Getting Help

The Price of Immortality

“Why is your grandma in the hospital?”, Minjoo asked Sakura while they were on their drive home. Nako glanced over at Sakura who seemed tensed at the question.

“She’s sick. Most of her organs are donated and most of them are starting to break down as well.”, Sakura answered

”Ever since she was little, her body couldn’t take care of itself and it can’t defend against infection. I have done all I can to put her on top of the organ donation list but considering her age and how many transplants she has had, they wouldn’t allow her to be put as first anymore”. Sakura turned back to Minjoo and asked:

“Can I be honest with you?”, Minjoo nodded.

“I thought that since she can’t receive donated organs, I should go out and find the organs myself.”, the car fell silent at Sakura’s statement.

“I didn’t want to get them illegally and hurt an innocent person but the list of organs she needs is so extensive that taking them from multiple people would increase the risk of her body rejecting even more.”, Sakura added.

“And that’s why you bought me.”, Minjoo said.

“You’re not mad?”, Sakura asked.

“Why would I?”, Minjoo answered, ”There’s nothing wrong with trying to save someone you love.”

“Miss, I have contacted the doctor you were looking for.”, Nako said to Sakura.

“Good, when can we have a meeting with her?”

“She’s free today.”

“Okay, tell her to meet me at my place.”

“Is that the doctor that will help you with the transplant?”, Minjoo asked.

“Yes. Although I still wonder where her alligance lie.”, Sakura replied.
---
“Have you called her yet?”, Yujin asked from the backseat.

“I have. I called her 2 hours before we arrived at the hospital. I didn’t realise that she would also be there.”, Chaewon replied while keeping her eyes straight on the road.

“Hm. Maybe that’s why she seemed more annoyed when she ran into us.”, Yujin said. She reached over to the driver seat and picked out the handkerchief from Chaewon pocket. She carefully unfurled the handkerchief to examine the pink hair.

“Maybe when we call her next time, we would sound more persuasive.”, Yujin smiled.

“She said that she is getting help from somewhere else.”, Yujin nodded at Chaewon’s comment.

“May I ask why we are buying back something that we owned?”, Chaewon asked.

“By the time we located her, she was already sent to the auctioneer…If Dr Kwon didn’t developed some moral high ground then we wouldn’t be in this situation right now.”

“Do we know who had sent the girl to the auctioneer?”

“Dr Kwon was isolated and unable to contact the lab at the time so it must have been someone from the inside.”, Yujin tutted.

“Should I have a look into who were the staff on shift during that time?”

“Don’t bother, I have already looked into it. Either they quit or have agreed to not disclose what they know to the public. None of them seem to have been deeply involved in the project to know Dr Kwon plan. Whoever Dr Kwon employed, they were very careful to not leave any trace behind.”
---
“Hello. Who is this?”, Sakura asked.

“Hello Ms Miyawaki. I am Ms Kim, Ms Ahn’s secretary.”, Sakura’s brow creased. She thought that she was done dealing with her competitor from the auction.

“Sorry Ms Kim, I usually deal business with Mr and Mrs Ahn. Why would Ms Ahn be needing to contact me.”, Sakura innocently asked.

“I have been informed that you two have met during the auction hosted by Ms Choi last night.”

“That’s correct.”

“May I ask you why you decided to bid for the ‘object’ at last night auction?”

“I thought that it was a unique collector item. An item that will never go down in value.”

“Does that reason also include Madame Miyawaki, ex Chairwoman of Miwaki bank.”, Sakura froze at Chaewon’s question. She took a glance back at the hospital door.

“What do you want?”, Sakura coldly replied.

“Ms Ahn thought that Ahn Pharma can provide you with our service in making the most out of you object or should I say Ms 001.”

“And what do you want in return?”

“We are just looking for an opportunity to look at how Ms 001 obtained her ability.”

“I know how you guys work. You guys promise to provide your service but after the job is done, you will keep whatever you have gathered and use it for your own good.”

“We like to think of it as “residual interest” from our clients’ investment in us.”

“Either way. I am not desperate to be working with you. I can get the help I need from somewhere else.”, Chaewon lips pulled into a thin line after hearing Sakura’s answer. She had failed to negotiate with Sakura.

“I’m sorry to hear that but I hope that we will be hearing a more favourable response from you in the answer. Have a good day Ms Miyawaki.”

“Goodbye, Ms Kim.”, Sakura hang up and headed back inside her grandma’s room.
---
“What did Nako say?”, Yena asked the girl who just hung up the phone.

“She said that I can meet with Ms Miyawaki today. Thank you, Ms Choi, for completing your part of the deal.”, the girl responded. She then packed away the documents scattered on the table into her briefcase. Before she stood up, Yena asked:

“Who side are you rooting for?”, Yena asked.

“Whoever that can give Subject 001 the best outcome.”

“Sakura is so gonna kill me if she finds out.”, Yena sighed. Yena went ahead and opened the door of her office for the girl. 

“We have only ever talked over the phone and this is the first time we have met in person. I just realised that I don’t even know your name.”

“Call me Wonyoung.”, the girl took one last bow and left the office.