Chapter 6 - River Of Silver

The Crown's Burden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
- Royalty is removed from the conflict, like chess pieces that sit hidden at the very edge of the board. -

The room was silent, the air charged with tension and suspense. Queen Katherine hastily stood up, eyes serious as she scanned the scouts. “Why are you here? Who sent you?”

 

The captain wheezed, grasping onto his comrades for support. “The general sent us. We’ve been riding nonstop for five days to relay an urgent message.” The man stumbled forward, clutching his chest as he coughed. Blood splattered on the floor as he collapsed to his knees.

 

Irene only counted five people in total, which was entirely too small for a scouting party.

 

Another man spoke up in place of his captain. “Your highnesses, The Cirene Empire has been attacked by the neighboring Sutor Empire. While we were journeying here, an enemy scouting party attacked us and we lost seven of our men.”

 

He stopped, trying to help the captain up from his feet. “Other scouts spotted thousands of Sutor soldiers marching towards our capital. The chief advisor has just declared a state of war and he requests your urgent return.”

 

King Eric rose from his seat, his expression grim. “Then I am afraid we’ll have to return to Cirene tonight.” He turned to the scouts, his mouth pressed in a firm line. “Ready your horses. We leave immediately.”

 

When the scouts exited the chamber, Wendy rose to her feet as well. “Father, I believe I need a horse prepared for me as well.”

 

King Eric whipped around, his face stern. “Absolutely not. You are to remain at the Shateron Castle, where you are safe from harm. I will not allow you to involve yourself in this war.”

 

Wendy’s eyes narrowed in disbelief. “I can’t possibly stay here in safety, while our people suffer at the hands of the Sutor. I’m the princess, I can’t stay here and be a coward.”

 

When Eric didn’t reply, Wendy turned to Queen Katherine. “Mother. Surely you understand. I can’t sit by idly and do nothing while our empire is attacked.”

 

Queen Katherine shook her head, pursed. “I agree with your father. The journey back is much too perilous and the state of the empire is in disarray. It is much better if you remain in Shateron.”

 

Wendy opened to argue further, but was stopped by Eric. “Wendy, I understand it is difficult for you, but please, try to understand for our sake and for the sake of the alliance.” He looked at her with tired eyes, suddenly seeming much older than he really was.

 

Wendy’s inner conflict played out on her features, as she battled between conceding and arguing back. Finally, she sighed in defeat, slowly nodding in agreement.

 

She stepped forward into her parents’ arms, embracing them tightly. They hugged her back, whispering promises of safety. Irene watched as Queen Katherine pressed a tender kiss to Wendy’s forehead with Eric watching lovingly beside them. “We’ll be alright Wendy. Thank you for agreeing to stay at Shateron. It puts me at ease.”

 

Something in Irene’s heart tugged a bit, as she watched the loving scene between Wendy and her parents. She slightly envied the strong bond between the three, for she had long forgotten what a mother’s love felt like, and her own father had been distant and detached.

When Wendy stepped back, Irene could see she wasn’t teary eyed like she expected her to be. Instead, her eyes flashed briefly with a defiant fire that only Irene seemed to catch.

 

Katherine turned to Irene, a grateful expression on her face. “I pray you’ll extend your hospitality to us a little bit longer. We owe you much thanks.”

 

“No need. As allies, we are obliged to receive her with g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter