002

Midnight Talk: a series

“Hey, I’m at a tteokpokki house just across your studio. Join me?” You called your bestfriend, not even realizing what time it was. There was something different in your voice, Taeyong easily noticed. Being a devoted friend, no need to ask twice and Taeyong will rush going there.

You were pouring soju to your glass when Taeyong arrived. His inner mom immediately showed as he started nagging. “You know you can’t drink and here you are alone? How many bottles did you have?”

“Chill. I barely finish one bottle. See?” you said, waving the green bottle up to Taeyong’s face. “That’s why I called you. You know you’re my one-call away buddy.”

“Okay, now, spill.” He took the bottle and the glass away from your reach.

“You know, it’s over with Sehun.”

Taeyong froze. He waited for you continue talking but all you did was munching some oden. “Are you okay?”

“I’m not sure if I am or I am not.” You shrugged as you took a sip of water. “On one hand I do feel sad. On the other hand I feel somewhat relieved? We’re getting farther to each other. And I don’t think I can catch up with him.”

“If you want to cry, my shoulder—or my back, is all yours.”

“Why would I cry, you silly.” You chuckled. After 1 minute chuckling to yourself, your voice started to tremble into sobs. The funny thing yet somewhat miserable was that you still managed to smile and chuckle while tears were falling down your cheeks. It simply broke Taeyong’s heart. Why did you have to pretend that you’re strong, when you could just give up for good and lean on him?

“There, there.” Taeyong pulled his bestfriend closer and let you rest on his shoulder.

What would you do without me? What would I do without you?

Why can’t it be… me?