Chapter 02

While we are sleeping

Kim Doyoung was standing in front of her front door wearing pijamas. Nikki was frozen on the spot literally. She was gaping at him mesmerised by his handsome face and in return Doyoung too was starting at him with his rabbit eyes bigger than 2 joseon era coins. It was like the world has stopped moving. Everything was still.

After a long minute of staring at each other Doyoung took a shaky step back almost hitting his back against the door. He looked around himself like he was caught doing something illegal and the police would be coming around the corner any second.

"Wh... Who... are you?" he asked cautiously unsure of himself. He looked like a comic book character with his mouth and eyes wide open. There were a train of thoughts running inside Nikki's head at the moment.
'Doyoung.. NCT.. Kim Doyoung.. Here.. In front of my house... wearing pijamas.. he's looking at me.. his lips are moving.. wow... So pretty... he's talking... to me.."
Nikki was not sure if she was breathing properly but at the moment it did not seem necessary. Doyoung seemed even more confused by her lack of response. Then suddenly he leaned back and closed his eyes as to seem deep in thought.

"Ah I'm dreaming again right?.... Of course l am. Maybe hyung was right I should definitely see a doctor." He clutched his head with both hands humouring his own words.
All the while Nikki was staring at him with eyes and mouth wide open. She almost looked like a fish taken out of water, ALMOST.

 "Kim Doyoung...." Nikki mumbled in a daze, mouth still wide open.

"Kim Doyoung is standing in front of my house in pijamas...... Bunny pijamas.." she whispered the last part like it was supposed to be some dark secret. 
She reached her hand out pointing her finger at him, it reminded her of the scene in ET. Doyoung took a cautious step back and this time his back hit the door. She poked at his upper arm once. and then again. And hen again. "Impossible.." she whispered to herself.

 Then suddenly the door opened behind Doyoungs back. He jumped on spot almost hitting his head on the door frame.
"Oh you are here. I was waiting for you actually." Her roommate Katie said casually like it was not a big deal that she's talking to a world famous kpop idol whose probably even more famous than Barack Obama. Well not really, too much exaggeration. 
"You were???" Both of them said at the same time. Nikki would have seen the judging look Katie gave her if not for Doyoung standing right between them blocking her view. "Well yeah I was going to get something to eat so I thought maybe you'd want something too?" She sounded a little hesitant. This time it was clear Katie was talking to Nikki, completely ignoring Doyoung who was standing right in front of her.
"Umm.. Well... No.. I mean I'm good. Haha. I already had my dinner, so.. Thanks" Nikki said very awkwardly sidestepping a little, looking at both Katie and Doyoung like trying to draw some dots between them. When it came to Katie everything was a bit awkward but this time it was on another level. Maybe Katie was not familiar with NCT to understand that Kim Doyoung standing there was some sort of a miracle. 


"Are you okay?" Katie asked looking a little concerned. 
"Eh??.. Oh yeah. Yeah I'm good...... Soooo... I guess you don't know NCT that much right?" Nikki said nervously rubbing her palms on her denim pants. Katie gave her a questioning look. "You mean the boys in that big poster in your room. You know I'm bound to know them by now cause I'm living with you right?" She meant for it to be a kind of joke but her very serious face said otherwise. Nikki was immune to her lack of expressions. 
"Yeah.. them.." Nikki mumbled dragging her words. Doyoung was watching both of them like he's watching some drama. Katie stared at Nikki for a few seconds before stepping out the door and walking down the hallway.
"Wait..." it was not Nikki who called this time but much to her surprise it was Doyoung, but Katie kept on walking down like she did not hear his 'very clear loud' voice. Doyoung looked at Nikki like he's waiting for a explanation . 
"Wait.." Nikki tried again and much to Doyoungs displeasure, Katie turned around with a questioning glare. "You... Don't you.. see him?" Nikki stuttered out. For some reason she felt very nervous to hear her answer. Few seconds passed suffocatingly. 


"Who?" Nikki could hear Doyoungs loud gasp but she did not turn her head to look at him."Ah.... Nothing.. you can go now.." Nikki mumbled. If Katie thought Nikki was nuts, she did not show it. 

"So I'm seeing things now. Hah.." Nikki scoffed to herself loudly. "I mean Doyoung is good but why can't I see Taeyong?" she was mumbling while balancing her papers and opening the door. She made sure to not look in Doyoungs general direction. In any other time Doyoung would have felt offended but now he was having a internal crisis cause this was the weirdest dream he's ever had. Nikki went inside and closed the door behind her with a loud bang. "Hey hey wai.." BANG!! The door was closed. The hallway was eerily silent for a few seconds. Doyoung was still standing in the same position. Slowly the door opened again with a little creak and Nikki's head peeked through the gap just upto her eyes. She gasped loudly and opened the door fully. 


"YOU ARE REAL!!" Doyoung took a step back surprised. 
"Ye.. Yes?" Doyoung said cautiously. 
"OMG!! Kim Doyoung is in front of me for real. Ahhhhhh..." she suddenly switched to her fangirl mode and started jumping on spot shouting and squealing. 
"Omo.. I'm Nikki Park. I'm a huuuuuge fan of NCT..." She said sticking her hand out in a dash and bowed her head down bashfully. Doyoung was caught off guard by her sudden mood change, he looked terrified.
"Ah.... Yeah.." He slowly grabbed her finger tips. Suddenly they both let go of each other jumping back. It was like a sudden electric shock shot through their finger tips. His touch felt so soft, too soft to be normal, like a dream. 
"Wha.. What was that?" Nikki asked shifting her gaze from Doyoungs hand to his face. Doyoung was flabbergasted.
"I don't know.... Yo.. you?? Who are you?? Where am I? Ho.. How did l get here?" He said looking around with bewildered eyes. He was starting to freak out.
"I was sleeping. I'm pretty sure I went to sleep. What time is it? Did someone kidnap me? Where is here?" He was babbling while his hair frustratedly. 


"Heyy... Calm down okay? I think it's better if you come inside" Nikki said looking a little concerned. Doyoung looked at her suspiciously. Nikki could see his hesitation. "I'm not gonna eat you. If someone come and see you standing in front of my house wearing pijamas? It won't be good right? " she offered trying to sound friendly. When he looked a little relaxed, she stepped aside allowing Doyoung to enter.
He walked inside hesitantly and planted himself on the living room couch. He looked around nervously scanning the room with big curious eyes.
"Ummmmm... I'll get you something to drink." Nikki ran off to the kitchen. She had no idea what to get him. After looking around in dilemma trying to find something decent to get to Doyoung, she settled for two cups of orange juice. She hurried back not wanting Doyoung to feel even more nervous in a strange house. 
"How did you get here again?" Nikki asked shifting her weight from one leg to another. She knew she should have been more excited and exhilarated that Kim Doyoung of NCT was in her house, but strangely all she could feel was confusion. She had a lot of questions and she knew all the answers were with Doyoung. She had a strange gut feeling which she could not explain and it made her heart sink for some unknown reason.
"I don't know, that's what I'm asking you? I'm sure I was sleeping in my room and Mark was there too. And suddenly when I woke up I'm here. And that is impossible unless someone kidnapped me while I was asleep..." He paused for a few seconds to catch his breath. 
"I don't think I'm dreaming cause you seem too real. But then that handshake felt too weird to be real. And that girl before did not see me or she pretended not to and its kinda freaking me out." Doyoung kept on saying with eyes darting everywhere hysterically. It took Nikki a few seconds to fully comprehend all his words.
" No you're not dreaming because I'm 100 percent sure that I'm a real person. And let me make it clear to you Mr. Doyoung that I did not kidnap you cause if I really had a chance to kidnap you I would have definitely kidnapped Taeyong...... No offence" She said the last part sheepishly after seeing Doyoungs scandalised expression.
"Then. How. Did. l. Get. Here. ?" Doyoung said emphasising each word like his life depends on it. "I don't... Um maybe you... Ahhhh... Maybe you were drunk? you drank before and wandered around and came here?" Nikki said excitedly. For some reason this whole thing was amusing to her. She never even imagined to see Kim Doyoung in this state, totally frustrated, and it was not a very cool sight. 
" No I did not. And I told you before I was in Korea. We had a late night practice and we all directly went to sleep... Ahhh this is frustrating" Doyoung was rambling and somehow it felt like he was blaming it all on Nikki. 
"Okay I was just trying to help you.. If you're so sure that nothing like that happened, then maybe yo..." She paused abruptly as Katie entered through the front door looking confused. She had a few plastic bags in her hand. There was a very awkward silence for a second.
"You... have a guest?" She asked questioningly looking at the still filled cup of orange juice on the tray. Nikki was not sure how to answer it. 
"ummm yes?" It sounded more like a question itself. Nikki narrowed her eyes in Doyoungs direction trying to give Katie a signal. Katie scanned the whole room lingering her eyes on the couch for a bit longer. Doyoung visibly stiffened on his spot, his hands clutching the couch ends awkwardly like his life depends on it.
"Where....??" Katie looked like she was contemplating between just walking away and actually trying to figure out the condition of Nikki's mental health. Nikki exhaled the breath that was caught in loudly.
"She can't see me? Why can't you see me?" Doyoung said frantically standing up. Katie was looking at Nikki expectantly. "Look Katie, tell me honestly, do you really not see him?" Nikki asked trying to sound very serious. "See who??.... Nikki are you okay? Did you drink today?" Katie asked taking few hurried steps towards Nikki. She was only a few steps away from Doyoung and she kept on coming towards him. Doyoung was frozen on his spot, staring at her with a horrified expression.
"STOP!!!" Katie stopped abruptly. It was like the clock stopped ticking. Katie was right in front of Doyoung, only about a inch of space between them. Doyoung looked down slowly almost dramatically. Nikki followed his line of gaze. Katies hand stopped midway from reaching out at Nikki, her finger tips going straight through Doyoungs stomach. It was like a scene from some science fiction. Doyoung looked like he was about to faint. Katie took a step back cautiously. 
"I think you should take some rest Nikki, you don't seem very good. I'll be in my room if you need me." Katie dropped one of the paper bags on the small table and went back to her room a little hurriedly. The sound of a door closing echoed through the living room before it engulfed with a eerie silence. Doyoung still did not move a single muscle. He was staring down at his stomach without blinking like it would dissappear any given second. Nikki did not know what to do.
"Heyy...."Just as she said that her phone started ringing making her jump lightly. She reached to her pant pockets and the second she looked up, Doyoung was gone. She looked around the living room from left to right. "Doyoung..." She called out in to the silent room but to no avail. She ran towards the front door openning it hurriedly, but no one was in the hallway too. Her ringing phone was abandoned on the carpet.

Kim Doyoung was gone, dissappeared without proof. Just like how he came.