Chapter 5 - Frostford Flowers

The Crown's Burden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
- The warmth of a person’s heart melts even the iciest facades -

The ball had ended late into the night. Irene felt liberated and relaxed; the ball offering reprieve from the stressful events she endured in the previous days.

 

However, the fun didn’t last for long as she was to attend a procession throughout the capital city of Frostford, announcing the royal marriage to the regular citizens of Shateron.

 

Irene found herself huddled in the imperial carriage in the early hours of the morning, her robes clutched around her as she clung onto every sliver of warmth she could find. The booming clops of the horses jarred the carriage as they moved along the road from the castle to the city. The synchronized marching of the soldiers that flanked either side only served to amplify the shaking vibrations.

 

Wendy sat next to Irene, likewise layered in cloaks and robes. She hadn’t talked to her yesterday at the ball, nor in the morning when they prepared together for the procession. An awkward atmosphere was present in the carriage and Irene wasn’t quite sure what to do.

 

The air was brisk and dry, causing their breaths to billow out in small white puffs of mist. Irene quietly observed the clouds of her breath as the uncomfortable silence dragged on. When the towers of the city came into view, Irene knew she had to break the ice if they both wanted to appear at ease in front of the citizens.

 

“Wendy?” Irene quietly asked as she craned her head, trying to see Wendy’s face. “Do you feel alright? You’ve been awfully quiet.”

 

Wendy eyed Irene as she pursed her lips. “I do feel alright. Thank you for asking.” She turned her head away from Irene, watching the scenery in silence.

 

To Irene, Wendy was the embodiment of human contradictions. She had acted extremely friendly yesterday, but now, she only exuded a cool indifference.

 

“Well, why aren’t you talking to me then? We need to communicate with each other if we want our marriage to seem authentic to the citizens.” Irene stated rationally.

 

This time Wendy turned towards her fully, her expression fixed in mild disbelief. “Are people’s impressions all you ever care about?”

 

It was Irene’s turn to be offended. “Of course it isn’t the only thing I care about. But what matters most right now, is that you tell me what’s wrong before we enter the city walls. This procession won’t work if we don’t put up at least a facade of friendliness.”

 

An irritated sigh was all Wendy gave in return. “You’re quite stubborn, you know?

You disregard yourself and other people when you try to get what you want.”

 

“How do I disregard myself and other people?” Irene asked, insulted that Wendy thought so low of her. “Is this about me attending the ball yesterday?”

 

“Yes, it is. You were obviously sick, which could have potentially harmed your health. However, you still attended despite my constant dissuasion.”

 

Irene frowned in confusion. “Like I said yesterday, it is my duty to attend. Besides, I was the one who had gotten sick. Why do you care so much?”

 

The crass words left before she had time to process them.

 

Wendy’s expression immediately morphed to genuine hurt and anger. “I care, because I’m not heartless, Irene. I understand we’re trapped in a marriage we have no control over, but that doesn’t mean I’ll hold you at arm’s length my entire life. I’m not sure if you’re just dense or if you’re selfish, but I’m only trying to be friendly.”

 

After Wendy’s outburst, the carriage was silent once more, as Irene let the words sink in. Her initial reaction was to fire back, but she kept mum as she tried to see the reasoning behind Wendy’s anger.

 

The guilt from her unkind words from before had already started to set in. It was true that Wendy had shown nothing but kindness and warmth towards her, and Irene knew it was quite inconsiderate and ungrateful to rebuke her friendliness.

 

Irene wasn’t very good at apologies; one didn’t usually apologize as a princess. But since she was in the wrong in the light of the argument, she decided to try to amend her mistakes.

 

Irene moistened her lips as she opened . “Wendy… I apologize for my ill chosen words.” She fidgeted with the hem of her cloak as she wondered how to continue. Wendy turned her head slightly, as if she was waiting for Irene to say more.

 

“I understand you were only treating me with cordiality and kindness. I apologize for coming off as rude and tactless, and I apologize if I offended you.” Irene concluded, rushing her words and averting her eyes away from Wendy out of awkwardness.

 

Wendy sighed in response, running a hand through her hair. “I didn’t feel offended. I just don’t appreciate people taking my kindness for granted.” She offered a small smile at an attempt at reconciliation. “However, I accept your apology, and I apologize as well for implying that you’re selfish. That was rude of me as well.”

 

Irene smiled back, a weight lifted from her chest as her apology was accepted and she was forgiven. The carriage was engulfed in silence once more, but it was much more comfortable than the quietness from before, which was charged with tension and animosity.

The carriage had already rolled past the city gates, flanked by guards in gleaming black armor. The carriage itself was lavishly decorated, embellished with golden and red accents. It was pulled by four large horses that frequented only the Northern lands of Shateron. Each horse stood taller than the height of a grown man, with a long shaggy mane that was brushed and braided. Even the horses were accessorized with precious jewels, bells, and black and gold armor that jingled and shimmered as they trotted down the streets.

 

Distant cheering could be heard over the uniform marching of soldiers. Irene observed the buildings that surrounded them, as she was quite unfamiliar with the city herself. She rarely left the castle grounds due to various safety reasons. The towers and houses were built with varying shades of gray stone, with meticulous designs carved onto the surface by Shateron’s skilled sculptors. Lifelike gargoyles and statues were perched on the roofs and windows, watching over the twisting city streets.

 

The cheering had gotten louder as the carriage neared the heart of the city. Irene could see citizens standing at the edge of streets, waving and laughing. When the coachman fully drew back the curtains of the carriage that shielded the both of them from view, the cheering increased to a boisterous roar. They waved to the citizens as the carriage slowly rolled through the cobbled streets, passing masses

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter