Chapter 5: Pathos

Hold Me Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Feelings are something you have; not something you are.”
― Shannon L. Alder

 

 

 

 

They say a good reunion can make a connection stronger, however, people nowadays don’t seem to go back to the moments they cherished back in their childhood. But it wasn’t the case for Yujin and Wonyoung, thankfully, their sentimentality helped them get along well regardless of not seeing each other for a long time.

It’s been only a day since Yujin’s parents left Korea for a business trip, Yujin noticed that there was some odd excitement on her stomach just thinking about her life from today and forward. She was thrilled to know how her life would continue without getting pressured of seeing her parents inside the house, expecting a good performance in her studies.

 

Wonyoung on the other hand, already did her best to be a good companion inside the house even for a day, the fact that she’s cooking eggs and toasting bread is a huge help for the two of them to start their day at school.

 

“Nyoung-ah~ I made you some coffee, let’s eat!” said Yujin as she stretched her arms and yawned. Wonyoung looked at Yujin and smiled.

 

“In a bit, let me just get the eggs done, you can get the toast off,” replied Wonyoung, she has her hair tied with her geek glasses, as she focused on what she’s doing.

 

Yujin nodded and did what was told, she nudged Wonyoung using her hips playfully as she stepped beside her, and the latter only smiled.

 

“Quick! I’m hungry,”

 

The two of them chuckled. The comfort that they’ve already established since childhood was present and helped them remove the tension. It was so easy for them to feel the same joy as before, and no one’s complaining because it’s okay.

 

It was always okay, with Jang Wonyoung.

 

Yujin glanced at the girl beside who was focused on cooking the eggs perfectly. She can’t help but put a small smile on her face.

 

“That’s enough, let’s eat. You’re going to get tired of cooking perfect eggs for the rest of the month,” said Yujin as she chuckled.

 

 

“Hey, I forgot to bring a towel, can I borrow one? I’ll just buy some necessities this weekend,” said Wonyoung, popping her head on Yujin’s bedroom.

 

Meanwhile, the latter was lying down on her bed, she hasn’t showered yet because it was a bit early for school so she took time to look on her bedroom ceiling while thinking of a certain pink-haired girl.

 

Yujin looked at Wonyoung and raised her eyebrows, she seems to be confused with the question.

 

“Sorry, what was that?”

 

Wonyoung fully entered the room and crossed her arms, “I said, can I borrow a towel?” repeated Wonyoung, she tried to sound irritated but it was a mere joke.

 

Looking at the girl standing in front of her, Yujin suddenly stood up from the bed and pulled Wonyoung to lie with her. Wonyoung shrieked shortly and was surprised by the action.

 

Now, Yujin went back to staring at the ceiling, Wonyoung followed suit.

 

“Stay for a moment, it’s been a while since we’ve done this,” said Yujin, she extended her arm and Wonyoung like the old times, automatically used Yujin’s arm as a pillow.

 

“You haven’t changed a single bit,” said Wonyoung as she smiled. She reminisced their old days when they were kids and how Yujin was still the jolly but timid person from before and now.

 

“You could say that you too Wonyoungie~, you still like closing your eyes when you're lying like this with me,” said Yujin as she glanced at the younger quickly.

 

“Do you remember what I told you before?” asked Wonyoung.

 

“We talked about millions of things perhaps, which one?”

 

“That I feel the safest when we’re like this,” said Wonyoung.

 

“Do you still feel the same?” asked Yujin as she used her other arm to support her head.

 

“Funny that I still do,”

 

Both of them smiled.

 

“Are you excited about school today?”

 

Wonyoung nodded, “Yeah, so better tour me later,”.

 

“Not a biggie,”

 

“How have you been Wonyoung?” asked Yujin as she gets into some deeper mood in topics.

 

“Always the one you knew, how about you?”

 

“Well, I never thought I’d lose track of myself. It’s been chaos in my mind lately,” said Yujin as she recalled what happened to her life after meeting Minjoo.

 

“You should get used to it, one thing I learned is that we can never plan our lives regardless of numerous goals we set,” Wonyoung shifted closer to Yujin.

 

“I think I have to agree, sometimes our medals way back in our younger school days suddenly don’t matter anymore, it feels like, it’s not needed in the first place,” Yujin played with Wonyoung’s locks and sighed.

 

Being the good kids that every parent wanted, Yujin and Wonyoung had always been the diligent students, academic-wise, they’ve always been the duo that every kid envied throughout their childhood.

 

“One thing I noticed is that, whenever there’s a start of a new chapter, it goes in a reset, I mean everything,” commented Wonyoung. “But that’s okay, there’s always a lesson in every chapter of the book,” she added.

 

“But filler chapters exist,”

 

“Doesn’t mean you have to let go of it just like how empty it might seem to feel,”

 

“Point taken,”

 

Wonyoung suddenly stood up and placed her hands on her hip.

 

“How is it a new chapter, Yudings? You’re not telling me everything,” asked Wonyoung, the old nickname only means one thing, Wonyoung will be bugging Yujin about what she thinks until she confesses it.

 

“I think it’s time for you to go to the shower,” said Yujin, she was trying her best not to chuckle but she received a sneaky look from Wonyoung.

 

“Not telling-“

 

 

Wonyoung smirked and Yujin knows what she’s planning to do.

 

“Really?”

 

 

“y-yeah,”

“Alright come here,” commanded Wonyoung.

 

“No..noooo!”

 

And that morning, Yujin ran around the house to escape the incoming tickle attack that Wonyoung was plotting a few minutes earlier.

 

 

 

 

 

It was again, another day dedicated to practice the incoming Shakespeare play. Everyone including those from the Literature department went inside the theatre and helped each group to improve what they needed to do.

 

The pressure in each student arises as their professor would ask an update from them from time to time. Hyewon was holding a pile of documents as she walked down the hall, biting a cookie, to look for Chaeyeon and Yujin, she spotted the two sitting at one of the audience rows and quickly walked over there.

 

 

“Here is the revised version of the scripts, double-check of the changes, please, thanks,” said Hyewon briefly as she chewed her food.

 

The two geeks on looked briefly at the script and nodded.

 

“Lunch anyone?” asked Chaeyeon, suddenly pitching to eat lunch together.

 

 

 

“Can we join?”

 

Suddenly, all three nerds looked at the person who suddenly appeared beside them. Chaeyeon smiled.

 

“Eunbi! Of course!” replied Chaeyeon. Meanwhile, Hyewon choked on her cookie and Yujin chuckled.

Eunbi stood there with some friends beside her, then there were other members of the fine arts department.

 

All of them went to the cafeteria and started ordering food. They had fits of laughter while talking about something random. The three nerds found it refreshing. The fact that they had time to bond with other people aside from always studying was worth it.

 

“Hey, Yujin. You’re probably looking for someone, right?” Eunbi looked at Yujin teasingly.

 

In all honesty, Yujin has been the quietest so far, but she was cooperating with all the funny stories. But, regardless of the company, Yujin feels empty since a certain person from the Fine arts department wasn’t there.

 

Everyone stayed quiet and Yujin was confused for a moment, she looked at everyone while raising her eyes.

 

“Minjoo said she’ll join us for lunch, she just needed to go somewhere to buy the stuff we asked,” said Eunbi. Surprisingly, she gave a soft smile after and there were no teasing voices around them. Yujin nodded and all of them continued to eat.

 

Yujin had her peace of mind, knowing that Minjoo is going to show up anytime sooner made her feel butterflies around. She couldn’t help it.

 

She felt extra boosted because of the existing tension she feels, thanks to the pink-haired girl. She knew that going to school has two purposes, to improve herself and to complete her day.

 

Given that it was the first time Yujin felt that way, she’s luckily coping with all the new cultures. Drinking out, eating out, enjoying other people’s company and most importantly, balancing what she needs to do.

 

“Hi everyone,”

 

The person they have been waiting for appeared, Minjoo flashed a smile to all of them as they waved back to the beauty.

 

Yujin wasn’t able to look at the girl, she was flustered. At first, she could imagine how Minjoo would walk towards them in her mind, but reality changes everything, all her confidence retreated.

 

“Hey, Yuj,” said Minjoo. She tapped the nerd on her shoulder and sat beside her. Minjoo exchanged smiles and words to everyone including Hyewon and Chaeyeon, but Yujin got more embarrassed than earlier.

 

“Why aren’t you eating much?” asked Minjoo as she grabbed a kimbap slice from Yujin’s plate and ate it.

 

“I..I was entertained by everyone, so I couldn’t focus on eating,” replied Yujin. Their conversation was enough for only the two of them to hear it. The others continued to have conversation topics, but Yujin and Minjoo were a little secluded in their world.

 

“What are those?” Yujin asked she pointed at the plastic bag that Minjoo placed beside her feet.

 

“Some acrylic paints. Anyway, you should continue eating,”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter