A Helping Hand

The Price of Immortality

“It’s getting late, you should get some rest.”, Sakura patted Minjoo’s head and slowly headed to the door. She was about to flick off the light switch when Minjoo asked:

“Could…could you leave the lights on?”

“Sure.”, Sakura took her hand off the light switch.

“Goodnight Ms. Miyawaki.”

“Call me Sakura. Goodnight Minjoo.”, Sakura nodded and closed the door. She walked back to her own bedroom. Once she sat down on the bed, Sakura let out a long sigh. She didn’t realise a conversation could be that draining. She failed to notice the fear and sadness behind Minjoo’s eyes, taking the vacant look for granted. 

She went to sleep imagining a pink cloud being ripped apart by its own lightning.

---

Morning came and Sakura begrudgingly got out of bed. She dragged her feet to the kitchen and poured herself a glass of water when a voice caught her off guard:

“Good morning Sakura.”, Minjoo greeted.

“Eek!”, Sakura spun around to see Minjoo standing a few steps behind her. She had been living by herself for so long that hearing another person’s voice freaked her out.

“I’m sorry. I’ll walk louder so next time, you’ll know that I’m coming.”, Minjoo slightly bowed at Sakura.

“Ah um, it’s OK. I’m used to have this place being empty. Having another person living here would be a nice change.”, the two awkwardly stood there for a while until Sakura broke the silence.

“I’ll go get ready and I’ll come back to make breakfast.”, Sakura put down her glass and went back to her room. When she had brushed her teeth and got change, she came back to see Minjoo still standing where she was before.

“Ah you should take a seat here.”, Sakura pulled out a chair from the kitchen’s island. Minjoo sat on the chair and watched Sakura whisked some eggs to make scrambled egg. Sakura popped in two toasts in the toaster oven. When the toasts were done, Sakura put them on two plates and put the scrambled egg on top of each toast.

“Come, we’ll eat over there.”, Sakura walked over to the dining room and placed the plates at the head of the table. Minjoo sat down on the chair next to the top one.

“It’s too dark in here. Let me pull the blinds out for a bit.”, Sakura went over to the window and pulled the blinds aside. When she turned around, Minjoo had shifted down the table by 3 seats.

“Um…are you uncomfortable sitting next to me?”, Sakura asked.

“No…it’s just that sunlight is dangerous for me.”, Minjoo answered. Sakura was still confused so Minjoo started pulling down the collar of her dress.

“Wait wait wait! Don’t do that.”, Sakura stopped Minjoo’s hand from pulling the collar any lower. Sakura ears were beet red.

“Look.”, Minjoo pointed to a couple of moles near her collarbone. 

“They have faded over time but when they first appeared, Dr Eunbi completely freaked out.”, Minjoo chuckled at the memory.

---

Eunbi and Minjoo went over the same check-up they have gone through a thousand time before.

“Open wide.”, Minjoo opened at Eunbi’s request. Eunbi held Minjoo’s chin as she examined . Eunbi then pointed the flashlight to Minjoo’s eyes.

“Follow the light for me.”, Eunbi traced the light left and right then up and down for Minjoo’s eyes to track. Eunbi turned off the flashlight and turned to her reports.

“Normal as usual?”, Minjoo asked.

“Hm, seemed like it.”, Eunbi nodded back, “OK, I just need to check your heart rate and we’ll be done.”, Eunbi grabbed the stethoscope and pressed it against Minjoo’s chest.

“Do you feel anything different lately?”

“I sometimes feel out of breath when I run.”

“OK, could you take off your top so I can hear your lungs better.”, Minjoo nodded and started undoing her top buttons. Eunbi moved the stethoscope around while asking Minjoo to hum to see if there were any wheezing from the lungs. Eunbi just lifted the stethoscope from the top of Minjoo’s bone when she noticed two small brown dots from where the stethoscope was.

“Were these always here?”, Eunbi looked at Minjoo. Minjoo tried to glance down but couldn’t see the dots.

“I can’t see what you’re pointing at.”

“These moles. Were they always here?”, Eunbi ran her finger over the dots, hoping Minjoo would say yes.

“I’m not sure. I don’t think so?”

“Hmm.”,  Eunbi thought deeply on what to do next. She must think of the worse scenario. 

“Minjoo, I need you to stop going out to the yard and avoid both direct and indirect sunlight as much as possible. Here, I’ll prescribe you some vitamin D so you wouldn’t need to go outside.”, Eunbi hurriedly scribbled her requests for Minjoo in her profile.

“But, but,.”, Minjoo wanted to protest since she didn’t get much free time outside. Not going to the yard would mean she would have to stay inside all the time.

“No but. I’ll also refer you to a dermatologist to hear their diagnosis.”, Eunbi said sternly.

---

“Why did she freaked out?”, Sakura asked.

“She thought that they could have been signs of cancer.”, upon closer inspection, Minjoo’s skin was so fair that it looked like it has never spent a day under the sun.

“For a second I thought you were going to say that you are a vampire.”, Sakura joked and Minjoo chuckled as well.

“I’ll just sit there then.”, Sakura grabbed her plate at the head of the table and moved it to the seat next to Minjoo’s current one.

---

After breakfast, Sakura headed to her ’office’ where she was organising some reports from piles of different paperwork on her other dining table. Minjoo silently watched as Sakura confusedly shuffled between stacks of paper, trying to find what went where.

“Do you need any help?”, Minjoo asked.

“No I’m good.”, Sakura replied. She was about to staple a stack of paper when Minjoo chimed in:

“Those are from different contracts.”

“Wait, how do you know?”

“The terms are different.”, Sakura looked back and the papers did have different terms and conditions. Sakura ruffled her hair in frustration:

“Agh! I can’t remember what goes where. I should have organised them went they were first brought in.”, Minjoo scanned over the piles of documents and some were covered in dust while some have already started to yellow.

“What if you organise them by months first and then looking through each month?”

“Yeah that’s a good idea.”, Sakura looked back at the mountain of work and decided that she really did need some help.

“I’ll take January to June and you can do July to December. Any overlap between the two ranges, we can put in the middle.”, Sakura delegated the work between Minjoo and herself. The two of them managed to go through the paperwork quite quickly. They were silently working away when the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it.”, Sakura stood and went to the front door. She greeted the guest when she opened the door:

“Hey Hyewon. Long time no see.”, Sakura gave Hyewon a quick hug at the door.

“Long time no see you too, Sakura.”

“Come in. Come in.”, Sakura gestured Hyewon to come inside. While Hyewon was taking her shoes off, Sakura asked:

“And what do I owe the pleasure of your visit today?”

“Do I need a reason to see my best friend?”, Hyewon answered, “And I heard that you bought something from Yena and it was quite a purchase.”, Sakura nodded. News really did travel fast and far.

“I did but you know I can spare a few changes.”, Hyewon lightly punched Sakura’s shoulder.

“Said the heiress of a bank.”

The two of them walked back inside and Hyewon slowed down when she took a glance at Minjoo.

“Is that her?”, Hyewon whispered.

“Yes, and why are you whispering?”, Sakura answered in a hushed tone.

“I don’t know. This is my first time seeing a superhero in real life.”

“She’s not a superhero.”

“You’re telling me regenerating chopped up limbs is normal?”, Sakura rolled her eyes at Hyewon’s fangirling over Minjoo.

“What’s is she doing?”

“She’s stapling some contracts together.”, the two of them stood in silence for a while before Hyewon spoke:

“So last night you spent a trillion dollar on a superhuman who essentially carries the elixir of life and you’re having her stapling paperwork.”

“Yep.”

“You bought a trillion dollar stapler.”

“Hey, she’s really good at stapling paper.”

“…Nako was right, you spend too much money buying useless craps.”

“Hey! Minjoo is not useless!”

“Well, you’re making her doing meaningless tasks…What I am trying to say is, I think you are not making the most out of Minjoo’s capability.”, the two looked back at Minjoo diligently working away, too focused to notice that Sakura had been gone for a while.

“Are you busy today?”, Hyewon asked.

“No, I have the week off.”

“Are you planning to visit her this week?”

“I am but I haven’t picked a day yet.”

“Does she know about Minjoo?”

“…No, and I’m planning to keep it that way.”, Sakura started walking toward the desk when Hyewon grabbed her sleeve.

“Sakura, you know that she doesn’t want any help. Stop tormenting yourself over this.”

“I’m just doing what you told me to do.”, Sakura glanced back at Minjoo, “Making the most out of her.”

 

A/N
Throwback to Stapler Minjoo, one of my personal favourite impression :v