Chapter 04

While we are sleeping

 

Nikki entered the house dragging her bag behind her. It has been a long day for her. She was exhausted both physically and mentally. Add to that she felt her nose twitching every 5 seconds awaiting a big sneeze for the past hour. It was all thanks to Julie. She had dragged her to the cafeteria which was on the other side of the campus in the middle of an 'unexpected shower', just to get a 'nice mind freezing strawberry yoghurt'. Well now Nikki's mind was literally frozen. But she can't really blame Julie as she was the one who agreed to her ridiculous idea willingly to distract her mind from her sort of dream. All day long she was thinking about all kinds of possibilities how it could have happened. Maybe her strong attraction towards nct led her to imagine it all, but then why not Taeyong. ‘He was my eternal crush. Why was Doyoung the main character of my imagination/ dream? 

She dropped her bag somewhere in the living room and dropped herself on the living room couch coughing in a little bit exaggerating way. All she needed now was to have a good shower and sleep until she can't stay on the bed any longer. She contemplated between taking a little nap on the couch and seeing if it'll take her to Doyoung or taking her much needed shower before anything as her body was all sticky with rain and sweat. After tossing around for almost 5 minutes she decided to take a shower and become a 'decent being'. 

Walking out from her bathroom clad in a pijama bottom and an oversized tshirt, she grabbed her phone and jumped on the metres bouncing a few times. It was still too early to go to bed but she knew if she did not get atleast 8 hours of sleep, she'll probably collapse the next day. And also a little voice in her head reminded her of her little adventure in Doyoungs dorm room making her stomach flip with anticipation.

Now that she was laying on the bed all her exhaustion had disappeared into thin air. She still had too much energy left in her body, it was hard to fall asleep. Maybe it was because of the odd hour. She scrolled down her twitter account trying to catch up on some latest gossip waiting for sleep to come.

"Ummm... Hi" It was his voice. Her fingers paused atonce hovering above her phone screen. It was too dark as the lights were switched off but she could clearly see the outline of a person standing beside the window. She just stared at the figure unblinking. 

"Can you atleast turn the lights on?" He sasked sounding both impatient and stiff. Nikki reached across the bed and switched the bedside lamp on. Whole room lighted with a unpleasant yellow colour. Doyoung scrunched his face at the sudden bright light in his face. 

"Ughhh.... Don't you have... umm.. some other lamp... which is not yellow?" He asked carefully trying not offend her. It really felt a little scary with that yellow light in her cramped bedroom.

"Oh... sorry, I don't usually... use this lamp.. I forgot to change.. the bulb.. I'll turn the other light.." Nikki stumbled around the bed trying to get her legs away from the tangled bed sheets, almost falling face first on the floor and finally reaching the switch.  "....on"

Doyoung looked at her with an unexplainable expression. He scanned her room lingering his eyes on the 2 big posters, one of NCT and one of Taeyong. When she realised where he was staring at, heat started to creep up her neck.

"....so you're a fan?" It was more of a question than a statement. 
"haha... yeah" 
".....taeyong fan?" 
"Ye...s"

It was quite after that for a moment. Doyoung kept on with his scanning. Nikki felt a little uncomfortable.

"Were you sleeping?" Nikki tried to change the subject as discreetly as possible. Doyoung turned to face her with a questioning look which she did not know how to respond to.

"I was wondering why is this happening to.... us?" Doyoung looked at her like she would have all the answers he needed. When Nikki did not say anything for that he pressed on giving her an accusing look. "Is this some kind of a witchcraft?" 


"I.. I don't know... How am I suppose to know that? All I know is that when we are sleeping we go to each others spaces. I know nothing more than that." she replied defensively. Doyoung stared at her for a few seconds and sighed loudly deflating his shoulders in a sulking way. 

"But why?? How do we connect? I mean only you can see me. There has to be some explanation. It's not like I'm a ghost or an alien" Doyoung sounded distressed. It was obvious that he too was very exhausted. He turned his gaze towards her to see her gaping at him. 

"What?" 
"You are not... right?" 
"Not what?" 
"a ghost?.......... or an alien?" 
It was Doyoungs turn to gape at her. An incredulous snort kind of thing escaped his mouth.

 "Are you nuts? Do you really think NCTs Doyoung is an alien?"
Nikki felt embarrassed to be scolded by him like that. She's not the best at jokes. "Sorry that was lame" 

Doyoung walked around her room checking every corner. Nikki felt like her room was being inspected by a dorm leader or something. She nervously sat on the edge of her bed.
"Did you tell anyone that you saw me?" He asked taking a seat on the old couch in her room. It dipped down a little, Doyoung balanced himself quickly like nothing happened. 

"No I didn't, my friends already think I'm crazy. If I tell them that you were in front of my house, they'll surely take me to a hospital. Haha.." She stopped her awkward laugh when she saw Doyoungs expressionless face. 
"Hmmm... I didn't either, hyung is worried enough."
They fell into a comfortable silence both lost in their own thoughts. 

"Ahhh... Can you really not touch things? Last time I hit my head on the door, but after that when I tried to open the door my hand went through the handle” Doyoung said touching his forehead lightly. 

"Well I walked through a door at your dorm. I could not touch anything. When did you hit your head?" Nikki asked curiously. 
"In tha..." He paused abruptly. 
"What?" 
"In that.... changing room" 
"huh?" 
Doyoung looked around taking interest in anything other than Nikki. She looked around cluelessly. What changing room?

“ohhhh… you were that..? You were that ert who watched me change?” Nikki asked pointing at him accusingly.
”Hey….. I did not watch you change. When I opened my eyes I was in some small room and some girl was changing her cloths. I did not went their voluntarily.” He spat out defensively. They stared at each other, one anxiously one disbelievingly.

“Whaever..” Doyoung huffed and turned to the other side.


“So how do we go back? Do we have to wait till we wake up,... This is boring.” He said starting to walk around the room again. Nikki felt like she was responsible for Doyoungs boredom. He was her guest afterall.
“Maybe we can watch some TV” She suggested nervously. Doyoung did not say anything for a second and then turned around and walked towards the door shrugging. “Okay..”

 

They settled on the opposite ends of the couch pressed to the armrests. Some random cartoon was playing on the TV. Awkwardness was flowing in the air suffocating her.  She contemplated asking him what he’d like to drink because she was not sure if he could eat or drink anything. If he could not touch anything how is it possible to eat something? So she kept her thoughts to herself not wanting to make a fool out of herself for the second time. 

After about 15 minutes she was getting horribly sleepy. She could not keep her eyes opened no matter how hard she pinched her thighs. Her head was swirling around like crazy.

“You know if you are sleepy you could just go and sleep?” Doyoung said looking at her amusingly.

“huh? Uh..?” She jolted upwards at his voice and looked around dumbly.
“You can go and sleep” Doyoung repeated. “No no.. I’m good. I was watching this. Haha..” She said hastily squinting her eyes at the bright light of the TV screen. Doyoung waited for a few seconds and shrugged. 
“Suit yourself.” He said adjusting to a more comfortable position. Nikki slapped her cheeks a few times. It was gonna be a long evening.

 

****************


Nikki woke up some where in the middle of the night. Her neck and back were sore from staying in a bad position for a long time. She scrunched her eyes at the light coming from the big TV screen. She looked around trying to figure out where she was. The only light source was the TV.

She remembered the sudden appearance of Doyoung and the small talk at her bedroom and the TV watching session. She turned her head hurriedly, she almost heard the loud cracking of her sore bones. Doyoung was not there anymore. He was gone. She sighed loudly rubbing her eyes. Her brain was not processing in the right way. She turned the TV off and dragged her feet back to her room to continue her sleep. Anything else will have to wait till tomorrow.


*****************


Nikki dropped her bag on the floor beside Julies seat and dropped herself on her seat with a loud thud.
“Morning to you too..” Julie said casually sliding her morning coffee towards Nikki. “hmmmm…. Thanks” She said taking a long sip from it and sliding it back to her. 

“You don’t deserve my kindness. You ditched me yesterday you traitor.” Julie said not taking her eyes away from her phone screen. “I said I’m soooorryyyy…” Nikki said latching herself to Julies upper arm and rubbing her nose on her shirt. 

"Go away idiot, Don’t rub your snot on me” Julie said pushing her away playfully. Nikki laughed at that and pulled her books out of her bag. She saw a pair of legs approaching her bag from the corner of her eyes. 

“Excuse me... May I sit here?” Nikki looked up still bending over seat reaching for her bag. It was Jason again. He was smilling at her sweetly. “Y…yeah sure” She said scooting towards Julie to make room for Jason. Julie nudged her hardly wiggling her eyebrows crazily. Nikki tried to shrug it off but it came out as a awkward lifting of her shoulders.
Jason settled on his seat and pulled his books out giving another sweet smile to Nikki. Then he turned towards her again with a expression saying ‘Oh I just remembered’.
“Are you feeling okay today? You looked exhausted yesterday.” He said giving her a concerned look. For a moment she was not even sure if he was talking to her.

“Ye..yeah I’m feeling better today. Haha…” Just as she ended her sentence with an awkward laugh her good for nothing body decided it would be the best time for a loud sneeze. She did not even had time to process anything, the next moment when she opened her eyes again all her sheets that were lying on the desk before, were scattered all around the floor. This day could not get any worse.
 
“Wow… That’s one loud sneeze.” Jason said laughing whole heartedly. Nikki could not tell If he was laughing at her because he found it funny or because he found her stupid. When he saw her staring at the ground with a scrunched up face he knew she took it the wrong way. 

“Im sorry I didnt mean to offend you. Its just cute.” This time she was staring at his face with big round eyes and tomato cheeks. He gave her a small smile and started picking up the papers one by one. 

“Ummm.. Are you free tomorrow after class? I would like to grab a coffee with you.” He said scratching the back of his neck sheepishly after placing the sheets before her. If Nikkis face was red before now it turned into a whole different shade of crimson, quite similar to the Bunsen burner flame of Lithium.

“E…Eh? Me?...” She stuttered out looking down shyly. Jason gave her an encouraging smile nodding his head lightly. She stuttered out a 'yeah' in a small voice. It was a miracle that Jason heard it. His smile turned to a big full of teeth one.

“Okay I’m looking forward to it then...”