Chapter 7: Aesthete

Hold Me Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"She has a laugh so hearty it knocks the whipped cream off an order of strawberry shortcake on a table fifty feet away." - Damon Runyo

 

It's Shakespeare play day and it'll only take a few more hours until everything is over. The three nerds gathered forming a circle like a cult ritual. Yujin tightly held her teammates as they looked at each other with a burning determination to finish today's project. All the hard work will finally pay off in thirty minutes.

 

The three departments huddled, sending each other good luck messages and nods of comfort. They say if you did your best at something, for sure it'll turn out great, but the members thought it wouldn't hurt to pray beforehand just to make sure they have extra guidance from the odds.

 

Being the brain of the play, the three nerds proceeded to their respective stations. Wearing her headset to communicate, Yujin took a glance at the mirror to see if she wore it correctly. However, instead of focusing on her strands, she saw someone who'd usually take her breath away in just a second.

 

She could see Minjoo's reflection on the mirror. The girl was busy finishing the actor's makeup before the show and Yujin had to stop what she was doing. Minjoo was concentrating on her job, her meticulous eyes traveled to every corner of her work to check smudges or any unpleasant she might have done.

 

The taller girl could only sigh at the perfection in front of her. She can't help but feel something on her chest remembering that she got to taste the lips of the perfection she's been thinking of, and their last deal never left Yujin's mind since then.

 

Personally, Yujin didn't like grocery free tastes, she'd buy the food and get it for herself.

 

She texted Wonyoung earlier that she won't be home tonight for there could be some after-party, it's better to be prepared anyway. She wouldn't want her childhood best friend waiting 'til the cooked food gets cold. Alcohol was never a good friend for Yujin, nonetheless, she expected more to what can happen.

 

Thanks to Chaeyeon, Yujin suddenly went back to reality after daydreaming. The other nerd just laughed at her for being too whipped for a certain person. It was then, obvious. Yujin can never deny the feelings she developed throughout. 

 

"Fifteen minutes, Ahn Yujin, just take your time staring at Minjoo after the play," said Chaeyeon as she chuckled.

 

Yujin nodded and punched the latter playfully. 

 

 

Not long after, the crowd just got bigger and the loud chatters in the stadium began to subside after hearing the start of the musical.

 

Goosebumps crawled to the audience's skin after seeing the opening. The production team was made by solely college students, yet the management, creation, and all things related to the play were all labeled as epic. It only means that the brains of the play did a fantastic job.

 

“I’ll follow thee and make a heaven of hell,

To die upon the hand I love so well.”

 

Everyone would applaud from time to time as they praise the actors doing great, they get amazed by the props and transitions. The play was going smoothly. 

 

The three nerds would run back and forth to make sure everything backstage won't be complete chaos, of course, they wouldn't want to mess up even in the slightest part of what they do. 

 

When Yujin was checking if the next act is all dressed, she failed to not look at Minjoo, again, the latter was in the same place as earlier, except Minjoo's all sweaty fixing the actor's make up. She was trying to dry her face using the back of her hand and Yujin can't help but walk towards the girl.

 

Minjoo rested her hands on her waist after the last actor for the current act was done, she sighed in relief. After a moment, she was surprised to feel someone gently grabbing her hair, she glanced at the mirror and saw none other than Yujin. The taller girl fixed her hair using the tie on her wrist.

 

Then, Minjoo didn't budge, instead, she had this small smile on her face with the little gesture.

 

"Uh, thank you?" Minjoo said rather in a question form. She saw Yujin wearing a serious face while fixing her hair.

 

Shortly after, Yujin made sure she made Minjoo's hair neat-looking. Heck, if only she could say things normally without having a nervous breakdown, she'd tell Minjoo she'd look good even on plain pajamas with a messy hair. 

 

The next few scenes kind of made Minjoo's stomach go upside down in giddiness.

 

 She suddenly saw Yujin extending a hanky towards her. She was going to grab the piece of cloth but Yujin suddenly retreated her hand and wiped Minjoo's sweat for her. 

 

"L-let me do it for you," said Yujin awkwardly, still focused on her 'extra' job. Minjoo assumed that Yujin noticed that her hands were covered with different colors of makeup.

 

"...and if you need to drink, there's a bottle of water there," Yujin pointed. She didn't look at Minjoo and quickly left for the next act. 

 

Minjoo was just speechless, all she did was to suppress the big smile on her face.

 

"I guess you weren't that timid at all," she muttered while looking at Yujin's back profile.

 

For Minjoo, she knew that little gestures were one of her weaknesses, although she doesn't demand it to anyone at all, she's the person who'd appreciate a cat eating the food she'd give. And she felt like Yujin just got an A+ on her marks today except it wasn't about academics, but straight on her heart.

 

 

 

After two hours, it was finally the curtain call, everyone inside the theater stood up to give applause to the actors and staff of the play. Both people on stage and seats are smiling widely, loud cheers can be heard from some of the students, some are from their parents and of course, the organization itself clapped on their hard work.

 

First, the theater major was introduced as the actors, Yena stood proudly at the stage while waving at some of their classmates. Next, the fine arts department members went up the stage as the makeup artists and props people, Yujin on the other hand, was standing side by side with Hyewon and Chaeyeon. Once she saw the familiar faces at the stage, Yujin decided to gaze at Minjoo, the lights made her more glowing. It wasn't long when finally, the brain of the play was called to go up the stage. Yujin felt two hands dragging her up on the stage. The other students made way for them until the three nerds were introduced as the final members that complete the org members.

 

Minjoo was standing behind Yujin, she saw the taller girl look at her briefly and just in time, Minjoo winked at Yujin, making her smile with confidence.

 

The whole group then bowed with smiles and happiness.

 

 

 

After party as expected, some of the students giggled in excitement while talking about where would they have a fun dinner. To some people's disappointment and relief, they will be eating out not in a bar, of course, but Mr. Park announced that he booked a restaurant with a function hall so they could all eat together.

 

 

Everyone headed to a particular traditional restaurant, this is where most team meetings would always happen. The students including the professors excitedly sat on the floor and a long table in front of them.

 

The departments were divided, the theater department was in table 1. In table 2 sat the fine arts department as for table 3 which was a table smaller, was the three literature students with the professors. 

 

The noise made by more or less 40 people inside the function hall subsided when Mr. Park stood up and cleared his throat.

 

"Okay, everyone...I know we're all hungry but please hear me out first," there was a subtle chuckle from the students.

 

"I would like to congratulate everyone for a successful play today, you made your professors really proud and happy, we were only your guide throughout this project and the rest was driven by none other than every one of you, thank for the hard work!" Everyone in the function hall clapped their hands and Mr. Park nodded heartily for the acknowledgment.

 

Suddenly, Yena stood gaining everyone's attention.

 

"O-oh, I just wanted to say, thank you to our professors and seniors for guiding us, we won't be eating right now happily if it weren't for all of you," Yena said as she awkwardly chuckled. "That's why, on behalf of the theater department, we sincerely thank you fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter