09 - shattering

Love's Shadow
 
  chapter nine 
             shatter
 

 

Past 

Jaejoongs's POV

Two years into their marriage, Yunho and Jaejoong found themselves traversing the in and outs of a married couple. The honeymoon phase had long faded, making a way for a deeper and more nuanced connection. They celebrated many victories, and pulled through many challenges.

In the beginning, their days were filled with the excitement of discovering more of each other’s quirks and predispositions. Now, their routines had settled into a comfortable rhythm. Mornings were a rush of shared responsibilities. 

They wake up togethers. They prepare breakfast together. And kiss each other before going to their own respective works. Yunho, was currently in preparation to take over the family business, while Jaejoong became a baker at a bakery in Myeongdong called the Little France Bakery. 

All is well, if they do say so themselves. Yes, all is well. Or so Jaejoong thought.

But for the last few months, Jaejoong has felt something, something that he couldn’t shake that something had changed. 

It was not of character for Yunho to be coming home late. But it was out of character that he didn’t inform Jaejoong that he would. 

He never fails to inform Jaejoong about that ever since they got married. And though he would be coming home late, he would never miss dinner with him.

One night, Jaejoong didn’t receive any call from his husband saying that he'd be coming home late again. He had to call him to confirm if his husband would be running home late again.

Jaejoong didn’t mind it a couple of times. Knowing Yunho’s nature of work, he can understand that he was busy. But it happened again. And it didn’t sit well with him. 

On another night, he called his husband if was going to join him for dinner tonight. Yunho didn’t reply to his text, and his calls were going to voice mails. 

He had never called the office secretary before, but Yunho had given him their number just in case there was any emergency. This wasn’t an emergency though, but he felt the need to call. He just wanted to check up on his husband. Yes, I’m just going to check up on him. So he did.

As he waits for the other line to ring, he felt himself questioning if he was being too dominating with this whole checking him up if his husband was going to be home in time for dinner.

“Secretary Yeo-jin, how can I assist you?”

“Ah, H-hi. This is Jaejoong, Yunho’s partner,” he gulped, “I was just checking if Y-yunho’s available to talk?”

"I'm sorry Sir, but Mr. Jung is still currently in an important meeting. Would you like to leave a message for him?"

"Oh, i-its okay, Miss. I'll just call him later. Thank you so much and I'm sorry for the bother" he said to Yunho's secretary.

“Are you sure, Mr. Kim?” Yeo-jin said. 

“Y-yeah. Thank you,” 

"I'll let him know you called after he's done, Sir. Have a nice day"

"You too," he said courteously before hanging up. 

That night, Jaejoong ate dinner alone again. He never liked it when meals are eaten alone. It painfully reminded him of his old home. He could only count the times that they all gathered for meals. By the time he was starting highschool, the majority of his sisters had already left home. Some are working across the country, and some have their own family to take care of. Two of his sisters were still here to help around the restaurant. But even so, they'd be home at late hours for them to join him for dinner at home.

Jaejoong put away the remaining dishes so it could be reheated when Yunho comes home.

It was almost 10 pm. Office hours had been over an ages ago. He tried calling again, but it only went to voicemail . . . again.

'Jung Yunho. Sorry, I'm currently out right now. Please leave a message after the beep' *toot*

"Yunho, dear? J-just calling to check if you're still down for dinner tonight" he gulps. He knew his husband would not be here for dinner . . again. He continued "I've noticed that you've been very busy lately . . a- and-" he inhales, desperately trying not to cry over the phone "I miss you. Come home soon" and he immediately hangs up.

As clingy as he sounds, he really did miss him. The warmth that used to linger in their home began to dissipate to a colder feeling, the laughter, kisses, their routines, they’re less spontaneous now. And there were moments of distance, where Yunho seemed lost in thought, his eyes avoiding Jaejoong all together.

 

It was already half past 11 when Yunho finally came home. Jaejoong was in the living room, comfortably settled on the couch and doing some light reading when he heard the front door open. 

As soon as he heard the familiar click of the door, he immediately sprang on his feet and greeted his husband.

"Welcome home, Yunho," he said quietly. Yunho didn't reply as he sat at the doorway step to remove his shoes. He paid no mind to Jaejoong when he sat down beside him.

"Is everything alright, Yun?" Jaejoong said worriedly. 

"Just tired 's all" he replied tiredly,"Sorry if I have been ignoring you these past few weeks. T-there is just so much going on, y-you know with all the turning over and such" even with the hallway dimly lit, Yunho's sadness radiates.

"It's okay, dear" he kisses Yunho's temple. "I understand. If you need anything I'm here, you know that right?" 

" . . . of course, Jae" was Yunho's only reply before sulking again.

And maybe in the end he really was just overreacting. Seeing how Yunho is so beaten up right now, it is best to give him some needed space. Although he was sure that there was still something to his words earlier, he'll wait for him to come around.

d7wvsmt-a25a69c1-45fb-4eb9-a086-a90a90ca83c3.gif?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzc2OGRmNDliLTliOWEtNDVmOS1iOGI5LTU2NTU4YzdiMGNmYlwvZDd3dnNtdC1hMjVhNjljMS00NWZiLTRlYjktYTA4Ni1hOTBhOTBjYTgzYzMuZ2lmIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.01c4eQnuZqEngP9ecggWaY2JCQqiai5CZ0NRSLrjXGo

Jaejoong wanted to do something for Yunho. Knowing how stressed his husband really was, he decided he wanted to do something for him for lunch the next day.

"You're not going to work?" Yunho asked as he struggled with his tie.

"Oh, they changed my shift for today. They said I could come by at 1 but it also means that I'll be coming home late" Jaejoong breezed through his excuse. Noticing Yunho struggling with this tie, he moves into Yunho's space and tries to help him.

"No! I can do it" Yunho stepped back to avoid him. Jaejoong was clearly taken aback by the sudden action "S-sorry about that, it's just that I want to do it this time" Yunho said as he continued on fixing his tie.

"O-oh. Okay," was all he could muster. 

After that little incident, the rest of their morning went by awkwardly.

"I better get going now" Yunho pecked Jaejoong's cheeks.

"Take care, dear" he picked something off Yunho's suit. His finger lingers for a while on the fabric, "I love you" Jaejoong said quietly. He tells it to Yunho everyday, to which it becomes a routine. But for this, it was different. He wanted Yunho to know what he really felt at that moment. He wanted Yunho to hear it because he wants him to know that whatever is going on with him he'll be there for him. For better or worse.

"I know" Yunho only said and left work for the day.

It hurts to know that Yunho couldn’t be honest and vulnurable with him. He felt useless all of the sudden. 

Stop moping around.

He went to the kitchen and started getting the ingredients from the fridge.

Chopping the ingredients for the bento box he was going to deliver for Yunho later somehow lifted his spirits. He was glad his boss at the bakery approved his last minute change of schedule. 

The bento box wasn’t extravagant but it was filled with Yunho’ favorite dishes. He packed some extra for his dad and the secretary. By the time he was done, it was almost 11 am.


winw4HI-H7PACrnPvBQT-RtrkRBeO5R5eiDpTDv_e138sQmmYM6XOn2PzMGWc_zBCDqWpOspsgycFlQrZxJf--xsBzPnnuDTRBlU28BK3QgWPGY66U9tA2XsW_7R985ajS1Y8rpRtf22gQII_6s33R0

 

Jaejoong has been to Yunho’s office a few times since they got married, and everytime he steps into its vicinity, it never fails to intimidate him. Men and women in their business casuals running around him to get in and out of the building. He could see some of them on their phones, some were reviewing some papers while walking. It was hectic. At some point someone had bump on to him, almost knocking the bento he had over. They did not apologize about it but Jaejoong understood. He couldn't blame them. He knows how strict and notorious the place they are working in.

The inside of the building was more intimidating than the outside. More people were scrambling around to get to the elevator. To avoid being thrown out of the way again, Jaejoong went to the reception to not only take cover but to also ask if Yunho was available.

“Hello, good morning, I’m Jaejoong,” he greeted the receptionist. Seeing that he was unfamiliar with the receptionist made him assume immediately that they were new.

“Good morning, Sir. What can I do for you?” the woman said to him with a bright smile. The place won’t be so bad after all if there were employees like her. Jaejoong returned a bright smile as well.

"Uhm, I'd like to see Mr. Jung Yunho please. I'm his-" and before he could even introduce who he was, the new girl named A-ra, based on her nametag, interrupted him.

"I'm sorry sir. If you'd like to see Mr. Jung, you have to set an appointment with us. Currently, his schedule is full packed, but I do see an available slot for tomorrow at 2:30 to 3:35 pm. Would that be alright with you?” she provided.

"M-miss, you see I'm not here to make an appointment because I’m-" before he could finish his sentence, he hears Yunho’s voice. He turns his head to try and locate where his voice was coming from

"Good job with the proposal. I'm looking forward to seeing the plan work out, Mr. Jao" 

And there he was. At the end of the hallway, straight ahead of him, his back facing him. Judging with how enthusiastic his voice was, he could tell he was happy and smiling. And how he wishes he could see them right now.

"Yunho," he softly calls. He walks towards him in cautious steps seeing how he was still talking with some. He ignores A-ra’s whispered yell for him to get back. 

He jogs a little faster when he sees Yunho dismisses them.

"Yunho," he said louder but halted his steps, " . . .Yunho" his voice got smaller as he stepped back.

Out of nowhere, a woman suddenly waltzes into his sides. Like a habit, his hand slips at the woman’s back, which makes her move closer to him.

No, that must be his secretary. He tried to reason with his mind, but they thought otherwise. 

Yunho would not do that, would he?

Trust him.

Should you?

Stop.

Jaejoong wanted to have the courage to come up to them, pull Yunho away from the woman and bombard him with questions of who this woman is.

But instead, he just stood there. He did nothing but helplessly watch as the two descended up to the elevator to god knows where the hell they were going. His body felt heavy, his chest hurts, and his stomach is doing some kind of somersault.

Why was it raining? Wait. He is inside the building.

He felt his face and it was wet. He’s crying. He tried to wipe it off but tears just kept on falling. . . 

falling. . . 

and falling. . .

Pathetic

"Sir are you alright?" It was A-ara.

"H-here, you can have this . . " He handed her the bento gently and hastily went on his way. The longer he stays the worse he’ll eventually get.

“He was crying”, A-ra thought worriedly. She settled the box that was still warm and slowly opened it to see what it was. Her stomach growled at the sight of the assortment of foods inside the bento.

"Oh wow!" she exclaimed excitedly and can’t help but her lips.

"Oi! No eating here,"

A-ara jumped and hurriedly put the lid back. She then turned to her supervisor, Choi Yeo-jin. 

"I apologize, Ma'am. But a man earlier came here and sort of gave me this. Well, it must have been for Mr. Jung, seeing how he asked if he was available right now. But he suddenly cried,” She hurriedly supplied the last part, “poor thing . . and this is how I got the bento box" A-ra then showed her the bento box again.

From what she heard, Yeo-jin had an idea who A-ra might be referring to.

"Did you get his name, A-ra?" she asked nervously.

"I believe his name was Jaewon. . or was it Jaejoon . ."

". . Jaejoong" Yeo-jin finished. Her face paled.

"Yes, Jaejoong! Jaejoong was his name."

"!" Yeo-jin slammed his hands on the table. 

"M-ma'am?"

Yeo-jin went out the back and took the telephone, she dialed a number and within 2 rings the person picked it up.

"Hello, Mr. Chairman"

 

Whenever Jaejoong visits the office, which rarely happens though, Yeo-jin will always be the one to greet and accompany him. Which is totally unnecessary because he had the privilege to just go in and up to Yunho's office. But in times like this, when a husband is cheating on his lovely husband for a secretary, Yeo-jin needed to keep Jaejoong away from finding out. Just until Yunho and Boa could realize to themselves that what they are doing is wrong. And they should stop before it's too late. 

Yeo-jin wasn't there when she found out that Jaejoong had dropped by to the office. And hearing what happened to him made her heart drop. 

"It's me Yeo-jin, Sir"

"Oh! Yeo-jin ah. What can I do for you?" the chairman replied. She took a deep breath and delivered the devastating news.

"Sir . . . I think Jaejoong knows. . ." 

It was silent from the other line. She knows that the Chairman knew what she meant. After she suspected something from Yunho and Boa, she told the chairman about it and surprisingly he already had his suspicions as well. He instructed Yeo-jin to report anything from them if there were any. And this was one of the heart-broken ones she had to report.

"How much does he know?" His voice was calm, but years of working with him closely knew that he was probably raging inside.

"I don't know, Sir. I wasn't there when it happened. A-ra was the one who got to greet him. She stated he was looking for Yunho, probably to give him lunch. He took off from the front desk when he heard him across the lobby but didn't he didn’t reach Yunho. When A-ara caught up with him, he was already crying and then left" she explained.

"I see. I'll handle this from here. Thank you, Yeo-jin for informing me"

"You're welcome, Sir" then Sung-ho hung up. She let out a sigh. Deeply worried for her friend.

 

________________________________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 author's note 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
! ANOTHER ONE ! 
I made two chapters. YAAY