the heater on full blast, watching as Hara melts into her seat, and then snorts.

“What?”

“Didn’t know you were such a softie,” Jungkook says, smirking, and Hara narrows her eyes at him.

“I should be saying that to you. Don’t think for a second I didn’t notice how you almost cried when Jimin hugged you earlier.” 

Jungkook doesn’t take offense to that, in fact he just smiles and nods. “I missed him.”

Hara feels her heart warm up at the confession. Jungkook seems more open with his emotions nowadays, and god, does Hara love it. He seems more human, more happy. 

“Thank you for the gift,” Hara says, softly, and Jungkook stares at her for a moment and then looks away, ears red. 

“Sure, it wasn’t that big a deal.”

He clears his throat in embarrassment and Hara bites back a laugh, shaking her head as she reaches for the necklace wrapped around her neck. It’s a little star. Jungkook hadn’t said anything when he had handed Hara the box, maybe because he was embarrassed that his hyungs were watching, but Hara could see it in his eyes. 

You wish upon a star and hope it brings you what you want. Jungkook didn’t need to say anything, Hara understood the message. 

They both click their seatbelts in place and Jungkook drives down the street before he suddenly stops in front of the roundabout leading to the main road. 

“What’s wrong?” Hara frowns, looking over at him. “Did we forget something?”

“I think I forgot my phone,” Jungkook says, reaching into his pockets, “can you check the bag? I feel like maybe I put it in there.” 

Hara quickly goes through the bag of gifts in her lap and frowns. 

“I don’t think it’s in here.” She checks her own pockets, “okay, I think we should go back, we’re not that far away anyw-.” 

Hara trails off when she turns towards Jungkook. The boy is smiling softly, his face close to hers, and she blinks in surprise. 

“What are you doing?” 

“Look up,” Jungkook whispers, and Hara slowly looks up, noticing the small decoration Jungkook is holding in his hand. 

“Are you serious?” Hara’s cheeks are on fire and she arches both eyebrows in disbelief, but Jungkook’s smile widens and he snorts. 

“Whoever is under the mistletoe has to share a kiss. I don’t make the rules.” 

Hara sputters and shakes her head. “You’re unbelievable, Jungkook, you just stressed me out because of your stupid phone, I seriously thought we had to go back out into the cold to fetch it, good lord, one of these days I might just punch you for being so stupid!” 

“Go ahead,” Jungkook says, softly, “punch me on the mouth. With your lips.” 

Hara stares at him in utter shock, her hand itching to slap him for making such a stupid joke, but Jungkook grabs the back of her neck and pulls her close. 

“Last chance to back out, Kim,” he sings, and Hara is too flustered to act out on her anger and embarrassment, so she huffs and cups his face, closing the space between them. 

Jungkook hums in satisfaction and smiles a little against her lips, and Hara feels her heart skip a handful of beats, lips tingling where they move against Jungkook’s soft ones. 

“You have got to tell me what you put on your lips,” Hara whispers against him, “soft, so soft.” 

Jungkook freezes for a moment before laughing.

“Carmex.”

Hara hums, connecting their mouths again and Jungkook’s hand finds her waist, squeezing. Hara’s heart is pounding like crazy against her chest and she runs her hand through Jungkook’s hair, tugging on the long locks. Jungkook groans at the sensation and then pulls back, panting against Hara’s lips.

They’re in a car, for god’s sake, parked right in front of a roundabout where anyone can come any moment now, and Hara seems intent on driving Jungkook crazy. He has to close his eyes and lean his forehead against hers, dragging in a few calming breaths.

Hara leans back a little, brows furrowed for a second before her lips curve into a small smirk when she notices the state that Jungkook is in, and she gently cups his face and closes her eyes. 

“Let’s go, Kook. Take me home.”

**

Thank you for joining me on this weird journey. 

Another story, with either Taekook or Jikook as the main ship (share your wishes and they might come true y'all), is currently in the works. 

For everyone who commented and motivated me into finishing this story, I owe you a lung.

Happy new year!