005

Midnight Talk: a series

“This is why I’m still single, Seah. If I have a girlfriend, imagine yourself spending time being alone here,” Taeyong cooed as he drank his third chai latte.

“Yeah, right.” You rolled your eyes. You hated it sometimes when your bestfriend was right. You basically always called whenever you were alone and you didn’t feel like staying at home all by yourself.

“Speaking of which, you remember Johnny, that freaking tall guy? Do you mind if he and some of my friends join us right now?”

“The more, the merrier.”

It wasn’t the first time for you to meet Taeyong’s friends. You had met them. Once. Luckily their loudness and silliness didn’t make you feel uncomfortable. They had completely opposite personalities compared to Taeyong who was calm most of the time. And somehow you just fit in there.

“Hey, let’s play games ‘Would You Rather’,” Haechan excitedly exclaimed.

“Suddenly?” Johnny chuckled but eventually agreed.

“Let’s start from Johnny hyung. If you were stranded in an island, would you rather take Mark or Jaehyun with you?”

“Can I pass?” Johnny just laughed. “Taking Mark would be useless, he can’t even fry an egg. How am I suppose to survive? Taking Jaehyun means no one looks after my sister. How is she suppose to live if both of us did not survive?”

Everyone cheered, laughed and clapped like a seal for his diplomatic answer.

“Let’s continue to Taeyong hyung. If Seah noona and Johnny hyung were drowning in the ocean, would you rather save Seah noona or Johnny hyung first?”

Taeyong’s smile started to fade away. His eyes were quivering between you and Johnny. You didn’t notice this as you were giggling with Mark, still not over Mark’s great inability of cooking.

Of course it would be Seah, Johnny talked to himself. Look at him, it’s only a games and the thought of losing Seah already messes his mind.

“What kind of question is that?” Johnny cut off. “I think I would be the one to save him the moment he jumps to the sea since he’s bad in the water.”

The others laughed heartedly, including you, because Johnny had a point. Yet Taeyong’s face was still stiff and he could only let out an awkward laughter. He really put such a silly question in a deep thought. How could he not? Both Johnny and you were important to him. He would be gone mad to lose one of his bestfriends. Although it might be a different case for you, as someone who had a special place in his heart.

———

“What do you think of Johnny?”

“He has such a bright personality. I think he’s a kind of person who is fun to be with. Am I right?”

Taeyong smiled. “Are you free next week? I have two tickets for a concert but I can’t go.”

“So?”

“I gave one to Johnny. Will you go with him for me?”

You raised an eyebrow and looked at him in the eyes. “Are you setting me up with him?”

“Why, you don’t like it?”

You still maintained your expression, demanding for an answer.

He broke the eye contact with you. “If you don’t like it, I’ll just give the other ticket to Johnny’s sister.”

“I didn’t say I don’t like it though?”

Taeyong turned back to you. “So, is it a yes or no?”

You shrugged. “I don’t see why not.”

Taeyong grinned at his bestfriend. He ignored a disturbing feelings in his heart, knowing that you would give it a try with Johnny who had made himself clear about his feelings for you.