Chapter 8: XERTZ

Hold Me Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first and is waiting for it. Terry Pratchett

 

 

 

Yujin was sitting patiently in the cafeteria. Tapping her pen, she opened her notebook to review some of the notes from earlier's class. But, it was another day of not being able to focus on her studies.

 

The reason behind it was a certain girl who hasn't left Yujin's mind for some time now. 

 

Ever since the after party of their Shakespeare Play, Minjoo's presence got lesser. She'd reply to Yujin very late, and she'd reason out that she's always busy. 

 

It reached the point where Yujin had to ask Hitomi about the type of activities they do at school only to discover that somehow Minjoo's lying about her schedule. And this left Yujin in wonder, was there something wrong? Did she do something? Is Minjoo avoiding her?

 

It bothered her a lot and she felt uneasy because she feels like bursting out soon. Good thing for Yujin, regardless of her being naive in the field of love, she manages to think rationally at times of uncertainty. She wanted to make sure that whatever move she does will not affect her way of seeing and managing things.

 

 

Yujin's train of thoughts was stopped by the sound of a moving chair in front of her. She looked up to see Wonyoung placing her food tray on the table carefully.

 

"It's been a week seeing you with a grim face, you know," 

 

Yujin scrunched her nose briefly as a reply to Wonyoung's observation.

 

"I can't hide things to you, can I?" she said, scoffing.

 

"I'll take that positively," said Wonyoung as she bit on her sandwich.

 

"I find it amusing that you're easily affected by the small factors,"

 

Yujin grabbed her can of soda and gulped in haste. Wonyoung knew that her childhood bestfriend isn't taking her comments patiently.

 

"How should I react with the fact that she isn't talking to me? Have I done something? Because the last time I remember she was busy blushing over my comments, you know?" Yujin explained with a good emphasis but Wonyoung was busy slicing the pickled radish to smaller cubes on her plate.

 

"Aren't you being too cocky about your efforts?"

 

Yujin shrugged, she had suddenly felt frustrated because the girl in front of her has been triggering her thoughts the moment she sat down.

 

And surprisingly, Yujin felt like she was about to reach a certain point of actually bursting.

 

Especially, right at this moment.

 

 

A girl appeared in the cafeteria, smiling and laughing along with other people. It's the person she has been longing to talk with in the past week, it was Minjoo.

 

But aside from the fact that Yujin's heart jumped, she almost stopped breathing after seeing the person she likes with another guy.

 

And Yujin's confidence went from a big percent to almost zero when she saw how Minjoo wore a big smile on her face while looking at him the same way as she looked at her. The guy is good-looking and it seems to be a new face on the campus, given that the other girls are whispering over him.

 

The sound of her surrounding became muffled and Yujin's vision started to get blurry.

 

"Yujin,"

 

 

 

"Yujin!" The girl who spaced out suddenly flinched when she felt a kick on her foot.

 

"What the!" She paused, she was close to cursing at Wonyoung and the girl didn't like it. Yujin was in the middle of fighting her thoughts and emotion as she tried to ignore what she's seeing, but her eyes seem like they're automatically stuck with Minjoo's presence.

 

"I can see what you're seeing, but don't..." Wonyoung sighed. 

 

"Don't look that pathetic, please, you're not even sure who that guy is," she added calmly as possible. 

 

She knew Yujin's emotion is already at its peak and anytime soon, she might do something she doesn't mean. And Wonyoung knew that she didn't like Yujin mad at all.

 

 

Right at this moment, Yujin had a very quick flashback on how it all started, with her meeting Minjoo, kissing and flirting with her. And now, she's determined to get the girl officially but it seems like everything is quite a joke.

 

She felt like a joke.

 

Yujin balled her fist tightly, breaking the pen she used to tap earlier. 

 

"I...I need to go,"

 

Without a look, Yujin left Wonyoung in the cafeteria. Her bestfriend looked at her back with a huge worry in her eyes and shifting her gaze to Minjoo who she feels like punching in the face at the moment.

 

 

 

Yujin walked hastily to the campus backyard, she didn't know that she has this side of her filled with emotions that makes her stomach turn, she feels like punching something.

 

When she saw a dumpster she kicked it too harshly and eventually flinching in pain.

 

"Ah! !"

 

She cursed at the situation, she couldn't release her anger. She thought of calling or texting Minjoo to talk but the idea feels like she wanted to puke.

 

She can't forget how Minjoo looked at the guy intimately, it's sickening to even imagine that maybe they had somehow done something similar to what Minjoo did to her.

 

Just the image of Minjoo having other people with her is already worse for Yujin's emotional state.

 

 

 

 

It was again the sound of the booming music inside the club. Yujin was drinking her nth glass of beer, and she can't deny she feels drunk already. Yena has been trying to stop her but to no avail.

 

As she sat on the couch, she looked at her feet with a heavy heart. Another week passed where Minjoo didn't even dare to talk to her which made her more confused. But instead of her feelings fading away, it was getting stronger regardless of no interaction at all.

 

"Stop drinking bud, it's just a weekly quiz," said Yena as she patted Yujin. The taller girl apparently, reasoned out that she failed one of her quizzes the reason why she was drinking so hard tonight.

 

 

And being the gullible bestfriend, Yena believed it.

 

 

Little did she know, Yujin has been failing a lot of quizzes in the past two weeks due to not being able to focus. It was worse than before, and knowing the grade-conscious person, this was already too much for her. However, still unlucky, Yujin just couldn't stop thinking about Minjoo and the reason she hasn't been showing up lately.

 

She would see the other crew as Eunbi and Chaewon around, and the funny thing for Yujin, Minjoo's classmates were also asking her where Minjoo was, leaving her the idea that they don't know as well what has been Minjoo up to until tonight.

 

Yena stood up, she tried pulling Yujin to the dance floor to cheer up but she was just too small to pull the stubborn taller girl.

 

"Come on, bud, let's go with the others and have fun, you can't sulk with that quiz for the whole night you know?"

 

Yena, the least, did her best, and Yujin glanced up to her drunkenly. 

 

"Alright, alright," 

 

Yujin took a moment before standing up, balancing herself. Yena was chuckling at her drunk bestfriend but she believed she was okay, Yujin was alright.

 

 

Heading to the dance floor Yena already started moving with the beat while letting out little screams. Not long after, they saw other friends who were also in the club all of them jamming together, Yujin could only do a little like nodding her head at the music.

 

She doesn't have the energy to do a lot of things.

 

 

 

 

Then again, Yujin felt the sound slowly muffling again, she felt scared. But she couldn't stop looking in a certain direction.

 

 

Minjoo, was in the club, with the same guy.

 

Before she got jealous of a gay person, but she knows something's wrong now. She could feel it. This one's different, way too different from the previous case. And Yujin thought she could change herself in terms of perspective but she just couldn't stop the rush of emotions on her.

 

 

And what made it a nightmare for Yujin is how they danced together.

 

It was too close that Yujin felt like she wanted to throw up the amount of beer she consumed.

 

People made way for Minjoo and her partner on the dance floor, Yujin tried to look around for a moment, people are again whispering. She saw Eunbi and Chaewon with a big look of confusion, and Yena was hanging a little. But she managed to look at Yujin with a big worry in her eyes.

 

Yujin gulped, without anything on .

She feels like everything was slowly moving. Then she couldn't help it anymore.

 

She took a step forward to the person she's starting to get mad at, she was frustrated and it was an understatement. 

 

She wanted to release a big anger because Minjoo doesn't even seem to notice her presence.

 

"Yujin, where are you going?" she heard Yena call her but she didn't look back.

 

She felt warm liquid on her face, Yujin was already crying.

 

But before she even reached Minjoo who was busy dancing with another person, she felt another presence in front of her.

 

Yujin's world stopped, there stood a girl who blocked her from seeing Minjoo. 

 

And she knew the type of cardigan was familiar. Yujin looked up as her tears fell on her cheek.

 

Everyone was now making way for Yujin and the other one.

 

And Yujin felt something warmer than her tears.

 

It was another pair of lips on hers.

 

 

It was like the club stopped functioning for a moment, afte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter