Subject 002

The Price of Immortality

2nd of March, 2005

It was Eunbi’s first day at the lab. She was sitting by her desk, writing down her observation of the last patient.

“Subject: 001
Age: 7
Start date of treatment: 19/04/02

Subject 001 exhibits no physiological changes. Rate of wound recovery remained the same. Recommend increasing antioxidant dosage.”, Eunbi finished writing her comments in the patient’s profile.

“Who’s next for the check-up?”, she asked the nurse by the door.

“Subject 002, Dr Eunbi.”

“OK, bring her in.”, the nurse went out and brought back a little girl with straight black hair. Her head hung low as she timidly walked toward Eunbi. Eunbi took a quick look at her profile:

Subject: 002
Age: 4
Start date of treatment: 01/01/05

“Hi. What’s your name?”, Eunbi asked. The girl remained quiet. Eunbi could see that the girl was a little bit frightened so she asked the nurse to leave them alone for the time being. When it was only the two of them, Eunbi continued:

“Could you please look up for me?”, Eunbi asked softly. The girl slowly looked up, fearful eyes staring back at Eunbi.

“Could I have a look at your arms?”, the girl immediately put her arms behind her back and took a few steps back.

“No…please no.”, the girl whimpered.

“Hey. It’s OK. I’m just taking a look.”, Eunbi tried to reassure the girl but she still looked sceptical.

“I won’t make any cuts.”, Eunbi promised. The girl still looked sceptical but she slowly walked back to Eunbi and pulled out her arms. Eunbi traced the evenly spaced cuts on both arms, five on each. Each incision was deeper by one millimetre the higher they were on the forearm. 

“Does it hurt?”, Eunbi asked before tracing the deeper cuts. The girl nodded.

“I’ll be gentler then.”, the girl nodded and Eunbi proceeded.

“When did you have these cuts?”, Eunbi asked.

“Yesterday.”, the girl answered. The deeper cuts were still inflamed and had a thin layer of scab over them but the ones closers to the wrists were pretty much healed. Eunbi could barely make out the lines of the first cuts. She turned around to type in her observation:

After 24 hours, 1 millimetre incisions showed complete recovery. 2 and 3 millimetres showed no inflammation and are still healing. 4 and 5 millimetres exhibits inflammation and are still healing. 

“Do I have to get more cuts?”, the girl timidly asked. 

“That is not up to me to decide.”, Eunbi answered.

“…Why do I have to get more cuts?”, Eunbi paused for a moment, choosing her words wisely.

“Because you are helping for a greater cause.”, Eunbi answered. The girl remained confused so she elaborated.

“Do you know what happen when people get sick?”, Eunbi asked.

“They become weak and tired. Sometimes so tired that they fall asleep for a very long time.”, Eunbi nodded at the girl’s answer. 

“And what if they can’t get better?”, Eunbi asked.

“They sleep…forever.”, the girl was no stranger to death.

“Do you know anyone who have slept forever?”

“…My parents.”, Eunbi placed her hands on the girl’s shoulders and continued.

“Everyone here had lost their parents, for one reason or another. I have also lost my parents.”, the girl was surprised by Eunbi’s response.

“Are you sad that your parents are dead?”, the girl slowly nodded.

“Me too. And many people around the world also feel the same way. We all wish that the people we love will come back but that’s not possible.”

“The reason that you are here is to help people from ever feeling sad again. To help prevent people from getting sick and falling asleep forever.”

“You and many more kids had been selected because you have…superpowers. Superpowers that will help us find the cure for that.”

“I have superpower?”, the girl asked.

“Yes, you do.”, Eunbi traced her fingers over the healed cuts. The girl gave a little smile.

“Do you have superpower?”

“Not like yours, no.”, Eunbi shook her head.

“Then why are you here?”

“I’m here to…improve your superpower. Here you see.”, Eunbi rolled up her sleeve.

“I had this cut two years ago.”, Eunbi pointed to a small scar on her forearm.

“I was cutting some vegetables when the knife slipped and I cut myself. The cut was as deep as yours over here.”, Eunbi pointed to where the healed cuts were on the girl’s arms.

“While yours completely healed, mine didn’t. And it even left a scar. I want to have your superpower.”, Eunbi poked the girl’s arm and she giggled. The girl seemed more relaxed now.

“How long have you been here?”

“3 months.”

“Woah. That’s way longer than I have. Today is my first day.”, the girl felt at ease through how friendly Eunbi seemed. The two talked for a bit while Eunbi continued with her check-up. Their conversation was cut short when a nurse barge in.

“Doctor! Subject 001 is having a shock!”, the nurse shouted. Eunbi immediately stood up and ran after her. The little girl was slightly dazed from the sudden announcement but after the door was closed, she slowly walked up to it and followed the echoed shouting down the hall. The closer she got to the commotion, the louder the quickening beeping sounded.

“Her heart rate is going up!”, the nurse said.

“Her airway is constricting! Quick, inject her with epinephrin!”, Eunbi shouted. The nurse grabbed an epipen and stabbed it into the girl’s arm. As her breath became narrower, more blue veins started etching on her skin. 

“Hhugh!”, her eyes got redder and tears started streaming down as she tried to breathe. 

“I need you to stay calm. Do you hear me? Calm. Breathe through your mouth”, Eunbi placed a clear plastic bag over but the girl’s breath only got shallower as her heart rate climbed up. Both the doctor and the nurse panicked when the rapid waves were replaced with a long beep.

“Pass me the defibrillator!”, Eunbi said as she scrambled to the patient’s shirt. The nurse grabbed the defibrillator from under the bed and handed it to Eunbi. The nurse pumped a line of gel over the surface of the defibrillator and Eunbi pressed the two sides together before placing it on the patient’s chest.

“Clear!”, Eunbi pressed the trigger and the patient’s body jolted from the current. The ECG remained flat.

“Clear!”. Flat

“Clear!”. Flat.

“Clear!”. Flat. Eunbi continued to shock but nothing changed. After 2 minutes of futile effort to revive the girl, the nurse went and grabbed the chart on the front of the girl’s bed.

“Subject passed away at 10:34 am.”, the nurse pronounce her death. Eunbi let go of the defibrillator and slowly walked back. She could not believed that she let a patient die on her first day at work. 

“Don’t worry about it. This happens a lot.”, the nurse reassured Eunbi. Eunbi looked up at her in disbelief. How is having patients dying a normal thing. The nurse turned to the door and saw Subject 002 was peering behind the doorframe. 

“Congrats. You’re promoted.”, the nurse said to the girl.

“What do you mean? Promoted to what?”, Eunbi looked at the two of them in confusion. The girl remained quiet and looked down at the ground guiltily. The nurse turned to Eunbi and said:

“Promoted to Subject 001.”