Chapter 2

The Stepbrother

this is just a filler chapter but it contains their first meeting eeeyyy

 2 

“Just place your stuff here, the moving company will take care of it.” 

“Let me guess,” Hara says, putting her suitcase and bags down next to her before crossing her arms over her chest, “Yunho paid for it?” 

"Does not concern you. And what the hell are you even wearing?" Hara receives a quick once-over from her mom who then shakes her head in disappointment. 

"What? Don't they know about hoodies and sweats in Snobby Town?"

Her mother ignores the comment and quickly runs a hand through her dark locks, patting down her coat and dress for any creases when a sleek black car pulls up in their small driveway, and Hara feels annoyance slowly creeping into her bloodstream. 

“Just-just behave,” her mother says, turning towards her with a fake smile on her face, “please”, and Hara actually feels a little guilty for causing her so much stress when she sees the desperation and slight worry in her mother’s eyes, but it all vanishes the second Yunho exits the car from the backseat. 

Great, he’s the type who would rather use a chauffeur than drive himself. 

“Why, aren’t you two a sight for sore eyes,” Yunho exclaims, grinning widely as he walks up to them. 

His hair is gelled to perfection, face practically wrinkle free, and he’s wearing a crisp, black coat that probably costs just as much as the car behind him. Hara looks away in disgust when he leans down to kiss her mom on the lips. 

She quickly plasters on a smile when he turns towards her and allows him to hug her. 

“Have you grown since last time I saw you?” he jokes playfully, and Hara bites her lip to hold back a sharp you've only met me once, instead grinning in response before shrugging. 

“I don’t think so, Yunho-ssi, it has barely been two months since we first met.” Hara’s mother clearly gets the underlying message in her carefree comment, but Yunho is ever the oblivious and laughs.

“You have yet to turn eighteen,” he says, “you are still a growing child in my eyes.” 

“Yeah, speaking of child,” Hara chooses to switch the subject, “where’s your son? I thought he was gonna pick us up with you.” 

Hara ignores the glare her mother shoots her and pointedly keeps her eyes on Yunho who grins fondly, completely disregarding the way Hara speaks.

“Jungkook had already made plans with his friends, so he is at the mall. However, there is no need to worry, he is going be there for our dinner.” 

Great, Hara thinks, he’s got a kid who likes to hang out at the mall with his other snobby, little friends. 

“You didn’t have to do that, Yunho,” Hara’s mom says, but Yunho shakes his head, still smiling that stupid genuine smile that makes Hara feel a little envious of this Jungkook who has had Yunho as a father. 

No matter how pretentious, he’s still a good guy at heart, Hara isn’t gonna deny that. 

“I did not need to do anything. He asked about it himself, wanted to know exactly when we will be home so he can meet you two.” 

“He sounds so sweet,” Hara’s mother gushes, and Hara has to force back a scoff of disbelief because she hasn’t even met the son. Wow. 

“Well.” Yunho claps his hands and grins. “How about we start moving, it is freezing out here.”

Turns out, sitting in the passenger seat with the chauffeur isn’t an acceptable move in high society, but Hara ignores the look of surprise on both Yunho and the driver’s faces, and the look of pure fury on her mother’s, and sighs while clasping her seatbelt shut. 

Yunho awkwardly clears his throat and signals for the confused driver to begin driving, and Hara pulls her knees to her chest, clearly another taboo act if the driver’s wide eyes is anything to go by, and stares out of the window, trying to memorize the road to the new house.

Except the drive seemingly never stops and she ends up falling asleep at some point, a gentle touch to her shoulder waking her god knows how much time later. 

The sun has began to sink now, but the sky is still a little clear, and Hara looks up at the driver who has an awkward smile on his face. 

“Uh, miss, we’re here.” Hara turns to check the backseats and yep, her “parents” have left the car already. “They told me to turn on the heater and let you rest for a bit, but I personally think your bed is more comfortable to sleep in.”

“Thanks,” Hara mutters, cheeks a little red in embarrassment as she unclasps her seatbelt and steps out of the car. “Holy .” 

Her eyes widen in shock at the size of the building in front of her, and she quickly walks closer to the front yard, scoffing in disbelief because there’s a bloody fountain in the middle of the driveway, holy , Yunho is rich rich. 

“The moving company will arrive shortly with your belongings, miss.” 

It’s then that Hara remembers she isn’t alone and turns towards the driver with an embarrassed smile on her face.

He’s very clearly trying rather hard to keep the amusement off his face, but Hara finds that she doesn’t really mind it and clears while fiddling with her jumper zipper. 

“Thank you…” She arches an eyebrow in expectation and the driver looks a little surprised, as if he isn’t used to people asking for his name. 

“Oh, Siwon, miss. My name is Choi Siwon.”

“Thank you, Siwon,” Hara says, smiling, and the driver grins, dimples appearing on each cheek. 

“My pleasure, miss.” 

She is then escorted into the house by a fricking butler, and the man gives her a quick tour of the first floor, letting her linger about in the kitchen where two chefs are busy preparing their dinner, and then they’re on their way up to the second floor. 

“This is master’s office, miss,” the butler, Leeteuk, says, smiling politely while gesturing to the door behind him. “He does not like it when people interrupt him, but if you have an appointment he will allow you inside.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Hara mutters, keeping other rude comments at bay while following Leeteuk around. 

He shows her the gym room, yes, a whole bloody gym room with all the expensive equipment there is, and a huge bathroom despite there being one in each of the eight bedrooms in the mansion. 

There’s still multiple doors left, and a whole basement floor, but Hara feels drained and awkwardly taps Leeteuk’s shoulder when they exit one of the guest bedrooms. 

“Uh, I’m a little tired, is it okay if I maybe take a quick nap or-”

“Oh, of course, miss! Right this way.” 

She is finally shown to her room, and she releases a soft “woah” at the size of it. 

Clearly, Yunho has given her one of the bigger rooms in the house, and she feels a little guilty for being so rude to him.

But she’s then reminded of the fact that she doesn’t owe him anything, she doesn’t owe her mother anything either. 

Three months and she’ll be freed from this emotional mess. 

“Thank you, but I can take it from here,” Hara says when Leeteuk is about to start describing every detail in the room to her.

The butler offers her a surprised and curt nod and then excuses himself, gently closing the door after him.

Hara is pleased to find a lock on the knob and quick locks herself inside before turning around. 

There’s no need for the mini walk-in closet in the corner of the room because Hara doesn’t own enough clothes to occupy even half of the hangers, and the luxurious vanity next to the sliding doors of a bloody balcony is completely unnecessary for Hara who has yet to start wearing makeup. 

The only thing Hara thinks she’ll find useful is the king sized bed, and she doesn’t waste time, all but jogging over to it before plopping onto the soft, silky sheets.

“, man,” she whispers, rolling onto her back with her hands resting on her belly. The fancy lights on the ceiling blind her momentarily, but she closes her eyes and drags in a deep breath. “This is too much.” 

She tries to sleep, tries to occupy her brain with mindless thoughts, but it’s impossible, and she groans, sitting up in a rush. 

She can go and explore the rest of the mansion, but she might end up running into the butler or other housekeepers, and she honestly just wants to be alone.

But not too alone, which she is right now, because her mind can be rather unforgiving when given too much attention. 

Does that even make sense, Hara wonders as she jumps off the bed and crosses the space to the door. 

The hallways are empty and she thankfully manages to find her way to the stairwell, politely smiling at the maids she passes by at the bottom of it when she enters the living room.

Her mother is sitting on the couch, a huge flat screen playing reruns of some cooking show, and Hara hates that she just for one moment feels like nothing has changed, like it's another normal day in her life.

But it isn't normal at all, because her mother isn’t sitting on their old, beaten down couch, wearing a worn-out plaid shirt with her hair thrown in a messy bun.

No, she’s sitting on an expensive leather couch, one of her finer dresses hugging her curves while thick curls frame her face. 

Who is this woman, Hara finds herself wondering when she passes by. 

“Hey, where are you going?” her mother asks, frowning, but Hara rolls her eyes and doesn’t falter in her steps.

“None of your business.”

“It is my business, I am your moth-”

“Bye,” Hara interrupts and jogs away.

“Miss, do you need me to call you a driver?” Leeteuk asks when Hara enters the hallway to the house entrance, but she shakes her head and pulls on her shoes. 

“No need, I’m just gonna explore the area.” Leeteuk doesn’t seem so sure about letting her do that, and so Hara plasters on a small smile and points over her shoulder. “Mom told me it would help with some fresh air. My head’s all fuzzy from the long car ride.” 

This seems to tip the weights, and Leeteuk releases a relieved laugh and nods. 

“Of course, Miss. Just keep this on you and give me a call in case of any emergencies. Have a nice trip out.”

Hara accepts the black info card he hands her and puts it away in her pocket before all but running out through the double doors, hoping her mother doesn’t follow her into the hallway to find out what she’s up to. 

The wind nips at her skin but she ignores the cold and zips her hoodie all the way up to her chin, hands finding refuge in her pockets as she walks away from the property and makes her way past fences and gates. 

“Is he the president’s nephew or something?” she muses while walking down a clean street, the bushes on each end of it covered in red roses and other plants despite it being september. 

She takes notice of all the other mansions lined up on each side of the street, gates keeping the properties separated from one another, and she has to hold back a humorless scoff when a car breezes past her at a speed that would definitely earn a couple of tickets any other place in the country. 

But not here, no, this is clearly a wealthy area in Seoul, rules have to bend for the people here and not the other way around. 

Hara ignores the looks she gets from some of the people walking down the streets because mismatching hoodies and sweats are clearly foreign to these people.

She passes by multiple, fancy buildings housing law firms, theatres, shoe shops - you name it, before she makes it to a huge building standing out from the rest, the words “Expo Mall” blinking red against its white backdrop.

Dragging in a deep breath, Hara sighs and enters, successfully blending in with the throng of people, except if anyone did a double take she’d very easily be distinguished from the fashionable people surrounding her. 

Hara doesn’t really want any attention, so she moves to the sides and decides to quickly take in her surroundings and maybe buy a warm drink or something because the aircon is blasted to the highest. 

What, do these people not feel the cold? 

There’s a stand selling some fancy looking drinks, and Hara decides she’ll grab a quick one and leave because people have started staring and it really . 

“Good afternoon, miss, what can I get for….” The man trails off when he gets a good look at Hara and very obviously tries masking his curiosity and disgust by forcing on a smile. “What can I get for you, miss?” 

“Uh, could I have a hot chocolate?”

“What size would you like?”

The man is still eyeing her, as if anticipating a potential theft, and Hara feels a little offended but doesn’t comment anything because there’s a line forming behind her and she wants to haul and get out of there. 

“Medium, I guess.” 

“Coming right up,” the man says, obviously keeping up the act for the sake of the other customers who are curiously watching, and Hara suddenly feels like an animal at a zoo, subconsciously tugging on the sleeves of her faded grey hoodie. 

“What is she wearing?” she hears someone behind her whisper, and then another “she must be from somewhere else, who in their right mind leaves the house in red pants?”

“Is she the new girl they were talking about?” 

“Is she going to enroll into the college here? I hope I won’t have to share classes with her, she looks like a clown.”

Hara wants to turn around and clarify that she has taken a bloody gap year, and that even if she did decide to study at their college she wouldn’t give two s about their opinions, but that will definitely cause a scene and man she just got to this bloody town.

“Oi, dude, look,” this time it’s a boy speaking a few feet behind her, probably waiting in line for drinks, “grey with red-”

“I’ve never seen a girl wear such casual clothing here,” another boys comments, but it doesn’t sound hostile, to Hara’s surprise, not that she’s listening or anything. “It’s new.”

“So what,” and obnoxious girly voice squeaks, “she’s probably poor, no one should wear crap like that unless they’re homeless.”

“That’s a little harsh,” the male voice from earlier says, and Hara is about to snap when the girl replies with “you gotta treat a harshly if you want her to learn”, but the man making her drink places the finished product on the counter in front of her and clears his throat. 

“That’ll be ten dollars, miss.” 

Hara thankfully manages to mask her shock at the price and quickly hands the man a couple of crumpled up bills from her old wallet. 

She grabs the drink and keeps her head down so her hood covers her face when she turns around to leave, but when she passes by the girl she assumes had called her a , there’s a sudden movement to her right and two seconds later her hoodie is covered in piping hot chocolate.

“!” Hara yelps, quickly pulling the material away from her burning skin, and she looks up in shock and anger, taking in the smirking barbie doll in front of her. “What the ?” 

“Oops,” the girl says, faking a sorry expression, “I didn’t see you there.”

"Sunny, what the hell?" one of the boys waiting in line with her exclaims, taking a step closer to Hara who's still busy biting back a string of profanities because that hurt like a .

“, are you okay?” the boy next to Sunny asks, tugging her aside to gently grasp at Hara’s arm, but she flinches away and frowns. 

“No, I’m very obviously not okay.” She pushes him aside and points at the barbie, Sunny, with a glare on her face. “I could have gotten seriously injured, I hope you’re aware of that.”

“I did say it was an accident,” Sunny snaps, crossing her arms over her chest, the gucci bag dangling from her elbow serving as a reminder to Hara. 

A rich snob. She’s dealing with a rich snob who has probably gotten away with whatever the she pleases all her life. 

Hara realizes this is a lost cause.

Sure, there is some comfort in the worry radiating off of both boys standing next to Sunny, but Hara doesn’t want pity and sighs.

“I’d drop the fake lashes if I were you,” she says instead, pulling the now cold hoodie away from her belly, “it will lessen chances of future accidents by at least fifty percent.”

“Excuse me?” Sunny squeaks, but Hara ignores her and steps away from the crowd that has formed near them. 

“You heard me. The remaining fifty percent depend on your brain to body coordination which I can already tell .” Hara points to her wet hoodie. “Really ing much.” 

And then she turns on her heel and leaves, causing a commotion behind her with Sunny’s voice being the loudest. 

She passes by a boy frowning at her, clearly surprised and curious, but she doesn’t allow her stare to linger and ignores the skip in her heartbeat, trying to keep her steps steady as she leaves the mall and steps out into the cold autumn air. 

“.”

The wet patch on her hoodie is ice cold and Hara is pretty sure she’s getting sick today, why didn’t she bring her bloody coat?

It would probably also have saved her from having to experience the incident at the mall. 

Hara scoffs.

Who is she kidding?

She’d still end up fighting that , or any at all, that is just how she is and it'll take more than a Regina George look alike to change that quality of hers.