Chapter 4 - Dance Of Fire

The Crown's Burden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
- Reborn from the ashes, I wear my wings well. -

 

Morning came with a snowstorm, blanketing and blurring the landscape in white. The sun was hidden behind dark storm clouds, casting everything in a bleak, gray light. Erratic taps could be heard throughout the chamber, as bits of ice and sleet battered the windows.

 

Irene sat propped up in bed, fading in and out of a fitful sleep. Her forehead burned, as beads of sweat rolled down the side of her face. She had caught a high fever due to her time in the bitter temperatures of yesterday night.

 

A damp towel was pressed to her head, soaking up the sweat and the heat that emanated from her body. Her chest rose up and down as she panted heavily, mouth dry and throat parched from dehydration. Lips parted as she attempted to call for a servant, but all that came out was a weak croak.

 

Soft footsteps could be heard approaching the bed as a weight settled beside Irene. A cool glass of water was suddenly pressed to Irene’s mouth; a shock against her warm lips. She gulped thirstily, the water soothing her sore throat. The towel was removed and replaced with a new one, feeling damp and pleasant against her burning skin.

 

Irene’s eyes fluttered open, as she tried to make out the face behind the silhouette of the seated figure. Her vision was blurry and unfocused, catching only the fleeting glimpse of blue and the shadow of a smile before fading to black as she drifted off once again into a restless slumber.

 

↞ ♛♕ ↠

 

Several hours passed before Irene opened her eyes again. The fever had temporarily cooled down, but it left her physically exhausted. The storm had also calmed down into a light, peaceful snowfall, unlike the frenetic whiteout and turbulent winds from hours prior.

 

The light that emitted from the window had turned to a dark gray, signifying the lateness of the day.

 

Irene slowly pushed herself up, her limbs sore from the aftereffects of the fever that ravaged her body. She attempted to stand, before losing her balance and stumbling to the ground with a dull thud. Her legs were weak and unsteady, unable to support her body weight.

 

As Irene struggled to regain her balance and rise to her feet, A soft tap sounded at the door, as a muffled voice full of concern could be heard.

 

“Irene, are you awake? May I come in?”

 

Irene swallowed with difficulty, trying to moisten her parched throat.
 

“Y-yes you may.”

 

The door swung open to reveal Wendy, clothed in a royal blue robe with a worried expression on her face and a glass of water in her hand. Her eyes widened as she registered the scene before her; Irene’s pallid appearance and her struggle to get up.

 

“Oh my god, what happened? Why are you on the floor? Do you need water? Do you feel alright?”

 

Wendy let loose a torrent of questions as she rushed forward to help Irene. The latter clung onto the soft blue robes, as they stumbled towards the side of the bed together.

 

Once Irene was safely seated, Wendy was already fussing over her, checking her temperature and trying to pull the bed covers over her frail body. Amidst her confusion, Irene found the situation quite comical as Wendy’s innate motherly instincts started to show.

 

Irene waved Wendy’s fussing off with a weak hand, as she tried to placate her.

“I’ll be fine, don’t worry. I was trying to stand before I lost my balance. It wasn’t a bad fall.”

 

The latter nodded, letting her hands drop back to her side. However, the worried expression still remained.

 

“Do you feel a bit better? I had Sir Duncan request one of the finest doctors in Shateron, and even he was worried about the state you were in this morning. You had a very high fever.”

 

Irene nodded in response. “I do feel better. The fever seemed to have cooled down a bit, though I’m still quite drained.”

 

At her affirmation, Wendy’s furrowed brows slowly relaxed. She settled down on the side of the bed, before crossing her arms in faint annoyance.

 

“If only you had listened to me yesterday night, you might not have found yourself in the situation you’re in right now. It was way too cold for anyone to be standing outside, especially in a thin revealing dress. Didn’t you think you might get sick?”

 

Irene didn’t know how to respond, as her mind was still a bit hazy. She didn’t know why Wendy was so bothered by her illness. She was the one who had gotten sick, not the other way around.

 

Wendy only sighed at the lack of a reply. “Here, I brought you something to pass the time. You may get bored during the time you’re stuck in bed.”

 

She retrieved a thick book from the confines of her robe. She handed it to Irene, who recognized the title. It was her copy of Of Greed and Power, complete with the dog-eared page that kept her place.

 

Irene looked up with a bewildered gaze. “You got this for me?”

 

“Who else would I have gotten it for? You’re the only person I know who was reading this book.” Wendy chuckles.

 

A small smile briefly broke Irene’s stoic facade. She felt moved at Wendy’s thoughtful actions, even though the gesture was simple. Wendy had managed to remember the book she only mentioned for a second, and had been kind enough to bring it to her for her entertainment.

 

“Now you have something to do during the royal ball tonight. I excused your appearance due to the state of your health.” Wendy’s brow creased in thought. “Sir Duncan didn’t seem very pleased when I mentioned your name.”

 

Irene’s eyes flew open in indiganance and disbelief. She silently berated herself, as the royal ball had completely slipped her mind. It was tradition to hold a lavish ball after a royal wedding, especially for one of such status. It would be extremely uncustomary and impolite for Irene not to attend, even though she was too weak to even stand. However, Irene feared Duncan’s silent disappointment more than her physical state. She knew Duncan expected nothing less than the entirety of her effort in serving her kingdom. She would have to attend the ball, no matter how hard Wendy tried to dissuade her.

 

“Wendy, I absolutely cannot afford to miss this ball. I appreciate everything you’ve done for me while I was sick, but as the princess and the host, it would be blatantly disres

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter