Chapter 3: Mellifluous

Hold Me Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Safe Sounds;
Your name called, two happy syllables
from the bottom to the top of the house;

- C.A.D


 

Lately, it has been raining non-stop especially at night, but Yujin was glad that regardless of how much she loved the rain, she can't just avoid feeling burdened whenever she needs to bring an umbrella with her.

 

The anxiety that she might leave it somewhere—, especially if she's too occupied about something, bothered her. 

 

Walking with her earphones on made Yujin listen to soothing music that she can think of. 

 

She's not a musician but she has a thing with music, well, aside from the ones that are usually played using blasting speakers—specifically in clubs.

 

But now, looking back at her first try, it doesn't feel entirely bad, aside from the fact that she didn't get to do a requirement for a major subject.

 

Still, the brighter side of it was the experience that she gets to feel and meeting new people from the night.

 

Or meeting a certain person.


The nerdy girl doesn't feel happy in particular, especially when Yena told her about party girls doing things only for fun. And she needed to trust Yena because the latter knows more than her when it comes to liberated culture. 

She just wanted to stay cool first, like everything's fine. Avoiding the fact that she might turn out to be the clingy person she didn't want herself to be.

Yujin never wanted to come out as one of those clingy people who seek attention, although her inner self says otherwise.

She wants to text and call Minjoo so bad, but she's preventing herself from doing so. 

 


Ego, as it is. 

 


Not long after, Yujin found herself sitting inside the classroom. It was a normal day for everyone, some are just busy chit-chatting, and some are just too lazy to even proceed until the end of the class. 

 

Looking around, Yujin can't seem to find Chaeyeon and Hyewon anywhere. 

 

The two girls are her friends, not really to the point of hanging out, but rather they're more of the people who are too nerdy as well and would share the same culture as Yujin.

 

She grabbed her journal and started scribbling on her notebook, 

 

The bored girl started shading her self-made checklist, double-checking if she missed anything and so far, she was able to accomplish most of the things on her to-do list.

 

"Yujin-ah!"

 

Despite wearing earphones, Yujin was able to hear Chaeyeon's gentle voice. The latter was holding a pile of books on her arms but she managed to sit across Yujin. Observing her petite body, she managed to carry at least five thick books without a problem of tripping over since her hair was almost covering her face. 

 

"Hey~"

 

"Look, I got all these from the library." 

 

Chaeyeon cheerfully said. The taller girl checked out the titles, all of it was Shakespeare's. 

 

"And this is for what...?"  Yujin confusingly asked, blinking continuously at her classmate.

 


"Oh, I forgot to tell you that our department is the one in charge of the upcoming Stage play fest next month, we're going to work together with the Theatre and Fine Arts students."

 

Yujin sighed deeply, just when she thought she was going to take a break, Chaeyeon had to disclose that kind of news to her.

 

Just in time, Hyewon came back holding a sandwich and her books on the other hand similar to Chaeyeon when she got inside the classroom earlier.

 

"Oh, Chaeyeon-ah, Yujin-ah...You guys are talking about the show next month?" 

 

Chaeyeon nodded, "Yeah. And Yujin seems passive about it, hey, isn't it exciting?" She nudged the girl who's just looking at the books on her desk.

 

At this rate, Yujin should be feeling a little delightful because she's in love with studying anyways, or learned to love it throughout the years.

 

"Well, I guess we're going to get busier next month." That's all she can say.

 

"And don't go home yet, we'll be having a meeting after class for it," Hyewon added.

 

The two of them went on their respective seats and started reading the book.

 


 

 

The three nerds stood outside of one of the meeting rooms in the university, patiently waiting for a professor to appear.

 

As they wait, they talked about the things they have to accomplish before delving themselves into the upcoming project. They can't give utter neglect towards it since it's a major subject wherein they need to reach the appropriate grade.

That's the time when Yujin finally had the initiative to feel determined. She remembered her other subject in which she's probably going to get a low grade. 

 

She knew that she can't let that happen again, for she didn't want to be a disappointment to her parents.

 

After a while, a man, perhaps in his mid-thirties waved at the trio. 

 

"Good afternoon, ladies."

 

Mr. Park greeted, a professor from their department. He looks younger than he is and can be considered as one of the coolest professors in their university. He has this refreshing smile that makes some students squeal from him. However, setting that aside, Mr. Park's attractive point was being too dedicated to his work. 

 

And that's when the three nerds felt assured for the upcoming play.

 

They were now sitting inside the meeting room with Mr. Park holding a marker, writing things down on the whiteboard.

 

The meeting went by and the three girls listened to everything carefully, afraid to miss a single detail out.

 

"So, to sum up..our part is to write the whole script and compress the whole book to fit for an hour and a half play, you'll serve as the scriptwriters and assistant director for the play. Meaning to say, you need to work closely with the Theatre arts department, I've talked with the professors in charge from both departments and we'll have a formal meeting tomorrow." 

 

Mr. Park clasped his hands and smiled sincerely towards the three girls.

 

"Thanks a lot, guys and good luck!"

 

Not long after they wrapped up, grabbing their things before going outside the meeting room. 

 

"It only means that we're going to stick together every day for this. Gladly, some professors are kind enough to give us some slack." Chaeyeon commented while Hyewon nodded at her.

 

Yujin chose to stay quiet, she knew that whatever that is bothering her will fade away once she drowns herself with all the things.

 

"Since we're together, how about going home at the same time? Aren't you guys the same way as mine?" Chaeyeon asked.

 

"No probs with me...Yujin?" Hyewon looked at the taller girl. 

 


"I guess it's fine with me."

 


As they walked outside the university, Yujin was just looking on the floor, listening to Hyewon and Chaeyon's chatters about their literary theories about the movie White Chicks.

 

She would smile and chuckle a bit for some topics, and she suddenly thought about how awesome her two classmates are for managing to laugh at something that sounds intellectual. Their humor still involves book-smart knowledge.

 

"Let me just buy something there!" Hyewon's mood suddenly got more hyped up when she saw the nearby ice cream shop in which Chaeyeon and Yujin just shook their heads. They know how much of an eater Hyewon is, and it's one of her appeals as a person aside from being a math genius. But since their course involves more on literature, Hyewon is good at pragmatics and language structures.

 

The duo was left outside the shop after rejecting Hyewon's offer for them to buy as well.

 

"I was wondering how hard it would be for us to finish the script within a week." Chaeyeon initiated a conversation in which Yujin felt obliged to reply since she didn't want an awkward situation between them.

 

"I hope it won't be too hard." 

 

"Well, let's it treat it like we're doing it just for fun."

 

"For Fun."

 

 

"Just for fun.."

 

 

Hearing those words from Chaeyeon made Yujin remember the certain night when Yena told her about not putting her hopes too high on Minjoo. 

 

From scriptwriting, her mind flew to the reality of not having a word with Minjoo yet after their second night of making out. She didn't dare to contact the other girl anyway. 

 

However, she's dying to wonder if Minjoo was looking for her as well.

 

"You know what, Yujin, I changed my mind. I'm going to get myself an ice cream." Chaeyeon cutely pouted and went to follow Hyewon inside the shop, leaving Yujin with her thoughts outside.

 

"Why am I suddenly feeling weird,"

 


"I hate this feeling on my chest.."

 


The conversation between her and her best friend lingered her mind again, making her out of the mood. Suddenly, everything she hears sounded irritating. The voices of students passing by her, the car horns beeping on traffic, a kid crying, and even the soothing jazz music on the coffee shop beside the ice cream parlor.

 

Everything sounds annoying.

 

Except one, it was a peal of laughter.

 

It caught Yujin's attention and her thoughts filled with annoyance were suddenly swept away.

 

The sound of the person's voice seems familiar that made Yujin feel a thing on her chest.

 

She glanced at the source of the sound and didn't expect to see the person she's been thinking about since last night.

 


Kim Minjoo.

 

 


The pink-haired girl was talking with someone with a similar hair color shade just a bit darker, laughing along perhaps on an interesting topic. 

 

The two of them were clinging arm to arm, harmlessly, as per Yujin's point of view. Hopefully, she's not denying the fact that she's afraid seeing Minjoo talking with another person like how Yena described party girls.

 

But then, she felt her heart suddenly aching.

 

Minjoo and her friend were a few meters away from Yujin but the taller girl seems to be frozen on her spot, resulting for Minjoo to recognize her in an instant.

 

The pink-haired girl's laughter stopped for a moment, but the smile was there when their eyes met.

 

Minjoo looked at her friend briefly and the other person just nodded.

 

Yujin's mind wasn't processing everything, the last thing she knew was Minjoo Managed to stan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter