Chapter 3 - Joined In Gold And Silver

The Crown's Burden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
- The fiery hues of gold, the icy shades of silver. -

Irene once again found herself seated in front of the large golden mirror, while handmaidens circled as they prepared her for the wedding.

 

The dark circles that rimmed her eyes were already hidden with powder, lined over with shades of auric and dark browns. She wore a glittering golden dress, complete with a long satin train that trailed several feet behind her. A priceless ruby necklace dangled from her neck, diffracting the light into a thousand shades of red that splayed out onto her collarbones.

 

Irene’s face seemed calm and stoic, but her mind was restless. Her fingers had not stopped fiddling with the golden ring that sat on her finger. Passed down from her mother and countless generations prior, it signified the arrival of another generation of rulers.

 

The small window behind her cast an intense orange glow, indicating the descent of the sun. The saturated light shone onto Irene, making her dress glow a brilliant gold that shimmered with tinges of bronze.

 

The rays hit the mirror, reflecting it directly onto her face. Her eyes seemed to glow red, making her seem nearly inhuman.

 

Irene didn’t recognize the person staring back at her. No, this wasn’t who she was. She didn’t belong in a fancy golden dress, nor did she deserve pieces of expensive jewelry. She was just Irene, a woman who was born with the title of ‘Princess’. Never in her life had she felt elevated by her royal status. She had always felt burdened; her life no more than a favor for her kingdom.

 

Nonetheless, she had to bear it. Duncan’s words rang clear in Irene’s mind. She must serve her kingdom, even at times against her wishes, for the sake of peace and for the sake of her citizens’ happiness.

 

She could only hope that the marriage wouldn’t distract her from her royal duties.

 

Even though Irene wasn’t ecstatic about the arrangement, she was grateful her betrothed was someone like Wendy. Deep down she had fears about the nature of her unknown fiancé, afraid they lacked wit and respect, or if they possessed an unrefined and condescending nature. Irene was grateful Wendy were none of those.

 

Moreover, she quite enjoyed Wendy’s company, which could become dangerous. It was dangerous, having someone who broke down her icy facade so easily. It was dangerous, because there was a slim possibility Irene might actually … fall for Wendy’s warm nature.

 

Irene quickly shook her head. What nonsense. She had to trust in Duncan and keep his lessons in mind. She had to stay cautious around Wendy, because after all, she was still a stranger.

 

↞ ♛♕ ↠  

Golden satin rustled softly against the lavish carpet that led to the altar. Irene walked slowly, letting the delicate crown that rested on her head catch the flickering light from the crystal chandelier that hung high above.

 

The dark red rubies and golden embellishments that Irene flaunted seemed to sway with a mesmerizing rhythm, hypnotizing viewers who watched too long.

 

Irene’s hair had been combed straight and pinned up halfway, unlike the wavy curls she typically had. The dark makeup that graced Irene’s eyes gave her a bewitching air, amplifying the potency of her piercing gaze.

 

Irene seemed aloof, if not for the constant fidgeting of the golden band on her finger betraying her nervous state.

 

The respective representatives of Shateron and Cirene sat to either side of her; clothed in robes and dresses of sultry red and lavish blue. The magnificent church was silent, save for Irene’s soft footfalls and the rippling of the dress.

 

The wooden handrails felt smooth and cool under Irene’s fingers as she walked up the steps leading to the altar. Irene spared a quick glance at the grandiose retable that stood behind the altar. Furnished with golden accents and marvelous riches, it remained silent and unmoving, almost intimidating in its overwhelming beauty.

 

Irene felt terribly small.

 

As she reached the last step to the altar, a glint of silver flashed in the dim lighting in front of her. The glint morphed into a flash, and then took the shape of a human.

 

Princess Wendy had donned a silver dress, which glittered and rippled with the fluidity of water. Sterling silver dangled down like raindrops

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter