03 - fated to (revised)

Love's Shadow
 
  chapter three 
                 fated to
 
 
 
 
 
 

After less than 30 minutes, Jin-ki finally arrived at the airport. With no time to waste, he frantically scanned the area for Mr. Jung. 

On the other hand, Yunho stifled his laugh of how Jin-ki had run past him a couple of times. How can he miss him when he is literally standing in the middle, and with two of the biggest men they could hire as his security not far from him. He shook his head in amusement before finally walking towards poor Jin-ki.

"Come-on, Mr. Lee. You're making me dizzy with you running around" he stood beside him when he stopped to take a moment to breathe.

Jin-ki was startled by the sudden presence of Mr. Jung Yunho.

"I think you should sit down first," giving Jin-ki a pat on the shoulder.

"Mr. Jung!" he bowed, "Good morning. I'm sorry for the delay. S-shall we proceed now to the office . . " he took his notepad from his suit pocket "Were supposed to be leaving from the hotel to the office by now . ." he sighed, Jin-ki's schedule was totally ruined.

"I already called Mr. Bae about the situation. We've agreed to move the meeting to 2:00 pm" Yunho said, however it is still imminent in Jin-ki that he truly feels bad about situation earlier "It's alright now, Mr. Lee. I'm actually glad that this happened. Now, I can have atleast few hours to myself," he assured. Ji-ki wasn't fully convinced yet but if Yunho wanted to relax then he'll relax as well. He nodded as acknowledgment.

"Alright. Then shall we?"

 

 

Aside from the low sound of the radio, the ride to the hotel was quiet. He looked outside the window and admired the cityscape. Whenever he visits Jeju. It was always business related. He wishes he could explore the island better when he had time.

But when was the best time?

After he finishes his business here, another schedule is waiting back in Seoul. All he can do for now is to admire the passing view.

"Oh, I almost forgot, Sir. If you could open the compartment in front of you, there is a treat for you" Jin-ki said from the driver’s side

"Oh? What is it?" He can’t help but be intrigued.

"It's a box of pastries. It was given by the owner of the cafe that I stopped by earlier"

Yunho didn’t waste his time in opening the box. And inside were delectable eight strawberry tartlets.

"Oh wow," he exclaimed.

"Amazing, right?" Jin-ki said when he heard Yunho’s reaction.

"This thing must have been expensive huh?" He admires the contents of the box.

"It’s not actually, Sir. I noticed that their other products were very affordable. Affordable and delicious!" Jin-ki happily bragged.

Yunho nodded. He was never fond of sweet things before, but meeting him . . . changed it.

Yunho closed the lid of the box and tucked it carefully onto his lap. He can't wait to indulge on this lovely tarts.

 

Tiny Heart by socksyy

 

8y-gPHXrff6PDiE_8kUQOVvEGKyMeD-V71-YwzhjAf3gAzkgG5uyN2BFfiON0ctGXbTzz1OHqMxjAOidwKsL2jhJXk27JvaPcUkAqezMlt0Y4jiuzCx9467Q83PK6aeJ9ifbLHDDKElq9yTiZnV1l6E

 

They arrived at the hotel where Yunho will be staying for the duration of his Jeju trip. Jin-ki led him to his room on the fifth floor. 

He got a room that wasn’t too extravagant but still spacious. He loved the room he picked because he had a great balcony that overlooks the wonderful view of the ocean.

"Sir, I'll be at the lobby. I'll come pick you up when we leave for Seogwipo at 1:30 pm. But do call me if you ever need something, Sir"

"Alright. I might just take a nap for a while, but thank you for the heads up, Jin-ki" he said as he discarded his suit jacket by the couch.

"You're welcome, Mr. Jung. I'll be going now, please excuse me" Jin-ki said and headed towards the exit.

 

Yunho was now left alone with his thoughts. Although his surroundings were quiet, his mind was loud. 

Some say he is living the best life right now, but in fact he sits all day in his office and gets his reports done on time. Like he should have done without any distraction. He hasn't been on a proper vacation in years. Which serves him right. Now, he considers his business trips as vacation. Not the worst punishment he has. 

He flops himself on the bed and just lays there. He was trying to ease the loud noises in his head when he then felt something slide from his neck. Oh. He must have been so distracted with work that he somehow forgot about it.

There in between his fingertips was a ring hanging on a gold chain around his neck. With his eyes still closed, he plays with the ring with comfort. Suddenly his mind wasn’t as loud as before. It now fills with someone with a soothing voice and melodious laughter that he took for granted a long time ago.

 

This was his worst punishment.

 

Growing up, Yunho has everything planned out for him. His parents laid everything for him from the day he was born, up until he took over the family business. 

They were good folks, very understanding and kind to their people, but they can be a bit controlling when it comes to Yunho. It was for the better, they told him.

It wasn't easy for his parents to get to where they are right now. They used to make investments that weren't profitable at that time and had lost their entire capital. They had no choice but to make a huge loan to pay debts. His father was adamant to make everything work, and here they are now. Yunho understood his parents' hardship and disappointing them was not an option. It was for the better, he told himself.

They picked out what university he will be entering and what Yunho was taking in. Although there was a protest from him about it, he still gave in with the condition that he could do generally whatever he felt like, which includes partying on the weekends. But with another condition that he doesn’t do anything hastily that could ruin their hardwork and reputation. 

He agreed.

He dreaded coming to his elective class. His head was still throbbing from all the drinking he did last night. It got worse when he heard Yoochun, his best friend, talking loudly and laughing in the back. He felt sorry for the guy beside him.

 

"Yoochun, stop that. You're scaring him" he said and smacked Yoochun's head. This guy is going to be the death of him today if he doesn't shut up for a second.

"What the hell man?!" Yoochun yelled.

He grimaced at Yoochun and proceeded to ignore him. He sat away from him. There wasn't much of a seat left, so he settled down next to the guy that his best friend had bothered. Basically sandwiching the poor lad between them.

"I apologize in behalf of this nut job"

"Hey I'm not!"

Still ignoring Yoochun, he turned his attention to his new seatmate. He had never seen this guy before. He was probably from another department. If so, that would explain how he did not recognize him. The guy had jet black hair and pale skin. His lips were pinkish for a guy and his eyes . . . It looks like it's holding the universe.

“Woah!” Yunho surprised himself with that last bit. “The whole universe, really? Yunho?”

Cliche, he thought but he could stare at them for hours if he could. “How beautiful” he sighs in his mind.

He can’t resist but smile at the thought of him being his seatmate for the whole semester.

"My name is Yunho. I hope you don’t mind me sitting here" he finally introduces himself.

"U-uh, n-not at all" the guy looked away. He could tell that the other was blushing. He could have anyone blush with no problem, but something about this beauty beside him felt special. Yunho doesn't even want to make him feel uncomfortable than he is right now, so he sat properly in his seat.

"I'-I'm Jaejoong b-by the way" Jaejoong looked his way a little bit "N-nice to meet you too . . ." and offered his hand.

 

Tiny Heart by socksyy

 

Yunho whined when he heard a knock on his door.

"hmmm... 5 more minutes . . " he murmured and put the blanket up above his head.

"Mr. Jung? It's time for us to go" it was Jin-ki. 

Yunho had whined again. He hadn’t dreamt about him for a while. But he could only blame himself for always working and succumb to a dreamless night. You deserved it. 

 

As much as he wants to get back to sleep to continue on his dream, if he wanted this meeting to end early, then he should start getting up now. 

“Just a sec,” He called out.

He made himself look presentable first. Tidied his hair and smooth out any wrinkles on his clothes he made during his nap. He then pats his face, making sure he is now fully awake. 

Feeling satisfied with how looks, he opened his door for Jin-ki.

"Oh, sorry to wake you up abruptly, Mr Jung" 

"It's alright. We should go now”

 

Pastel divider by Ponnui

 

Jeju's JS Holding Branch was one of the first establishments that Yunho handled ever since he took over the company. Jeju was a rich island. Famous for being the "Hawaii of South Korea" and very popular among the foreign tourists. However in recent years, some parts of the island had become a 'ghost town' with little to no tourists. With that, it made the residents abandon their areas and go to more populated areas. The effects of them leaving their places is that it has caused the economy of that area to go downhill and has greatly affected the residents that choose to stay.

Yunho decided that Jeju would be the perfect subject for his project of restoring its economy. Thus, establishing the firm. He has not been personally involved with the development of the branch because of the turning over of the main company to his name. But despite that, he made sure to hire the best of the best to manage them. It took him a year to finally be able to see his teams' hard work.

Over the course of 3 days, the schedule consisted mostly of meetings and updates for Yunho. Now today marks the last day of his trip here in Jeju and he was beyond tired.

"Ready to go, Mr. Jung? Is there any place you want to go before we head back to the hotel?" Jin-ki said from the driver's seat.

"Now that you mentioned it. We should go to the cafe you mentioned last time before we head to the airport tomorrow" 

He remembers how delightful those tarts tasted the first day he was here. And he’d like to feel delighted again after the stressful three days he had. Somehow the dessert reminded him of him. Something he’d like to be reminded of again.

“I should get some for the parentals and my sister” he tells Jin-ki as they drive serenly by the beach

 

Tiny Heart by socksyy

 

When Yunho entered his hotel room, he felt shivers seeing how dark it was. And the silence that surrounds it was deafening. 

It's moments like this where we wished he could turn back time.

 

Wish he could just take it slow for them.

 

Wish he wasn’t so weak.

 

Wish he could re-do his actions.

 

Wish he didn’t take everything for granted when love was laid out to him unconditionally. 

 

Because back in Seoul, in their old apartment, whenever he comes home for work, the atmosphere is always welcoming and warm. He'd smell the Samgyetang that he was making as he hung his coat at the foyer. And when he makes his presence known, he would be greeted by a "Welcome home, love", a smile, and a kiss

But Yunho had taken it for granted, never appreciated it much back then now that he is gone. For four years now, he longed for that feeling to come back. 

Wish he could just take it slow for them.

Because everything that happened to them was out of his impulse. Yunho hates to admit it but it was true. 

Wish he wasn’t so weak.

Love was so kind to him despite him marrying early on in their relationship. He thought he could be the hero that would save him from his misery, thus whisking him away through marriage. Yet he became the villain overnight because he couldn’t say no to someone that one one night.

Wish he could re-do his actions.

A no would have made a difference. 

Him answering his phone that night would have a difference.

Wish he didn’t take everything for granted when love was laid out to him unconditionally. 

And he thought he gave all the love he deserved, but who was he kidding about it.

Where could he be. . .

That had been Yunho's questions for four years. Even with the help of private investigators, it's like he just vanished. He left no traces as to where might be. And Yunho was afraid that something must have happened to him.

Everyday, he carries the burden of the fault he made.

 

Where are you, Jae?

 
 
 
 
 
________________________________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 author's note 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
Massive rework on all chapters to correct the grammar and plot.