Chapter 03

While we are sleeping

That night Nikki tossed and her bed waiting for sleep to come. There were too much stuff going around her head and all she wanted to do was just shut everything down and fall asleep, but the image of Doyoung staring at her with big doe eyes made it hard for her. She wanted to believe that it was all a dream and blame it all on her sleep deprived state but deep down she knew it was no dream, for she felt everything very clearly.

The big poster behind her bedside table was glowing in the moonlight flowing through her half closed curtains. She turned to her side tugging her blanket around her torso uncomfortably and stared at Doyoungs smiling face. He looked carefree and fresh unlike how he was before, tired and frustrated. Now that the moment was gone, Nikki felt like she lost some important part in her life. She felt so dejected and empty.

Sighing to herself she turned around lying on her stomach and buried her face in the pillow screaming her lungs out. She was glad that Katie was a heavy sleeper or else she would have woken up already by the frustrated noises she made. The ticking of her kittie alarm clock resonated around the room. She was sure as hell she's gonna get scolded by her lecturer again for falling asleep in class tomorrow.

 "Doyoung or Jesus, I don't f.............ing care, I AM SLEEPING" she said to the blank air around her and lied down properly on her back squeezed her eyes so tightly, for a moment she thought her eyes would get pushed deeper into her head. She really needed to sleep. 


**********


Nikki sighed loudly at the sound of her alarm going off and stood up on the middle of her bed in Indian style. She could feel her eye bags weighing under her eyes and tiredness seeped through her every muscle. She stared blankly at the big Taeyong poster in front of her. Sighing to herself again, she lazily dragged herself to the bathroom to have a fresh cool bath in an attempt to wake her muscles properly.

Walking down the sidewalk to the uni with her slumped back, she started thinking back over yesterday night. No matter how hard she thought the final conclusion was no difference. It was definitely a dream. She dropped the case at that, blaming it all on her imagination. She had other stuff on her mind to worry over like how to get over with today's lecture with her sleep deprived body.
 
Once inside the University grounds she wandered around aimlessly contemplating over going straight to lecture hall or grabbing something to fill her empty stomach from the canteen. In the end she decided to go straight to the lecture hall and try to catch up on her much needed sleep. She could barely walk without just leaning on a wall and sleeping until her legs give up. 

Walking through the lecture hall doors, she plopped on the first seat her eyes landed on and dropped her head on the desk. Her head was throbbing so badly she felt like thrashing her head on the hard surface of the desk. She was on the verge of falling asleep when she felt a light tap on her right shoulder. She groggily opened her eyes to shooo Julie away but in front of her stood Jason, the boy who Nikki had a teeny tiny crush on. Suddenly feeling very self conscious of her big panda eyes and bird nest hair, blood rushed to her cheeks making her look even more ridiculous. 


"Sorry to disturb you but can I sit here." He said with a sweet smile adoring his lips. Nikki stood up abruptly her eyes widening almost comically. Jason seemed a little taken aback by her sudden movement. 


"I'm having a little cold, I don't wanna sit in front of the AC". He explained politely giving her a small smile as in to say 'I mean no harm'.


"Y..Yeah sure, of course..." Nikki said moving a little on her own seat as if to make as much as space between them. It was originally supposed to be Julies seat but Nikki tried to ignore the feeling of Julies burning gaze on the back of her head when she saw her walking pass them mouthing curses. Nikki slightly turned around and mouthed an inaudible sorry at Julie but all she met was her scowling face and 2 middle fingers pointing up. Nikki smiled apologetically and turned to Jason giving him a small bashfull smile. It was gonna be a long day.


**********


Halfway through the lecture Nikki started dozing off, just like what she dreaded. She knew that her head was swinging around dangerously but she could not control it as she was somewhere in the middle of a dream and reality. She could hear laughter and chatter around her but felt too lazy to open her eyes to see the commotion around her.
"Hyung what the hell? I told you not take my mp3 player! It was broken already"
"I thought it was Jaehyuns, but it did work okay, it's not..."
"Ahhh hyuuung... See now I can't even repair it.."
"Sorry Haechan-ah... I will buy you a new one okay?" 

Nikki wanted to just throw anything at those idiots who kept shouting at her ears disturbing her peaceful slumber until she registered their words more clearly. Someone broke Haechans mp3 player and promised to get him a new one. Haechan...
Nikki opened her eyes abruptly clutching the seat underneath her. Instead of the plastic chair in the lecture room, her hands touched something soft. Springing out of the metres she looked around the unfamiliar room where she was sleeping on to spot two males standing at the doorway. They did not seem to notice her staring at them. Shorter of the two stomped out the room with a huff. 

"Taeyong hyung, breakfast is ready" another male voice came from somewhere outside the room. Nikki's heart rate picked up at the mention of that one word, Taeyong. If her ears were not deceiving her, she standing in front of the great Lee Taeyong, the handsome prince who roamed her dreams every night.

Right on that moment he turned around to face Nikki, and her breath caught in . It was the actual Lee Taeyong, the handsome prince charming, Nikki Parks future husband, walking towards her.

"OK Doyoung-ah, in a minute" his angelic voice resonated through out the room pleasantly. Nikki kept on gaping at Taeyong with happy tears gleaming in her eyes. It was like a dream come true, she was not even sure if it was real. It was not very surprising to her that he didn't noticed her presence. Everything that happened to Doyoung before was happening to her now. Humming to himself Taeyong grabbed something from his bedside table and left the room closing the door behind him.

The loud bang of the door made her snap out of her trance. She looked around the room scanning it from top to bottom. It was a bedroom with two big fluffy beds on either sides of it. She could tell from one glance that it was their dorm room. As fascinating as it was she felt a little guilty for invading someone else's privacy like that, but her mind was in too much chaos to worry about right and wrong at that moment. She touched the bedsheets with the tips of her fingers and cooed internally at the soft texture of it. This should definitely be a dream. 

 

Loud voices and laughter penetrated through the bedroom walls and reached her ears giving her a strong urge to find where it came from. She had no idea what she was doing but her legs seem to be working on their own. 


Once in front of the black painted door her hand reached out to the door handle just to jump back in surprise when her hand went through the metal like thin air. It felt like deja vu. Her hands felt very light, it was a feeling that she has never felt before but she did not feel as scared as she should have been. It all felt too familiar to her. So without much thought she closed her eyes tightly, her hands on either sides of her pants as she walked straight through the door. And it felt like..... nothing. No strange feelings, no nothing. 

Once outside she walked down the hallway towards the chatter sound coming from the kitchen. As she got closer the voices become more clear to her. She felt giddy all over her body, trembling in anticipation.

"....... when I asked him to give me a bite, he just put the whole thing in his mouth and went away without even looking at me"
"That's because your one bite equals to the whole bun " 
" Whatever... I'm just saying he's being mean to me hyung" 
"I'm not.... you're just dumb" 

Now Nikki was just behind the wall separating the living room from the kitchen, she could see their shadows in the glowing bright lights. She nervously took a step into the light. All 9 members were sitting around the kitchen table, it almost looked like a scene from some 90s English film. Her eyes wandered around the table looking at each one of them and stoped at Taeyong for a second too long than others. Haechan was saying something animatedly while swinging his fork around. As expected, no one spared her a glance and she thanked the heaven for that, for she knew she'd be a melting mess if anyone of them looked at her. She took a few brave steps towards the table. Doyoung was peeling a orange while saying something about a costume. 

"I'm not saying it's bad but I thought it would fit someone like Jaehyun, not me, I'm more into Hmpffttttt....."

Small pieces of orange sprayed all across Mark who was sitting directly in front of Him. Doyoung started coughing desperately to get the remaining pieces of fruit out of his throat. Once his throat was clear enough for him to breath again he stared at Nikki with wide eyes, still wheezing from his coughing fit before. 

"Doyoung-ah, what was that about?" Johnny was helping Mark to remove the orange stain from his shirt. "Doyoung-ah, are you okay? What happened?" Taeyong asked watching Doyoung with concern.

"Yah, you... How?" Doyoung stumbled on his words as he gawked at Nikki. She took a step back scared at his sudden outburst.


"I'm sorry I didn't mean to disturb you, actually I'm not sure how I even came here, I swear I'm not a sesang okay, I'm so sor..."


"Doyoung-ah, what are you looking at?" Taeils questioning tone cut off her apology speech. Both Nikki and Doyoung turned to look at him. Taeils face was a mix between worry and confusion. Then Doyoung turned to look at each one s concerned looks directed at him. He uneasily fidgeted on his seat. 

"S.. Sorry, I think something got stuck in my throat, I need to use the washroom gyus, sorry Markie.." He stood up carefully giving a apologetic look to mark who now had a big orange stain on the right shoulder of his white tshirt. Doyoung eyed Nikki carefully like signaling her to follow him. Nikki just stood there dumbfounded for a second. Before following after Doyoung with hurried steps. He opened the door to the room from before and waited for her to walk inside before closing the door hastily behind her. 

"How the hell did you get here? Who are you?" Doyoung pointed an accusing finger at her. 
"l don't know how I got here, I was in my lecture hall and then suddenly I woke up to Haechans voice" Surprisingly Nikki did not feel even a little bit uncomfortable or nervous talking to Doyoung. It felt like when her sister accused her of stealing her cloths, all too familiar. 


"So you were sleeping too?" Doyoung asked planting himself on the edge of the bed.


"Not really sleeping on purpose, but maybe I fell asleep.." Nikki tried to reason out dozing off in the middle of a lecture. Doyoung looked at her incredulously.


"But how is this happening? No one else can see you right. Can you touch stuff?"

Nikki reached her hands out towards the lamp standing on the table. Just like before her hands went straight through the wood like thin air. She shuddered at the strange feeling on her hand. No sound escaped Doyoungs wide open mouth. He looked so adorable. 

Nikki suddenly remembered the handshake they shared when Doyoung first came to her. She slowly reached her hand towards Doyoungs face. Doyoung looked a little taken aback but he did not move. Her fingers barely touched his cheeks. It did not went through, they could feel it so clearly, too soft like floating on a cloud. For a moment no one made a noise just Nikki touching Doyoungs face lightly. 

"Doyoung-ah, you okay, may I come in?" Taeyongs muffled voice came through the door. Nikki stumbled back looking a little flusted. Doyoung still had that stunned look on his face as he walked towards the door. 

"Y.. Yeah I'm okay" He opened the door for Taeyong to enter.
"I was just looking for a new..." Turning around towards the room again, he halted abruptly. Nikki was gone. No trace of her was left in the room.


"... Shirt". 


"Okay.... you took too long, I came to see if everythings okay" Taeyong sounded a little suspicious but he did not question it.
Sighing loudly to himself Doyoung turned towards the door. "let's go back to finish my orange then."


*********


Nikki woke up panting deeply like she just ran a marathon. She was back in the lecture room. Thankfully no one was staring at her this time except Jason who looked a little surprised.

"Are you okay?" He asked in a low voice not to get attention from others. Nikki turned her head towards Jason but kept staring at him with a dumb look.

"Eh?"

"you okay?" Jason repeated with a hint of concern in his voice.

"Y.. Yeah" Nikki stuttered out sighing loudly trying to calm the rapid beating of her heart. Jason narrowed his eyes downwards with amusement written on his face. Nikki directed her eyes to where he was staring at. She was gripping Jason's wrist so tightly, that her knuckles have turned white. She let go of his wrist jumping on her seat a little, like a sudden lightning struck her. 

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry, l.. I didn't..."

"It's okay really... You looked very tired so I did not wake you. Disturbing dream? " Jason asked with a small smile trying ease her nervousness.

Nikki felt so embarrassed all she could do was nod her head slowly while looking down. Maybe the heaven was punishing her for not keeping a seat for Julie. Jason turned back to face the front with a little smile adoring his face.

After a few seconds of staring off into blank space, it struck to her what happened before was not a dream. She stared at her fingertips reminiscing the feeling of Doyoungs skin against it. She was not sure what to feel about this whole situation. What she saw before was neither a dream nor the reality. It was something in between. How else can she explain her being in a country which is about a 5 hour long flight away from where she was, in the middle of a 2 hour lecture.

Only thing she knew was it all happened when they were sleeping. When Doyoung came to her before, he said he was sleeping too. But why was it happening to them? Why can't others see them? Why can't they touch anything else? Why Doyoung?

Her head was starting to throb again. Stupid thoughts kept floating around her head. One thing was sure to her, she needed a good long sleep to calm her mind before anything else.