05 - good day (revised)

Love's Shadow
 
  chapter five 
                good day
 
 
 
 

'This isn't good' Yunho thought.

"Jaejoong!" he yelled as he rushed toward his side. He has witnessed this countless times and knows how scary and dangerous it can get for Jaejoong when he hyperventilates. 

He tries to steady him but Jaejoong keeps stumbling away from him.

"Do- don't tou. . hah. .ch . .me . ." Jae wheezes. In his faint state, he managed to shove Yunho out his way and stumbled down behind the counter. He rummages frantically for a paper bag from underneath. Something he hasn’t used in while.

For almost 5 years now, he has managed to escape and hide from his old life. Though fleeing was a hasty decision at that time, he managed to do it without a trace. Until now. 

Probably somewhere during his escape, he must have left something that could have led Yunho here, he thought

But could he want from him after all these years? He wasn't forced out from his old life back. He chose to escape that life because he couldn't handle anymore heartbreak.

He tries to find any possible faults from his escape that time. His mind was so occupied thinking about his past and Yunho that he didn't even try to remember his breathing exercises. 

Yunho has found him. 

"haa. . . .haaaah . . . " Jaejoong is curled up in the corner as he struggles to breathe in and out of the paper bag. 

“Jin-ki!” Yunho yelled for him.

“S-sir!” he ran to his side.

Yunho gave out a rushed instruction on how to help Jaejoong ride out his terror. 

Jin-ki was right beside Jaejoong immediately. He tries to make the cafe owner look at him so he can follow his breathing. 

He hastily took over the holding of the paper bag so that Jaejoong could hold his hands. The older’s hands were cold, clammy, and worryingly shaking. Jin-ki rubbed soothing circles on top of Jae’s hand, pressing on it in time of his breathing. Which seemed to have helped Jaejoong’s breathlessness to ease out.

As much as Yunho wanted to help, all he could do right now was watch helplessly as Jaejoong rode out his erratic breathing. He’d like to be the one who’ll hold his hands and assure him that it’s gonna be okay, but moving any closer to him will aggravate Jaejoong's condition more.

Then he hears a tiny cry. The child.

"u-umma . . " Changmin cried. Meekly calling out for his mom.

There were several questions surfacing as he looked at the weeping child. He was crying out for his mom. Who was his mom? Then he sees a child running towards Jaejoong, but Yunho was able to scoop up the child on his arms before he could get there. Was Jaejoong his mom?

Yunho turns away to calm down the child who was flailing in panic because he was being whisked away from Jaejoong. 

Jaejoong was his mom.

"Noooo! Umma!" he cried even more and struggled to get out of Yunho’s embrace

"Your umma is gonna be fine," Yunho tries to comfort him. Hushing him as Changmin weeps on his shoulder. He unconsciously rubs his back and they rocks back and forth. It seems to have worked as the child's cries turn to snotty whimpers. 

He slightly turns his head to see how Jin-ki was doing with Jaejoong. 

Yunho felt himself relax a bit when he didn't hear Jaejoong’s heavy labored breathing.

“Please get me some cold water and a towel,” he orders one of the boys in the cafe.

Jongin was right on his feet and rushed to the kitchen to give him the water and towel.

“Here, you go” Jongin was back.

“Over there,” Yunho pointed towards the couch. “Could you take care of the child for a moment,” He says to Baekhyun next.

“Yes!” Baekhyun took Changmin in his arms. There was a minor protest when he was separated from Yunho. He ruffles his hair, promising he’ll be right back.

He marches behind the counter where he sees Jaejoong passed out in Jin-ki’s arms. With his first hand experiences of these situations, he skillfully checks Jaejoong's current conditions. 

 

He sees Jaejoong breathing slowly and steadily now. There was a light sheen of sweat on his forehead. 

He was still as beautiful as the first time he laid his eyes on him. 

“I'll do it from here,” He said in a hushed voice. 

He crouched down so that Jaejoong’s weight was on him. He scoops the beauty off the floor, noting how light he was. Yunho was careful to not bump on anything and laid him gently on the couch.

Yunho pulled his sleeves up on his arms and got onto wiping Jaejoong with the cold water.

They all quietly watched as Yunho expertly cares for the cafe owner.

"Umma," Changmin whimpers from Baekhyun’s embrace. He cried again when Jaejoong didn’t respond to him. 

"It's okay, Changmin. Your mom is alright now. He's just tired is all" somehow he doesn’t trust his statement. Was Jaejoong really alright? Judging by how he reacted just 30 minutes earlier, he wasn’t alright to see Yunho again.

Well, how would anyone be alright when you’re now faced with someone who did a horrible thing to you.

Yunho opened up his arms to Changmin and was glad that the child reciprocated the embrace.

"Umma," he called out from Jaejoong in his arms

There was a slight pang of jealousy irking inside him when he said 'mom'. 

Something he couldn't wrap his brain around is that Jaejoong has a family now.

Then regrets came crashing on him.

Wished he could turn back time. 

They tend to Jaejoong for quite some time now. The four friends had left once they knew the owner was in good hands. They left out their numbers just in case they needed extra hands before bidding the rest a goodbye.

Jin-ki sat further from his boss, just admiring how natural he looks with a child in his arms.

 

Tiny Heart by socksyy

 

Jaejoong could hear some rattling sounds around him. He could make our voices around but couldn't distinguish what they were talking about.

When he opened his eyes, it was slightly dimmed out. 

His body felt heavy, his head was throbbing, and there was a dull feeling in his chest. He managed to sit up from where he was laying and clutch on to his aching head. What happened ? 

"umma!" Changmin came running towards him. Tackling him with a hug immediately. 

Right behind Changmin was Yunho.

He remembers now.

He was seething from anger now. All he wanted to do now was push Yunho out of his place. Curse at him to never ever show his goddamn face here. 

To leave him completely alone. 

He felt his eyes sting. Not now. 

Memories then came flooding back. 

He had hurt him, abandoned him, betrayed him . . 

 

yet . .

 

He diverted his attention back to Changmin who was clinging to him, "Minnie-ah," he spoke in a raspy voice and welcomed him with open arms, "I'm sorry, baby. Did I scare you? Umma is so sorry," He hugged his child like it had been centuries. And Changmin was clinging back like a koala

He scared Changmin real bad this time.

"Umma, no more hurt please . . ." Changmin pleaded. 

"No more hurt. I promise," he rocked Changmin in his arms.

Yunho stood there awkwardly as he watched the interaction between mother and son. He felt out of place, knowing that whatever Jaejoong had been doing all these years, he was out of it. 

"What are you doing here?" Jaejoong suddenly spoke to him. The first proper interaction they have in over 4 years of no contact.

Yunho looked up and basked in Jaejoong's presence. Even in his tired and angry state, Jaejoong was still as beautiful as ever. 

There was a huge difference in appearance though like how he was lighter in weight. A bit paler than usual. And he lost his charming glow, and yet, he was still beautiful.

"I-I  . . . well . . I-" and suddenly he felt lost for words. His confidence from earlier suddenly gone. 

"What do you want from me? How did you find me?" Yunho can hear the bitterness of his voice but Jaejoong held himself from shouting since he had Changmin in his arms. 

"Look, Jae. I-I don't know . .I mean . I was looking for you. Been looking for you ever since you left but I never expected that you'd be here. And never would I have expected that this trip to Jeju would lead me to you" Yunho explained, there was so much more he'd like to say but Jaejoong had cut him off.

"I think you should go, Yunho" 

"W-what?" 

"Go. Leave us alone. And don't ever come back" 

"Please, Jae. Let me explain. I know what I did that's why-"

"You knew," no hint of emotions "Yet you didn't do anything to stop it," a brief silence before Jaejoong continued "You continued on with your affair. You tried to end it you say, yet your efforts showed none of it. You could have just told me right away," his voice was louder this time, "We could have ended it a cleaner way. But here we are in this messy situation," 

"I was gonna spew on more how greedy you are to want both, but looking back," he let out a humorless laugh, "I guess you loved Boa more than you did to me,"

"Jae-"

"Go" Jaejoong said sternly, "I don't want to make another scene. There is a child here"

Jaejoong didn't spare another look at him and continued on cradling the now sleeping child.

It was best to just go now. But he'll be back. He will not give up. Not this time.

"Changmin was getting hungry so I bought you dinner. . . . Good night, Jae," Yunho took his jacket gingerly in his arms and went on his way.



 

Pastel divider by Ponnui


Yunho had asked him to cancel his flight and inform the main office that there had been an emergency and is unable to go back until further notice. He has yet to receive any response from the chairman, Yunho's father, regarding his extended trip. 

Yunho asked for another favor in which to purchase dinner for Jaejoong and the kid.

By the time he arrived with the food it was already night time, and Jaejoong had yet to wake up. Yunho and Changmin were conversing inside whilst preparing the food. 

He excused himself out of the cafe to give Yunho and Jaejoong some space when the latter woke up. Judging by what happened earlier, something was going on between them. So it may take a while for Mr. Jung came out of the cafe.

From where he was standing, he could see Yunho smiling at changmin. There was something about his boss entertaining the kid while they waited for Jaejoong to wake up. Something heartwarming, he thinks. Something domestically heartwarming.

From what he observed during his three days with Yunho, the guy can get intimidating. He wastes no time in putting his point across to the people he talks to. There was a slightly heated discussion on day 2 which made Jin-ki shudder at the thought, as if he were the ones to receive those passive aggressive jabs. Yunho, on the other hand, just listened. Mentally, taking in every word being thrown across each other. 

Yunho probably had fun during that. Jin-ki could see a slight smirk, if he squinted hard enough. But as much as Yunho would like to see more of it, business was business. In the end, everybody could only nod, some sighed a yes, at Yunho's inputs.

They were a putty in his hands.

But when it came to Jaejoong, something came crashing down for Yunho. It's like the wall he built was falling apart as soon as Jaejoong was in the vicinity.

Jin-ki furrows his eyes when he spots Jaejoong fully awake now. The cafe owner wasn't smiling at all. His eyes then went to Yunho. Yunho was like a puppy that got kicked out of the corner. A different image to the stoic face Jin-ki was used to.

He stood up straight when he saw Yunho exiting the cafe.

"Let's go, Jin-ki" Yunho said

"Is Mr. Kim alright, Sir?" Jin-ki had no idea what happened there. It's not like he knew what was going on earlier either. 

Yunho just sighed in defeat "Yes, now come on" and entered the car without another word.

 

Tiny Heart by socksyy

 

"Where are we off to now Sir?" Jinki looked at Yunho from the rear view mirror and saw how defeated he looked.

"To a nearby hotel, please"

"Alright," it was best not to speculate right now.

They shortly arrived at a hotel just 30 minutes away from Jaejoong.

"How long are you going to be staying here, Mr. Jung?"

"I don't know yet. But probably a week or so," Yunho sighs, "A week won't still do though," he mutters to himself.

He'd like to stay in for as long as he had too. He'd buy a house here asap, no problem as long he'll get to see Jaejoong again.

Lord he wished he wasn't a big shot right now because that was the only thing that is keeping him from staying here more than he was required to. 

Looking at Yunho who was in torment, Jin-ki finally decided to ask.

"Sir, how long have you known Mr. Kim?" 

Yunho looked at him weirdly.

Jin-ki froze a bit but awkwardly continued "W-well, I just assumed that you two knew each other b-by the way . . you know . . earlier . . . it's okay Mr. Jung, no need to answer that. I know it's too personal. I'm sorry" Should have shut my mouth. 

"He is my husband . . well was my husband. He probably has found someone already judging that he has a kid now" Yunho replied quietly.

"Oh," he tried not to gasp at that information. Dubbed as one of the notorious businessmen used to be married to a lovely cafe owner  

"I did something horrible a few years back that resulted in him running away. I tried to track him down but there wasn't enough information gathered," Yunho supplied more.

"But I still tried until this day. I finally found him, Jin-ki," Yunho breathlessly said. A hopeful tone in his voice despite looking like he wanted to cry.

"I didn't mean what I did to him. I know it was unforgivable, but I want to make things right this time around. Even if he will never be part of my life ever again" he declared.

 

Pastel divider by Ponnui

 

Jaejoong watched as Changmin ate his bibimbap happily. He has bits of rice in his face, so from time to time he'd clean up his face. Jaejoong on the other hand has yet to touch his food. He just wasn't hungry at all. He was tired. Just want to sleep and never wake up. He wants to hide again now that Yunho knows where he is. Knowing him, he'd be back. He was sure of it.

"-mma, no hungry?" Changmin asked.

"No, not hungry. Go on, eat now Minnie-ah" he coaxed him

"Umma, eat!" Changmin protested and scooped some of his bibimbap in his spoon and held it up to Jaejoong to eat. 

He knew there was no arguing with Changmin. So he opened up his mouth and ate the bibimbap. He earned the warmest smile from Changmin, happy that his umma is eating now. 

Changmin can be quite persistent if it doesn't go his way. 

Just like Yunho.

 
 
 
 
________________________________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 author's note 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -