06 - moments (revised)

Love's Shadow
 
  chapter six 
         moments
 
 
 

 

Past

 

First few times they saw each other outside the class, they’d exchange a few subtle ‘hello’. Or just smile at each other when their eyes meet at a crowded place. 

But there was never a chance or any reason yet where they could talk more outside their class. Plus, they were mostly at the opposite side of the university given that they are studying different degrees. 

Even though they sat beside each other in class, there was little to no chance of personal talks since class was on-going. Not that they have anything that they could talk about in particular, but they both thought that it would be nice to get to know each other. Gain a friend. 

And life would find a way for them.

It took one assignment from their shared class, and a trip to the library the next, then a new friendship blossomed.

They’ve established that breaks and free time were their catching up time. Yunho was one to initiate the conversation most of the time, while Jaejoong listened attentively and meekly answered when necessary. It wasn’t like Jaejoong was not interested in whatever the other was talking about, he liked to listen to whatever Yunho was rambling about, especially his little inventions and his current progress with it. But it was his voice, the way he talked, that he liked the most.

From then, it was like they almost knew each other's life. 

Surprisingly both loved to sing. Jaejoong shared that he was never good at it and had to practice secretly after being dubbed as tone deaf in highschool. 

They loved animals. While Jaejoong had cats, Yunho had a dog, Taepung. Hearing Yunho's dog’s name made Jaejoong giggle because it was close to his name. 

While Yunho likes to go out in his free time, Jaejoong likes the comfort of his home. 

 

After his class that day, he told Junsu about what happened. 

"They didn't bully you or anything right?" Junsu said worriedly.

"It wasn't like that," he assured his friend, "his other friend kinda put him on his place when he came up to our seat"

"So what was the other guy's name?"

"From what I recall, it was Yunho," 

"Hmm . . never heard of the guy before"

"Well obviously, he is a business major," Jaejoong said as a matter of fact.

"Just be careful around them, okay?" Junsu pleaded.

 

Knowing Yunho was never what Jaejoong had expected

His first impression of him was that he was quite intimidating looking. If they hadn't spoken to each other briefly, he would have guessed that Yunho was part of some kind of mafia.

But on the contrary, Yunho was like a dog. Tough on the outside, a huge softy on the inside. A weird comparison to think of, but it kinda fitted Yunho.

Personality wise, he was quite charming as well. But not in an arrogant way that any would think. And has a boyish and goofy perspective on life. 

He’d like to ramble just about anything, at some point he’d accidentally overshare a bit about his life. Like how he was expected to take over a business empire in a few years. To say that Jaejoong wasn't dumbfounded about that information would be an understatement.

He shared how he still hasn't enjoyed his youth that much yet. To which Jaejoong sympathizes. Coz' like him, he didn't get to enjoy his as well because of him constantly getting sick and bullied.

And despite having so many people around Yunho, Yoochun was the only friend he could truly trust. Jaejoong nodded to that because Junsu is the only person he could run to also.

 

“I guess Yoochun isn’t the only one I could rely on,” Yunho suddenly said.

“Huh? What do you mean? "a confused Jaejoong replied.

“What do you mean ‘Huh?. Aren’t you my friend?” Yunho said, feeling hurt.

“I g-guess I am . .” 

Yunho has a cheeky smile on his face when Jaejoong confirms that they are friends, while Jaejoong tries  to calm his beating heart

 

Yunho is proud of being Jaejoong's friend. He'd slip his name around conversations whenever given the opportunity. 

Jaejoong wasn't quite like the other that Yunho typically mingles with.

He was reserved. Doesn't really like to put himself out there. Which was a shame, Yunho thought. Because the man can get funny and quirky sometimes. 

Although he was the more outspoken of the two, when Jaejoong started to speak out, he could give and express incredible advice.

Him being too outspoken at times has its disadvantages. He would get himself into some sticky situation for oversharing. Once people knew who he was, they'd take that opportunity to use Yunho for their own personal gain. 

He winced when he revealed to Jaejoong about him taking over their company. But Jaejoong didn't seem interested in that information. He never snooped on further about that part of his life, instead he asked about his current inventions, which he excitedly share

Another thing Yunho liked about Jaejoong was that he was unintentionally doting on him. 

Jaejoong would unconsciously fix his shirt collar or would dab something off of his like a measly little dirt whenever they were together. On lunches, Jaejoong would share his half with Yunho everytime, especially if he had something of Yunho's favorite food.

It was the small things Jaejoong does that make his heart flutter for some reason. 

Yunho would happily introduce him to his other friends. Said friends however, don't care. But Yunho doesn't need to know that or their chances of collaborating with a chaebol will be slim to none.

Instead they project their dislike at Jaejoong directly.

Jaejoong didn't mind it all, it wasn't like he liked them too. Instead he kept a smile on his face for them because he didn't wanna embarrass Yunho.

But Yunho later caught on to that act and had a little quarrel about it.

 

"You're never an embarrassment to me, Jae," Yunho pouted.

"I know. And you know I really don't care about what they think of me," which he really doesn't mind, but Yunho wasn't convinced.

"They're just giving me the stink eye all the time. Nothing to worry about" 

"I'll make sure to protect you always" Yunho promised.

 

They're the opposite of each other but at the same time they were the same. 

Each passing day, they felt something fluttering in their chest. However, both are stubborn to acknowledge the feelings they obviously had for each other. And there was an inkling thought in their heads that they were out of each other's league.  

In addition, Jaejoong was not really out yet. He doesn’t have the confidence to let anyone know, especially his family. Especially his father. Even when he told Junsu who he truly was, it still made him nervous and scared even though he knew Junsu would accept him wholeheartedly.

Jaejoong's heart can't take it. He also hadn't been in a relationship before. 

It made him question if he truly liked Yunho that much to be in a relationship.

Oh god! He wants to be in a relationship with Yunho.

Maybe it's just the way he treats you that makes you think you like him?  

But what if you really like him and you confess? How would he react though? What if he feels the same way? 

But what if he doesn't?

“You seem occupied, Jae. What’s the matter?” Junsu inquired. 

Junsu's sudden voice took him out of his trance.

“Oh, it's nothing really,” Jaejoong said as he lowered his head again

Lately he noticed Jaejoong was a bit restless. Saw him mess up a couple of times during practical classes, which does not happen at all. 

Sometimes he’d see Jaejoong just stare, like his mind is somewhere else. Often he'd hear him sigh.  Not good. 

It made Junsu kinda worried for him. Although Jaejoong can be secretive at times, he’d never seen him so distressed before.

Bull.”

"Junsu!" Jaejoong gasps.

"I know something is up. I don't always pry on  Jae but that thing you have going is obviously eating you up" 

It's true that Junsu doesn't force him to talk unless it is bothering him. And his unresolved feeling for his friend, Yunho, was really bothering him. Knowing his bestfriend, he'd never stop until he got the answers to this. So he took a deep breath before facing Junsu.

"It's about . . . n-ho" Jaejoong it so quietly that Junsu couldn't hear it.

"Who?" 

". . . Yunho" this time a bit louder.

"What about Yunho?!" Junsu yelled. 

"Shhhh! Be quite, Junsu" 

"What did he do to you?!"Junsu was fuming but Jaejoong calmed him down before continuing.

"Yunho didn't do anything. It's just. . . what do you think about him?" He shyly said as he sat back down on his seat. He fiddles with his hands as he waits for Junsu's answer.

Confused and worried and was evident in Junsu's face, but he still thought about Jaejoong's question. 

Yunho was an alright guy, base on what could gatjer around the campus. Yes, he was snooping around about Yunho. From what he gathered, he was some kind of a big deal person because his family owns several firms. He couldn't care less after that. He wasn't a spoiled brat like he initially thought. Though he kept on being so close to Jaejoong whenever he was around. Yunho had this stupid look whenever he stared at his friend.

"For me, he is arrogant, '' he said, trying to spite his friend out of curiosity. Jaejoong was about to say something but Junsu stopped him and continued on how he was a goody two shoes, loud mouth, arrogant, rich boy hot shot-

"Okay, okay, I get it," Jaejoong finally said.

"What? It's true. You were the one who asked what I thought about him," Junsu pouted "Why? What do you think about him" 

"W-well . . . uhmmm Yunho is . . uhm" 

Just stared at him, waiting for his answers. He was getting a bit impatient. Jaejoong's was getting red, and was fiddling shyly. His eyes widened and that’s when it hit him.

“No way,” Junsu said in disbelief.

“W-what?” It was Jaejoong’s turn to be confused.

“NO WAY!” Junsu was now jumping, shrieking with joy. “You like Yunho! You like him. Look at your face, it’s all red!” more shrieking can be heard.

Jaejoong tried denying it but Junsu wasn’t having any of it. There was still truth to what he said about Yunho but he'll have his friend have it. It's not always that his friend would come to him for love advice, let alone ask him what he thought of the other. To be honest, Yunho wasn't overall too bad, if you squint. But he'll tell Jaejoong that some time. He swears right then and there that if that bastard Yunho hurts Jaejoong, Yunho better watch out.

 

Tiny Heart by socksyy

 

For Yunho, when he started feeling something, his first thought was why? When he’d hook up with ladies, it never went to this extent. So why did it occur when he was with Jaejoong ? He only had brief relationships because of status. So he never knew what it meant to fall in love. 

The thought of the word love sent shivers down his spine. ‘Love. . .’ Yunho muttered.

He ran to Yoochun for some enlightenment. Yoochun just deadpanned at his flustered meltdown. Tired of Yunho looking an idiot, he grabbed his shoulders and made him sit down.

“You know, you're being obvious about how you feel about Jaejoong,” Yoochun stated

"Huh?? What do you mean by that?" 

“You see . . pfft . .I don’t think you see it” Yoochun laughed a little when he made the joke. 

It was Yunho’s turn to deadpan. 

“Okay okay, no more joking” Yoochun clears his throat before continuing 

"I see how you date. And it's always just for fun and to get a little somethin' somethin', if you know what I mean," he wiggled eyebrows at Yunho.

"Okay!" Yunho waved at him to stop.

"You may have cared a bit with your partners but there wasn’t any spark to it,” he explained.

“I did love them-” Yunho tried to defend but was cut off.

“I know it but you never did put it to . . heart. I know you cared for them, showed some love but the way I saw it, I knew there was something missing. And whenever you break up with them, it's like you expected it to happen. Then you easily replace them whenever and the cycle repeats"

As Yunho absorbed Yoochun's words, his friend still continued. "After you meet Jaejoong, it's like you found that missing piece. I see you date often coz people are lining up for you. They come running for you. With Jae, you are the one who is pining for him without you even realizing it. Now you're just bamboozled by that fact"

"Wow . . ." was all Yunho could say.

"Wow indeed my friend. I thought you were the smart one. But I guess there are some things you don't know, so that makes me the smartest between us" Yoochun smugly exclaimed.

"Don't get too full of yourself" Yunho rolled his eye playfully

"So . . . what are you planning to do now? Might as well confess now, 'cause I feel like you're gonna explode if you don't"

“No way!!” Yunho huffed.

Yoochun only hummed as he sank further into the bench they were sitting on. His friend will come through to it.

Jaejoong and Yunho continued on their days as the words of their friends slowly buried themselves in the back of their mind. Just as they adjusted themselves to hide this new found emotion.

 

 
 
 
________________________________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 author's note 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -