Chapter 7 - The Princess Of Shateron

The Crown's Burden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
- Even a rose has thorns beneath her beautiful dress of petals. -

Irene was restless as she listened to the buzz of muted conversations around her. She had been called to a council meeting early in the morning to discuss the dispatch of soldiers to the Cirene soldiers in battle.

 

Even though she wasn’t especially knowledgeable in military strategies, she was required to attend as the Princess. Usually council meetings started and ended without much hassle, as long as she cast her vote in the side Sir Duncan and her father favored. However, this time was different. The issue was war, a much more costly endeavor than the occasional uprising. Another factor that added to Irene’s restlessness was Wendy’s presence behind her.

 

From what she had seen during the royal dinner of the night the Cirene envoy arrived, Wendy was very vocal and outspoken of her beliefs. This might’ve not been an issue in the Cirene kingdom, but in the councils of Shateron, women often stayed away from politics. Even Irene, as the princess, rarely spoke up in fear of criticism.

 

In this particular council meeting, King Daniel had not yet returned from combating the rebel insurgencies, so the responsibilities of the meeting fell to Irene and Sir Duncan.

 

Irene shifted nervously in her seat as she eyed the royals in the council hall. They muttered among themselves, faces grim and serious. She caught some distrusting glances being thrown towards Wendy, but none that were too confrontational. It was understandable to be suspicious of her, especially if she was a royal from another kingdom of such status, attending a meeting that consisted only of the inner circle.

 

The sharp rap of a gavel suddenly rang through the domed chamber. The low murmurs died down to a complete silence as Sir Duncan rose up unsteadily, clearing his throat to address the council.

 

“As you all have heard, The Cirene Empire had been attacked by the Sutor Empire. Cirene has a larger amount of soldiers than Sutor, but Sutor has the advantage of a faster and stronger cavalry. This can prove detrimental to their defense.” He paused, looking around the council that muttered among themselves. “I believe it is a smart choice to dispatch two-thousand Shateron foot soldiers, along with five-hundred units of cavalry to aid in the conflict against the Sutor.”

 

“Nonsense.” A stout, bearded man bellowed in dissent. “Two-thousand foot-soldiers are far more than we can spare. It’ll thin our defense around our borders.”

 

A tall, well built man stood up, towering over the councilmen around him. “The borders near Cirene are the most essential to our safety. As General of the Southern Sector, I know that if Cirene weakens, we will be direct targets of rebel and Sutor aggression. Our trade routes will be targeted by bandits as well.” He rumbled, looking around with dark eyes as if daring anyone to challenge him.

 

Irene held her breath, afraid of disturbing the thick tension in the room. She prayed Wendy would stay silent behind her to prevent more conflict from arising.

 

“I agree with the General. If we want to ensure our complete safety, we have to go on the offensive.” Duncan replied quietly, his voice weak. “Remember this as well, Cirene is still our ally.”

 

The bearded man growled in annoyance, but nodded in grudging assent nonetheless. The council muttered a collective murmur of agreement, nodding to each other.

 

Sir Duncan remained standing, waiting for the sounds of conversation to die down. “This brings me to the next subject of this council meeting.”

 

Irene frowned. Wasn’t this purely a war council? They had already decided what military actions should be taken with relatively no hassle, and the council had already agreed on the dispatch of soldiers to Cirene. What more was there to discuss?

 

Duncan continued in his creaking voice. “I believe it is a good decision for Princess Wendy to return to her Cirene. This may help ensure the internal stability of her kingdom.”

 

Irene’s eyes widened in disbelief. This went directly against the wishes of King Eric and Queen Katherine and it would greatly endanger Wendy’s life.

 

“I believe so as well. I can’t stay here in safety while my people suffer at war.” Wendy spoke up suddenly, her eyes burning with determination.

 

Whirling around, Irene looked at Wendy in surprise. Wendy had already agreed to stay at Shateron, so why was she changing her decision now?

 

“Very well. I will prepare a group of our best knights to accompany you back to Cirene.” Duncan replied calmly. “Is the entire council in agreement?”

 

Irene watched in stunned shock as the council gave a unanimous vote in favor of Wendy’s return to Cirene.

 

Sir Duncan nodded. “So it is settled. You will leave by night--”

 

“Wait.” Irene stood up slowly but surely. “You cannot allow Princess Wendy to return to Cirene. It’s too much of a risk.”

 

The council burst out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter