The Bidding

The Price of Immortality

“Six hundred!”, the offer had some bidders pulled out.

“Six hundred from number 84!”

“Seven hundred!”, someone immediately counteracted.

“Seven hundred from number 37!”

“Nine hundred!”, number 84 retaliated. Number 37 reconsidered raising their price. Some other guests discussed among themselves if they want to join in on the bidding war.

“Seven hundred going once…going twice…”

“One billion!”, the Queen raised her voice. The other guest were shocked at the Queen sudden involvement.

“One billion from number 0!”, Yena excitedly exclaimed. The new addition made number 84 and 37 nervous. The Queen scanned the crowd, satisfied with their hesitation.

“One billion going once…”

“Two billions!”, a new voice emerged. The whole room turned to the source to see a shoulder-length haired woman confidently raising her sign. The new bidder shot a wink at the crowd.

“Two billions from number 22! What about you, number 84 and 37?”, Yena turned to the first two bidders. The both of them begrudgingly pulled down their numbers. Now the fight was between number 0 and number 22.

“Number 0?”, Yena turned to the Queen. The Queen simply spread out five fingers and nodded at Yena.

“Five billions from number 0!”, the two bidders were eyeing each other, gauging each other move.

“Nako, who the heck is she?”, the Queen whispered to her secretary.

“Ma’am, she is the recent heiress to Ahn Pharmaceutical.”, the secretary replied.

“Ah, young money. OK, let’s see how long is she willing to put up the fight.”

“Do I hear ten billions? Ten?”, both bidder casually raised their numbers.

“Fifteen? Do I hear a fifteen?”, both numbers raised up simultaneously.

“OK! Let’s go up to thirty! Do I hear a thirty?”, Yena doubled the price, relishing on the competition. The same thing happened as both numbers went up, the bidders never once broke eye contact from each other.

“One hundred!”, number 22 exclaimed. The whole was shocked to see this young gun going head on with the Queen. The Queen nodded at the heiress bold move. The secretary turned to the Queen:

“Ma’am, I think the heiress is trying to taunt us. I advise you to drop the bid.”, 

“She’s just trying to intimidate me. I won’t let her gloat on her little attempt like that.”

“But ma’am…”

“I’ll cap it at five hundred. Don’t worry.”, the Queen reassured her secretary.

“Since the price had been drastically raised. I would like to offer both bidders the chance to come up to inspect the item first hand.”, Yena announced.

“Number 22. Would you like to go first?”

“Sure, why not.”, the heiress answered. She made her way toward the stage, the sea of people split into two for her. Some were looking at her in awe while other in disgust, unimpressed by the young billionaire. She tentatively walked toward the girl, looking back and forth at the detached hands and the newly grown ones. 

“Can I pick this up?”, the heiress turned to Yena.

“That’s fine.”, the heiress picked up the left hand on the ground and hold the girl’s left hand.

“You have very soft hands.”, the heiress looked directly at the expressionless girl.

“But this one is warmer.”, the crowd was shocked to see the heiress pulling the girl’s hand in for a kiss. The heiress was expecting to illicit a reaction from the other girl but her face remained unchanged.

“Can I take a hand for thirty?”, the heiress joked.

“Sorry ma’am but they all come in one set. All or nothing.”

“Aish, it’s not like she’s gonna miss one.”, the heiress chuckled and made her way back to her seat.

“Number 0. Would you like to make your way down to the stage?”, Yena turned to the Queen. The Queen gave a curt nod back and headed toward the stage. She circled around the girl a few time before asking Yena:

“Can I request for another demonstration?”

“I would ask you to refrain from doing so since I would like to clean up less.”, the Queen hummed in acknowledge of Yena’s reasonable excuse and made her way back to her seat.

“OK! Now that our bidders have had a closer look at the item, let’s continue the auction! One hundred! One hundred going once…going twice…”

“Two hundred!”, the Queen shouted. The heiress eyes slightly twitched at the Queen’s price.

“Two fifty!”, the heiress shouted back, jaw clenching.

“Two fifty from number 22! Do I hear a three hundred from number 0?”

“Five hundred.”, the Queen answered. The crowd was in awe.

“Five hundred from number 0! Five hundred!”, Yena turned to see the heiress was hesitanting to raise her number.

“Five hundred! Going once…going twice…going…”

“Eight hundred!”, the heiress screamed, no longer keeping her cool. 

“Eight hundred from number 22! Eight hundred!”

“Ma’am, it’s time to tap out.”, the secretary turned to the Queen but to her dismay, the Queen was simply staring at the girl on stage, not bothered by her reminder.

“One trillion,”, the Queen announced in finality. The whole room gasped in horror of the Queen’s calmness at laying down her offer. The heiress was at a loss for word. The Queen was enjoying the flustered look on her opponent’s face. 

“Ma’am!”, the secretary tried to suppress her shriek.

“One trillion from number 0!”, even Yena was shocked. She did not expect for the bid to be up this high. Yena could see the heiress put down her number in defeat.

“One trillion going once…going twice…Sold, to number 0!”, Yena triumphantly banged her gavel. The crowd erupted into an applause for the Queen of Zeroes.

“Thank you ladies and gentlemen for joining tonight exciting auction! Could all buyers meet our staff at the end of the evening to discuss payment and receive your item. And thank you once again for your contributions to tonight bidding!”, Yena concluded.