The Auction

The Price of Immortality

The sound of heels clacking reverberated across the dark hallway. The woman leading ahead was followed by an entourage of bodyguards and a secretary. A massive double door opened at the end, welcoming the group of people into a large hall. When the woman stepped foot inside the hall, the crowd turned silent and quietly observed her entourage walking pass them. The woman walked straight toward a small group that was huddling in front of the main spectacle of the night. The people of the group sensed her presence and discreetly stepped away, leaving behind the host of the event.

“I thought you wouldn’t come.”, the host grabbed the woman’s hand and placed a kiss on it.

“Oh, save the pleasantry, Yena.”, the woman coldly replied.

“You do know how exclusive invites to my auctions are, right?”, Yena drew her lip tightly, slightly offended at the woman’s response.

“And you do know how much I am willing to spend, right?”, the woman replied.

“Yes, yes, of course. I can only host these auctions because of lavish bidders like you.”

“When will it begin?”, the woman turned to look at the stage behind Yena.

“Soon, soon. I know you missed dinner but we are still having cocktails. I need as much alcohol in everyone’s system as possible for them to equally spill as many coins.”, Yena knowingly winked at the woman. A waiter walked by and Yena grabbed two glasses from his tray.

“Would you like one?”, Yena offered a glass to the woman.

“I would like to stay sober just in case you try to pull something under my nose.”

“And why would you say that?”

“You have not disclosed the main item of tonight. I don’t know if you are playing tricks or you indeed have in possession something for me worth bidding for.”

“Let’s just say I had some…difficulty pricing this item.”, Yena raised a knowing eyebrow at the woman and turned to head toward the stage. 

“She is definitely pulling some tricks on me.”, the woman muttered.

Yena walked toward the centre of the stage and lightly tapped the microphone stand. The light thudding caught the guests’ attention and everyone turned to look at the stage.

“Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for coming to my auction tonight. I hope you have all had your fill over dinner and is buzzing from the cocktail. Don’t worry, dinner ended but cocktail is still going for the rest of the evening.”, the guests laughed at Yena’s joke. Yena snapped a finger and the waiters started walking around the guests carrying trays of signs

“Please grab a number sign from the staff which are walking around.”, the guests started picking the signs from the waiters

“If you have specific number in mind, just ask one of our staff and we will retrieve it for you.”, Yena turned to look at the woman where one of her waiter had handed her a number sign.

Zero.

“Why does she always request for that number?”, a guest quietly whispered to his friend.

“Don’t you know. She is the Queen of Zeroes. She can outbid anyone.”, the other guest answered. The both of them looked at the Queen of Zeroes, surrounded by her guards.

“Let’s hope that we won’t have to compete with her.”

“Agree.”

Once everyone had got a sign, Yena headed toward the podium to the side and banged the gavel.

“Let the auction. Begin!”

To the guests’ relief, the Queen of Zeroes remained unmoving throughout the auction. Everyone was scared of how daringly high she could bid and was glad that they didn’t have to worry of a strong opponent. Yena continued to enthusiastically shout and cheer throughout the night. She knew that the odd paintings and the gems here and there weren’t the main goal of the Queen. Even company acquisitions and exclusive contracts had the Queen unfazed. She scanned the crowd and noticed some of her other guests have been refraining from bidding as well. 

“The lions are waiting for the jackals to have their fill over chum before coming for the main course.”, Yena thought. She caught the Queen’s gaze and noticed how irritable she was becoming.

“I better bring it out soon then.”, Yena nodded toward the Queen and whispered an order to her staff to prepare the final item.

“Are you all enjoying the auction?”, Yena asked the crowd. Some happily cheered back while other remained gloomy.

“I know that some of you have been more successful as bidding than other.”, Yena turned to look at the grumpy faces who had failed to outbid.

“But this last item we have here tonight, dare I say…priceless.”, the word caught the crowd attention. Yena snapped her finger to have her staff bring out the last item. The crowd gasped as a girl was brought out on stage. The Queen sat up from her seat and leaned forward to get a better look at the girl. Her bubblegum pick hair cascaded down her face and ended at the sleeves of her white dress. Her fair skin was pristine from any mark or blemishes. 

“Some of you might have heard of Project Eternal…”, the mentioned of the project turned the hall silent.

“…where a group of researchers, employed by a few companies, was set out on the task of developing a cure for human ageing.”

“After years of gruelling research and countless experiments, they have successfully procured a drug to stop ageing.”

“The drug was stuff from fairy tale but the war waged because of it was definitely not.”, some heads nodded in response.

“The companies that once partnered together turned against one another and fought until their empires crumbles, along with Project Eternal.”

“We all thought that everything was lost. No researchers were found alive and all known documents relating to the project were gone…Until today.”, Yena turned to point toward the girl.

“Project Eternal’s first and last remaining specimen, Subject 001!”

“Lies!”, a patron stood up and shouted. Yena turned to look at the accusing guest.

“Project Eternal was stuff out of fiction! Even if it was real, how do you have any proof that who is standing on stage is all that remained when you yourself said no documents or person relating to the project remained today?”, some other guests murmured in agreement.

“I am sorry madam for you to think falsely of my claim. I would never introduce an item without…proof of evidence to accompanied with.”, Yena then walked toward the girl.

“Could you please extend your hands out for me?”, Yena asked. The girl stretched out her hands. A waiter walked out on stage and offered Yena something on his tray. The crowd gasped in horror as Yena picked up a knife and sliced the girls’ hands off. The hall erupted into chaos at the sight of two hands laying on stage, blood splattered all over the girl’s dress. Amidst the chaos, the Queen was surprised to see the girl being expressionless, even after having her hands cut off.

“Wait look!”, someone pointed toward the stage. Everyone turned to look and was amazed at the sight. Bones started sprouting out from the girl’s wrists, wrapped in tendons and covered in strings of muscles. The layers kept building up until a layer of skin sealed everything up, leaving behind a pair of hands perfectly identical to the one on the ground. Yena seemed satisfied with the tension being built up. She casually walked back to the podium and banged her gave:

“Bidding starts at five hundred millions.”, and the whole crowd raised their signs and shouted out their bids.