07 - hopeless

Love's Shadow
 
  chapter seven 
             hopeless
 
 

People like them with money, influence, and a bit of power over their country, are bound to be in the news once in a while. 

They've become another type of celebrity. 

People wanna know what they are up to, who are the people they mingle with, what business ventures are they planning right now, who are they dating as of the moment, will they settle in with the same kind of people like they were? 

It was best to interact and date with people within that circle. Their fortunes must circulate amongst them. It’s just how it is for people like them. 

Although his parents didn't blatantly say it to his face, their apparent actions of them trying to set him up with someone of his status were obvious though. But even though Yunho wouldn't fall for any of their dating tactics, they never pushed further when he refused. Yunho wanted to meet someone on his own.

They can dictate to him on how he should run a business, but never his hobbies and personal life. But his parents' reminder always was to ‘always be careful, coz you'll never know who'll ruin you’

Yunho agreed, but he can't help but let himself loose once in a while. 

To say it had consequences, nobody knows.

With the money and power that they have, scandals are easily contained. 

 

Head of the family, Jung Sung-ho, was accustomed to the antics of his son. Despite the strict reminders and Yunho's promise to behave, his son wasn't much of a promise keeper because every so often he'd get a call from his secretary or from his PR about Yunho's shenanigans. 

But it has been weeks since the last time he resolved something of Yunho's doing.

Sung-ho puts down his tablet as he stares at his son across the dining table. For once, Yunho wasn't grudging down the stairs for breakfast. He wasn't complaining about how his head was hurting, he wasn't desperately asking for something to ease the pain to the maids, and certainly not eye rolling constantly on his phone.

Yunho was fully put together when he came down for breakfast. He even waved at him and his mother a good morning, happily asking the maid for his coffee, and he has this constant smile on his face whilst looking at his phone. Which made him perked up from his morning email checking.

"Dad, would you stop staring please. ." Yunho pouted.

"Why are you smiling on your phone?” he casually asked.

“Am I not allowed?” Yunho retorted.

“Not that it's a bad thing," he sips on his coffee, "But I have never seen you so happy like that before” and it was true. Yunho doesn’t like his life a little bit. Although he appreciates everything they have right now, it's the lack of freedom that he misses.

Yunho made a face that was between smiling and frowning. He could see his son wanting to share what made him happy lately but was still second guessing. He’d wanted to know what was up with his son these days. But he’ll let Yunho have his time with this one. 

Not waiting anymore for him, “Well, if you're ready to tell me, you know where to find me” he took one last sip of his coffee, grabbed his stuff, patted his son’s shoulder before going to work for the day.

 

That day came a week later. 

 

Sung-ho was just about done for the day when he received a call from Yunho. Thinking it has something to do with these shenanigans again, he answered plainly.

“Hello?”

“Dad!” Yunho happily yelled on the other side.

He had to put the phone away from his ears for a moment, “What is it now?”

“ . . . uhm” Yunho suddenly went quiet for a bit.

“Yes?” 

“I-I’d like you to meet someone . .” Oh. This is the first time he will be introduced to Yunho’s date. He often knew about Yunho’s dalliance through his secretary and the PR.

“Alright. You’re lucky that I have the freetime now. Plus, I could use some relaxation” he agreed in a heartbeat.

“Really?” Yunho sounded surprised. “We’ll be at the Griffin Bar. So meet you in a few?”

“Sure. I’ll be there” he confirms.

“Thank you, Dad!” Yunho was happy again, “You’ll like him, I swear! Bye!” He didn't let him say something before his son hang-up.

Originally, he wanted to decline but something told him to check them out. See what this ‘person’ was like to have caught Yunho’s attention so much for his son to introduce them to him.  

And it wasn’t everyday that his children introduced them to their dates. Most especially Yunho. 

 

So he agreed.

 

Jaejoong was an underwhelming person, Sung-ho thought. He came from a simple middle class family. From what he gathered from the young man, he was the youngest of 9 siblings, and the only boy. They own a quaint little restaurant down Hongdae. And has a full scholarship grant for four consecutive years in the culinary program at the same university his son was in.

As remarkable as it is on the last part, Jaejoong has no benefit to them if he and his son were going to be together.

He had no connections, no idea how corporations work. Nothing. Jaejoong was nothing but trouble.

Yet, a year later after their graduation, he didn't oppose Yunho's plans on marrying Jaejoong.

He walked Jaejoong down the aisle, because his family wasn't there for the big day.

He kept Jaejoong away from the limelight because that was what Jaejoong wanted.

He did his might when Jaejoong's father demanded a ridiculous amount of shares because the father argued that they are part of the 'Jung' now after they 'let' their son marry into the Jung family. Let's just say that the father never tried to attempt to get a single dime from them.

He tried to lessen the blow of his son's torrid affair from Jaejoong.

Yunho's affair almost went to the media, if it weren't for him covering every tabloid and news outlet who had information about it. 

Sung-ho was in disbelief to know that Jaejoong left without a word after that.

Yunho was heartbroken when he found out Jaejoong left. But Sung-ho wasn't going to pity him. He ruined his own self and had hurt someone innocent in the process. 


With the unlimited money that they have, somehow, Yunho cannot seem to locate where Jaejoong was. He just vanished. Like he didn't even exist in the first place. It wasn't after 4 days ago, by some miracle, had found him again.

"Dad. . ." Yunho said with relief and sadness over the phone.

"I received a word from Yeo-jin about your extended stay in Jeju. Are there any drawbacks with the branch over there?"

"No, everything is alright but. . ." He felt teary-eyed.

"What's going on?" He sounded concerned. 

"I finally found him, dad" This time, he didn't stop his tears from falling. 

Four long years of searching for Jaejoong were over. But his regrets and guilt were far from it. He isn't going to expect to be forgiven. But he'll do whatever it takes to show Jaejoong how sorry he was. 

“I want you to come back to Seoul Yunho. Now.” Sung-ho said coldly.

"Please," he begged. 

“I don't wanna hear anymore excuses. I want you here. And only you, Yunho" he said the last part with emphasis.

 

Tiny Heart by socksyy

 

Jaejoong busied himself throughout the following day. Mr. Kang’s deadline was tomorrow.

With a heavy heart, he had to fully sell his engagement ring. He couldn’t pay his rent, so how much more if he had to pawn it. 

For him, it was the best decision. With the extra money he has, he can stay for another couple months and still have some left for him and Changmin to move to a cheaper apartment. Although he was now comfortable for a moment in terms of money, he can't seem to relax just yet.

His feet were a bit sore from going back and forth around the cafe. And everything in his body aches. But still he doesn't stop for a rest.

At some point during the day, his mind throws him back to yesterday's event. Jaejoong still couldn't wrap his head around the fact that Yunho was here. 

It brings him to question how he found him? What was he gonna do with him? What was his plan all along? 

Jaejoong doesn't wanna be involved with him anymore because he knows it's gonna lead him to more heartaches, and he can't handle such no more. 

They say he won a jackpot after marrying someone with such status but it was never like that. Marriage with Yunho was never easy. He never fitted in with their circle. He never understood their line of work but he was supportive of them nonetheless. 

Love was almost non-existent in his household. Jaejoong liked to imagine that love never reached him because his sisters harbored it all. But in truth, his father prevented love from coming to him. You see, his mother and sisters were afraid of his father. Whatever he commanded was to be followed.

Fraternizing with a gay man was not allowed.

When he left to live with Yunho after graduation, his mother and siblings didn't bid him farewell. Maybe they wanted to, but his father didn't allow them. He might never know.

Heartbroken as he was with the lack of familial love, Yunho's love for him was overflowing.

He never knew he was capable of being loved until Yunho came. He made sure he was comfortable with his life, never forcing him to do something related to Yunho’s line of work. 

But like anything that overflows, there will come a time that it will just stop. And Yunho's overflowing love just stopped one day.

At the end, he thought bitterly that he was not meant to be loved afterall.


Tiny Heart by socksyy

Saturday came way too fast for Jaejoong's liking. Him and Changmin quitely prepared for the day. 

Jaejoong was anxious the whole day. He didn't know when Kang was gonna arrive to collect his payment. 

At around 3 pm, Mr. Kang barged in to the front door and started demanding he payed up. Jaejoong was thankful that no customers were in the cafe to witness this, and that his son was upstairs for a nap.

He quietly retrieved a small envelope containing his payment from the drawer and handed it wordlessly to his landlord.

Like a madman, Kang yanked the envelope from him and poured the contents into his hand. He counted the bills over and over again. Seeing how his landlord's huffing tells him that something was wrong.

"This is still not enough! Where is the interest?!" Kang yelled.

"I don't k-know about an interest, Sir," Jaejoong shookly replied.

"Pay up, Kim! You still owe me!" he roared. Kang didn’t tell him about this interest, nor was he told about how much it was but he dumped all he had from the cash register, hoping this would suffice the furious man.

But he was not content, Kang shoved all the jars from the counter to the floor furiosly. Cookies and glass scattered all over.

"You still owe me, Kim!" 

Jaejoong tried to be brave, "I believe I have already paid enough, Sir"

"You talk back now?!" Kang raised his arms to give himself some momentum on hitting Jaejoong. He braced himself from the hit but it never came.

"Wha- what are you doing?" It was Mr. Kang.

Jaejoong unfurled himself from defense to see what had happened.

Yunho was deathly glaring at Kang and had a tight grip on his wrist. Kang tried to release himself but Yunho squeezed his hands around his wrist even tighter, earning a pained scream from Kang.

Yunho then shoved him away from the counter. Before Kang could lose his balance, Yunho grabbed the collar of his shirt.

"You better not lay your filthy hands on him," he then shoved Kang again.

“Hah, then he should have paid up his interest” Kang mockingly laughed. 

Yunho pulled something from his suit pocket. It was a check. He scribbly wrote $10,000 on it and threw it in Kang's way. 

“I hope this pays all of Mr. Kim’s dues” Yunho said coldly.

There was a smirk on Kang's face when he saw how much was written on it. 

"You better pay on time next month, Kim" he huffed and stumbly went out the door.

Jaejoong's ear was still ringing from the glass hitting the concrete floor. His knees then buckled on him. But he managed to steady himself by grabbing the counter. He has never been so scared like that until now.

"Jae!" Yunho was running to his side immediately. He almost slipped because of the broken glass around.

Yunho wrapped his arms in Jaejoong's torso so he wouldn't collapse on the floor littered with broken glass. Jaejoong had no energy in him to push him away, so he succumbed to the embrace. Yunho could feel Jaejoong shaking, so he started rubbing his shoulders to make him calm down.

It only took a few minutes before Jaejoong slowly freed himself from the man. 

“Jae?” Yunho called out to him as he quietly went to the kitchen to retrieve a broom and started sweeping the glass.

"Let me do it," Yunho gently retrieved the broom from him, "Just sit down and take a moment to breathe, I'll take care of it" and led him to a seat.

Jaejoong didn't argue further, so he followed Yunho's instructions. As soon as he sat down, he laid his head above his folded arms. He could hear Yunho unfurling the window curtains, and then the sound of glasses clinking as it was swept.

He didn’t know how much time had passed when he could feel Yunho sitting beside him.

"Hey, you alright? What happened and who was that man?" Yunho inquired.

"It's nothing," he said, still in his curled position. 

"Jae, you know it was nothing"

"And why do you care?!" Jaejoong stood from his seat and yelled.

"Jae-"

"No! You can't do this to me Yunho! You can't just waltz in here, expecting me to just run in your arms again!" he huffed. "Why are you here? How did you even find me?" Jaejoong backed away a little bit.

"I swear this has been a complete coincidence! But I've been looking for you non-stop these past few years, Jae," Yunho stepped forward. "I know I messed up. You have the right to not ever forgive me but I want you to know that I am sorry. And I will prove to you every single day that I really am" he pleaded.

Jaejoong shakes his head.

"You have done enough. We are over. And I want you out now," 

"Jae, please! Come back to Seoul with me. I can't let you and your son on your own now that I know that there is a threat on you" he reasoned out, "That man could have seriously hurt you if I didn't came on time"

As much as Jaejoong doesn’t want to come back to Seoul, and not especially with Yunho. Something tells him that he should. This wasn’t about him now, it was for his son too. Their son. In which Yunho doesn't know yet. He could manage on his own, but with Changmin in tow, he was his utmost priority. 

Jaejoong sat back down again.

“Jae, I know what I’ve done, but I still lov-”

“No. You don’t get to say that,” Jaejoong said solemnly.

“But I still care for you,” Yunho reworded, “I won’t say anything to anyone about your return. I’ll provide for you until you don’t need me anymore. But please,” he desperately pleaded, “Just this once, let me help you,”

This week has been truly too much on Jaejoong. Everyday, it just kept getting worse and worse. And his mind always drifts to Yunho ever since the other day. With the extras all gone to Kang now, he was out now. He wanted to smack himself because denying help now was like denying help for Changmin. Was this his punishment? Oh how his heart wanted to cry but he will not let his tears fall in front of the man he used to love.

“I’ll think about it,” he said defeatingly.

 

 
________________________________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 author's note 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
 
Longer and lots of revelation on the next chapter!